Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Linkin Park Update On Album #7

121 posts in this topic

http://www.theprp.com/2016/01/15/news/linkin-parks-mike-shinoda-gives-update-on-new-album-progress/

“It’s going well, it’s gonna be later… It’s probably like second half of this year, I think. But we’re started on it, we got some songs—they’re mostly just like words and melodies at this point. All the guys are really… I think everybody is pretty happy with where things are at. Brad and Chester have been coming in with me a lot and I feel like it’s really a good start. We don’t have any names for the songs or anything like that. But we’re back at the… We did our last two records here, I think… It’s mostly just vocals and pianos and guitar, like acoustic guitar, and some samples and stuff at this point. And even as stripped down as that is, I think we’re all really happy and excited about where things are going.”

Yeah always looking forward to new albums and music from these guys. I fear that they're not going to get it out until late this year or early next year if they haven't made much progress.

57 minutes ago, Mike said:

They've released so many disappointing albums that I really don't even feel excited about this album. I hope it's good but I'd be lying if I said I was excited for it.

I haven't been disappointed by a single one of their albums, but it's not like they've released a ton of albums either. I'm not sure where your cutoff point is. I know you liked Minutes, but does that mean you didn't like A Thousand Suns, Living Things, or The Hunting Party at all?

1 hour ago, pen said:

I'm not sure where your cutoff point is. I know you liked Minutes, but does that mean you didn't like A Thousand Suns, Living Things, or The Hunting Party at all?

To me, 'MTM' was their peak, their best album. 'ATS' was only nine songs and a few of them were really good in their prime LP quality but there were just too few good songs so the album was a disappointment. 'Living Things' isn't that bad but it's easily their most forgettable album. Off the top of my head I can't think of one song off the entire album. It's as if I never listened to it. And 'THP' is complete trash.

I agree that Living Things and The Hunting Party are complete garbage.  I'm fine with bands evolving, but there has to at least be a hint of the old band in the new music.  That was not the case with LT or THP.  If you got someone that had never listened to Linkin Park before and played them Hybrid Theory and THP, there's no way they'd think it was the same band other than the singers' voices.

Totally disagree with Living Things assessment. It combined the most elements from their earlier days with some of their more evolved sound than any other album. THP isn't garbage. It's just different and a different direction with heaviness which everyone seemed to want from them. I think the guest spots where fresh and pretty awesome although arguably not used well in some cases (e.g. Drawbar). But I can forgive a few duds per album. I doubt you'll get a perfect album from them, but no way you can call their albums/music garbage as a whole. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Totally disagree with Living Things assessment. It combined the most elements from their earlier days with some of their more evolved sound than any other album. THP isn't garbage. It's just different and a different direction with heaviness which everyone seemed to want from them. I think the guest spots where fresh and pretty awesome although arguably not used well in some cases (e.g. Drawbar). But I can forgive a few duds per album. I doubt you'll get a perfect album from them, but no way you can call their albums/music garbage as a whole. 

I agree with these assessments. I can understand why some people might not necessarily dig on them, but I think half the appeal of Linkin Park to me is that they're unafraid to try new things and experiment with their sound, usually with pleasing results. "In My Remains", "Castle Of Glass", "I'll Be Gone", "Roads Untraveled", "Powerless", "Keys To The Kingdom", "All For Nothing", "Until It's Gone", "Final Masquerade", "Guilty All The Same", and "A Line In The Sand" are among their best IMO.

I still like Living Things a lot, but I also don't care for The Hunting Party much at all.

I love that LP is an experimental band but I also understand that that means there will be some misses from time to time.  Hoping I like this next one more.

I still like "Hybrid Theory" as their best album. That is probably followed by either "Minutes To Midnight" or "Meteora" as a tie for second and third. However, "The Hunting Party" is my fourth. I liked "A Thousand Suns" and "Living Things" decently enough, but they just didn't compare to the others for me.

Linkin Park are currently in the studio working on their seventh album.

This time, however, the band have approached the writing process differently.

"When we started out as a band, we often started our songs focusing almost entirely on the musical “track," with no vocals until the end of the process," Mike Shinoda explained in a message to fans.

"The vocals were usually forced into the existing chords and structure of the song, which often times meant that some ideas we loved never "made it," because good words or good melodies never showed up, even though we liked the music."

"But this time, we decided to go even further, and write more “traditionally." We’re starting with the most fundamental parts of the songs—the words and vocal melodies—and completely fleshing out those ideas before we begin working out the music. That means right now, we’re only focusing on the foundations upon which the songs are built. Some songs are just one piano, keyboard, or guitar, and a vocal. The concept and words of the song are front and center."

Mike says the new approach is paying off, too! "The new stuff is really powerful, and the stories and emotional content is really shining through."

The band also invited some friends into the studio, but haven't yet revealed who's helped them with the new songs.

The follow-up to 'The Hunting Party' is expected to be released later this year.

Source: http://www.rocksound.tv/news/read/linkin-park-the-new-stuff-is-really-powerful

I read that article not too long ago, sounds interesting. Kind of surprising actually that this would be the first time they're putting vocals and melodies first.

Agreed. I didn't realize they did it the other way all the time. I gotta imagine they stick pretty close to some writing themes at least in some songs, but maybe the majority centered around the music. Sounds like a cool idea to switch it up again and see how it goes. I'm always excited for new LP tunes.