Andrew

2016 Election Season

2,646 posts in this topic

This should be a fun thread. At the moment, I'm considering candidates on both sides. D: Sanders. R: Rubio, Kasich. Most of my lean is towards Sanders.

I'll give Harty credit, he totally called that we shouldn't underestimate Trump. He went from being a funny, somewhat sad joke to having everybody more than a little nervous--even though I still seriously doubt he gets close to the presidency, regardless of who gets the Dem nomination, it's seemingly way too likely that he's going to be the Republicans' guy.

I'm also pretty much totally behind Sanders, even aware that he's a very long shot against Hilary's name value. I don't know that any of his shit will actually work, but he comes across as an honest, genuinely smart person who's interested in the right goals. He's also somebody who I think will absolutely embarrass Trump in one-on-one debates, while Trump's style could have a field day with the Clintons.

So it sounds like Iowa's an absolute dogfight on both sides thus far. Crus and Trump are going back and forth with Rubio quickly going up, and Clinton/Sanders is neck-and-neck.

One ridiculous stat from entrance/exit polling had Sanders up over Clinton with people under 30 by a crazy number like 93% percent.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

How is Cruz able to run for president when he was born in Canada?

Upon Google, apparently his mother is an American and he was "nationalized at birth", and he's maintained he's eligible, but it is in fact the source of some ambiguity and confusion so you aren't alone.

I'm pulling for him tonight just to quell Trump's momentum. From what I've seen Rubio seems like the best of the main three GOP guys.

Rubio's the "moderate one" and he wants roll back gay marriage in 2016. Sign of the times. The only Republican candidate I would consider voting for is Rand Paul, I think.

27 minutes ago, xeph said:

Rubio's the "moderate one" and he wants roll back gay marriage in 2016. Sign of the times. The only Republican candidate I would consider voting for is Rand Paul, I think.

It's a shame that whatever half decent ideas Republicans have about foreign policy or economics or immigration are always undermined by the absolutely appalling view on social issues that most conservatives seem to have.  

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

So it sounds like Iowa's an absolute dogfight on both sides thus far. Crus and Trump are going back and forth with Rubio quickly going up, and Clinton/Sanders is neck-and-neck.

One ridiculous stat from entrance/exit polling had Sanders up over Clinton with people under 30 by a crazy number like 93% percent.

That's because Sanders appeals to all the idiots who think his economic ideas are possible

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

That's because Sanders appeals to all the idiots who think his economic ideas are possible

90% of people under 30 are idiots is what you're suggesting.

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

90% of people under 30 are idiots is what you're suggesting.

Well to be fair, I could actually see that.

Harty calling other people idiots is too rich, though, as it always is.

Just now, Andrew said:

Well to be fair, I could actually see that.

Harty calling other people idiots is too rich, though, as it always is.

Well the implication being that the number is higher there than it would be for people over 30 is what he's suggesting, and "adults under 30" would be more accurate wording here.

Regardless, yes, the idea is Harty is suggesting that he is supremely more knowledgeable about economics than nearly everybody in his age bracket.

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Well the implication being that the number is higher there than it would be for people over 30 is what he's suggesting, and "adults under 30" would be more accurate wording here.

Regardless, yes, the idea is Harty is suggesting that he is supremely more knowledgeable about economics than nearly everybody in his age bracket.

Not supremely more knowledgeable but I don't use the news as my source for anything. I try to look at things from a logical point of view and if it doesn't seem right I look up the information behind it.

Sanders is a strong case for too good to be true. He says a lot of things that sound are out of a realistic reach for us. I mean free college sounds great but the strain it would cause would be a huge hit to our taxes. Same with his healthcare plan. If he successfully went through with his plans our taxes would be at least triple what they are now. I keep seeing all the Sanders followers post the stuff about Sweden or Finland that has all these crazy handouts from the government but nobody points out that they have some of the highest taxes in the world

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Not supremely more knowledgeable but I don't use the news as my source for anything. I try to look at things from a logical point of view and if it doesn't seem right I look up the information behind it.

Sanders is a strong case for too good to be true. He says a lot of things that sound are out of a realistic reach for us. I mean free college sounds great but the strain it would cause would be a huge hit to our taxes. Same with his healthcare plan. If he successfully went through with his plans our taxes would be at least triple what they are now. I keep seeing all the Sanders followers post the stuff about Sweden or Finland that has all these crazy handouts from the government but nobody points out that they have some of the highest taxes in the world

Well, the tax argument depends on where you fall when it comes to higher taxes for higher quality of life.

