Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Linkin Park Update On Album #7

142 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

You know there are 5 other members of Linkin Park, besides Chester, right? They made all the music, too. 

Really?  

I seriously thought that the other members quit after I listened to that song.

Just now, BreakTheAgony87 said:

Really?  

I seriously thought that the other members quit after I listened to that song.

Your comment made it seem like just because Chester doesn't sing literally the entire song that it wasn't a Linkin Park song. Chester isn't the entire band.

15 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

Your comment made it seem like just because Chester doesn't sing literally the entire song that it wasn't a Linkin Park song. Chester isn't the entire band.

If that's how you want to interpret my post that's your choice.  Not worth arguing with you at this point.

1 minute ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

If that's how you want to interpret my post that's your choice.  Not worth arguing with you at this point.

If that's not how you meant it, then cool. I'm just saying from my perspective, it read that way. Not trying to argue with you, I don't think the song is particularly good. 

I think it's a really solid, catchy tune. It does seem rather simplistic though, at least by LP's standards. Maybe it will work better within the context of the album.

My thoughts are this. It's easily the most pop song they've ever made and I'm curious if it was chosen as a single by their label for that reason or if it's truly indicative of the album as a whole. If it isn't, even though I enjoy the song, they may want to release a heavier (no pun intended) song to do "damage control".

I also don't agree with the "Kiiara ft. Linkin Park" comments because she doesn't seem to have any more presence than a typical duet. Chester does the first verse and chorus, Kiiara does the second verse and chorus, Chester does the lead to the last chorus and they come back together at the end. Seems like a standard formula and one they've employed between Chester and Mike before. The absence of Mike on this track and the fact that Kiiara's voice overtakes Chester a bit may be coloring this impression that she steals the song.

The more I talk about this song, the more I wonder if it was really meant to be the first single or if it was chosen for uniqueness among the material or even to be culturally relevant. 

2 hours ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

My fiancee and I both agree, if this was a brand new band putting out their debut single, I could understand this song.  In fact I'd probably eat it up.

However, we're talking about Linkin Park here.  I know the phrase "Selling Out" gets thrown around a lot, especially with Linkin Park, but this really feels like a simple money making song.

Yeah because this band has never radically changed their sound before :rolleyes:

Linkin Park doesn't need to sell out, they already have more money and fame than most of their contemporaries.  They've proven time and again that they like doing new stuff and this is just a continuation of that philosophy.

And also it's pretty good, thankfully.

I understand evolution but this isn't linkin park anymore...

very bland..overproduced. Not a fan.

ill listen to the album due to having every other one of theirs but this is not heavy or good.

imo

1 hour ago, pen said:

I also don't agree with the "Kiiara ft. Linkin Park" comments because she doesn't seem to have any more presence than a typical duet. Chester does the first verse and chorus, Kiiara does the second verse and chorus, Chester does the lead to the last chorus and they come back together at the end. Seems like a standard formula and one they've employed between Chester and Mike before. The absence of Mike on this track and the fact that Kiiara's voice overtakes Chester a bit may be coloring this impression that she steals the song.

My issue is that Kiiara does the second chorus by herself.  Give her the second verse that's fine, but bring Chester back in with the chorus.  Also like you mentioned, I feel that her vocals overpower Chester's when they sing together.

I do like how Chester has a little Tyler Joseph / 21P style at the very beginning of the song.

It's growing on me like every LP song does, but I am going to hold off judging how this album will be until I hear another song from it.

I can't believe that after all of this time, I'm actually looking more forward to a Nickelback album than a Linkin Park album.

I would have preferred a sound similar to The Hunting Party.

1 hour ago, RainbowDragon said:

If this song does well and charts well then they are vindicated. If it flops then they looks like fools.

I don't think they care tbh

I don't dislike the song and I think it will eventually grow on me. I just think to myself that like others have said, Kilara's voice takes up way too much of the song. If I was listening to the radio and heard this without knowing what it was, I would think 1) Why is a pop song playing on my Alternative station and 2) Would have no idea that this is Linkin Park without really paying attention to Chester's vocals.

I'm fine with them making this song overall as it's a nice change and Linkin Park never fails to show their different talents from album to album. I just don't think it's exactly the best choice for a debut single from a brand new album and would rather see it as an album track.

There are precious few modern artists as popular as Linkin Park that I have more respect for (even if I don't love much of their music, including this song), and it's precisely because they've never been afraid to piss off their fanbase. You always see the same arguments pop up: "I can respect that it's maybe good and that they want to do it, but it isn't Linkin Park", as if anyone other than Linkin Park gets a say in what they are or aren't. 

I personally haven't really been free feeling it since A Thousand Sun's and wish they had continued that more experimental direction, but fuck it, I'm happy for them to do whatever they want. If it isn't for me, it isn't for me. 

3 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

There are precious few modern artists as popular as Linkin Park that I have more respect for (even if I don't love much of their music, including this song), and it's precisely because they've never been afraid to piss off their fanbase. You always see the same arguments pop up: "I can respect that it's maybe good and that they want to do it, but it isn't Linkin Park", as if anyone other than Linkin Park gets a say in what they are or aren't. 

I personally haven't really been free feeling it since A Thousand Sun's and wish they had continued that more experimental direction, but fuck it, I'm happy for them to do whatever they want. If it isn't for me, it isn't for me. 

This is how I feel. If the album doesn't grab me, fuck it maybe they'll get me on the next one. 

I like this song but this does not sound like LP at all. Meaning Chester barely even sounds like Chester. It's an odd choice for a first single.

If I had to pick I rather have a "pop" album than a "heavy" album like the one they gave is last time. I wish they'd find a middle ground though, seems like they've had trouble deciding what they want to be since M2M. 

2 hours ago, Omar said:

seems like they've had trouble deciding what they want to be since M2M. 

I don't believe this, actually, and the reason why is because I don't think Linkin Park wants to be any one thing. The band itself was created with the intent to be a melting pot of musical styles and that was the reasoning they gave for their stylistic changes since Meteora; that being pigeon-holed goes against the core purpose of their band. I don't expect them to ever have a definitive sound, especially not six albums deep.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7694010/linkin-parks-mike-shinoda-talks-heavy-new-single-hooking-up-with

In this article, Mike basically confirms that fans should come to expect this of them by this time and that "Heavy" was chosen for the single because it actually does encapsulate the core sound of the album. Which is interesting, because it makes me wonder if this really is a full-blown pop album or what we're getting. It makes sense though, since the last album was meant to be a really heavy album that they'd now pull back and explore a lighter tone.

I think Linkin Park makes music mostly based on how they feel and what they need at the time and hope that their fans follow them down the rabbit hole. At this point, I doubt any two Linkin Park fans agree about what they like about the band or what their best album is. For every person who loved The Hunting Party, there's another person who absolutely despised it. That's what I guess I love most about Linkin Park, their willingness to be divisive among their fans.

Just as I expected, I'm not a fan. It's not a bad song, it's just an average pop song. I wanted them to continue exploring the sounds of The Hunting Party, but if they want to go pop that's good for them, it's just not for me.

Mike has been making the rounds in the press and he's confirmed this album is like the polar opposite of the last one and that there is no screaming on the album or super-heavy guitars and the title track itself is a mix of acoustic and piano.

I love this as I love that Linkin Park is not afraid to defy people's expectations of them and, in essence, troll their fanbase.

1 minute ago, pen said:

Mike has been making the rounds in the press and he's confirmed this album is like the polar opposite of the last one and that there is no screaming on the album or super-heavy guitars and the title track itself is a mix of acoustic and piano.

I love this as I love that Linkin Park is not afraid to defy people's expectations of them and, in essence, troll their fanbase.

I can roll with this, I'm very excited for it now. I felt like Hunting was heavy for the sake of being heavy. I don't like when bands force it. 

1 hour ago, Omar said:

I can roll with this, I'm very excited for it now. I felt like Hunting was heavy for the sake of being heavy. I don't like when bands force it. 

I disagree about the last album feeling forced as there's a lot I like on that album and I feel like Linkin Park was not just actively trying to make a heavy album but one that incorporated elements from their peers rather than simply being a retread of their earlier work. I think that's why the guest spots work so well, because there are elements of those bands in the final product. The Daron track had elements of SOAD, the Page track sounded a little bit Helmet, there's the politics of Rage and SOAD peppered throughout, there's metal and punk bits... it's almost a love letter to heavy music.