My way of seeing things is that even if he can't accomplish all of the super nice things he's saying he wants, at least the things he wants are the right things. You've got a guy who wants to roll back gay marriage laws, a guy who wants to build a wall around the country, and a guy who wants people to be able to go to college. Easy decision there. And even if Sanders gets elected, and even if he had a good way to accomplish these things, I doubt he'd ever be able to get that much done without a completely supportive government, which he isn't going to have. Every candidate who makes a real run at the presidency is going to promise a bunch of shit that will never come to pass because the president simply doesn't have that level of power. They're going to spend 4-8 years in the White House and by the time they leave the landscape of our country will be merely nudged in a certain direction--if they don't make any horrible decisions. The key is to pick the guy who will at least be nudging in the right direction and not make horrible decisions like Iraq or trickle-down economics.

If we're going for the best, most well-rounded politician of the frontrunners, I'm thinking we're looking at Clinton or Rubio, and both of them have a whole package of shit that kinda ruin that--Hilary with the constant controversy that's surrounded her as of late with how she may or may not be some monster or what the fuck ever and Rubio with his ridiculous position on social issues. I'd honestly root against Hilary just so I don't have to endure the annoying-as-fuck tsunami of vitriol people have for her over the next four years.

And while I'm on that last bit, I really, really hate this trend I've been seeing where people take the politician they don't like and say they need to be in prison or shot for treason for whatever fucking reason. I've seen it a lot with both Clinton and Obama. Rick Dearmond from Bumfucksville, Kentucky is calling for the arrest of the president for treason. I guess Rick here with his prestigious two years of high school education knows something about the justice system that everybody else doesn't.

I spend more time reading Facebook comments than is good for the brain.

While I agree with you it is annoying to see people post about that stuff, Hilary should actually be in prison. She should have been arrested for so many things it's ridiculous. She took money from foreign governments and companies while secretary of state, she has the whole classified emails on a private account thing. It wasn't technically illegal but her response to the Benghazi situation was one of the worst reactions to a crisis this country has probably seen since the Kent State thing went down. Actually I take that back. Her husband ignored 2 terrorist attacks one of which was on a military ship. 

8 hours ago, Dylan said:

a guy who wants to build a wall around the country

I mean is this a bad thing? People want to welcome everyone in with open arms out of fear of looking racist if they don't but securing borders so drugs don't get in the south can only be a good thing. And TEMPORARILY (like Trump has always said) restricting admittance into the country for Muslims could potentially prevent terrorists from entering the U.S. and could prevent another 9/11. Everyone just exaggerates and throws around the overused bigot word instead of actually stopping to wonder if Trump has some good ideas.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean is this a bad thing? People want to welcome everyone in with open arms out of fear of looking racist if they don't but securing borders so drugs don't get in the south can only be a good thing. And TEMPORARILY (like Trump has always said) restricting admittance into the country for Muslims could potentially prevent terrorists from entering the U.S. and could prevent another 9/11. Everyone just exaggerates and throws around the overused bigot word instead of actually stopping to wonder if Trump has some good ideas.

You haven't even once considered what building a giant wall would actually mean economically, I presume?

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

You haven't even once considered what building a giant wall would actually mean economically, I presume?

I was assuming that this wall was only to keep drugs out and so people couldn't come in illegally. I know it will hurt the income of Mexican drug lords but I'm not sure how it will hurt our economy.

Just now, Mike said:

I was assuming that this wall was only to keep drugs out and so people couldn't come in illegally. I know it will hurt the income of Mexican drug lords but I'm not sure how it will hurt our economy.

Because it costs money to build a wall.

5 minutes ago, xeph said:

Mike once again vastly underestimating exactly how long the border between US and Mexico is

Either that or he's one of those people who just doesn't think about that angle of things, like people think Trump's gonna build a wall out of fairy dust and not add tremendously onto our already absurd amount of national debt.

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Either that or he's one of those people who just doesn't think about that angle of things, like people think Trump's gonna build a wall out of fairy dust and not add tremendously onto our already absurd amount of national debt.

Well, no, you see, we would pay a dime, because if he's president he can get the Mexican government to fund it for him. Mexicans love him!