Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

The Leftovers

109 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Yeah, Laurie is cool. Excited to see where they go with her in season 3.

That B&E, laughing and blasting music as she drove away, then running over the GR members was so cool it compelled me to pull out my phone and make this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on both No Room at the Inn and International Assassin episodes. International Assassin is up there with Out of Gas as being one of my favorite episodes in TV history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude that first episode of season 2 had me all sorts of messed up... i had no idea what was going on haha. Thats why I love this show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Room at the End was very good. Ending was powerful as hell, helped in no small part by my girl Regina Spektor, whose music popping up in movies and TV is always a welcome surprise. 

Speaking of music, the cello rendition of "Nothing Else Matters" and the piano rendition of "Where is My Mind?" were chilling and the trend of classical-style covers of contemporary songs showing up is very welcome. And for that matter, the use of the original "Where is My Mind?" in episode two was spectacular as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not reading any posts here. Currently three episodes into season 2 and I have a lot of opinions about this season but I just wanted to come in and posts some thoughts about season 1 before they get forgotten when I finish season 2.

- When Jill's friend mentioned that she bandaged Kevin's arm, she said that he asked her something. We never found out what that was. I kinda wish we did. I'm curious to know if he banged her.

- I like Matt and Nora but I could've done without their own individual episodes. They are both really solid characters but I'm not a fan of when ensemble shows just focus on one character for the entire episode. I guess the Nora episode was sort of important but the stuff with Matt losing his church never really amounted to much other than him being a murder suspect for two seconds.

- So Patti stoned that woman to death and the woman knew it was her? Patti said this but everything in that scene made it look like that woman didn't know what was happening to her. And that scene was fucking brutal. Up until that point, probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a movie or show was when a family is getting raped, murdered and burned alive in The Hills Have Eyes. This stoning might've been more brutal than that. Tough to watch.

- In the flashback episode, Kevin is sitting there on the sidewalk smoking and wearing white. Two people from the GR pull up to get him cause they thought he was one of theirs. What was up with this? I just assumed this cult formed after 10/14. And I might be thinking too much into this but the thought crossed my mind that the manhole cover exploding was some sort of assassination attempt, as if someone knew the GR would be there at that particular time and tried to take them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys keep raving on this show so I signed up for HBO Now 30 day trial last night just to try and start watching this, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike said:

Not reading any posts here. Currently three episodes into season 2 and I have a lot of opinions about this season but I just wanted to come in and posts some thoughts about season 1 before they get forgotten when I finish season 2.

- When Jill's friend mentioned that she bandaged Kevin's arm, she said that he asked her something. We never found out what that was. I kinda wish we did. I'm curious to know if he banged her.

- I like Matt and Nora but I could've done without their own individual episodes. They are both really solid characters but I'm not a fan of when ensemble shows just focus on one character for the entire episode. I guess the Nora episode was sort of important but the stuff with Matt losing his church never really amounted to much other than him being a murder suspect for two seconds.

- So Patti stoned that woman to death and the woman knew it was her? Patti said this but everything in that scene made it look like that woman didn't know what was happening to her. And that scene was fucking brutal. Up until that point, probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a movie or show was when a family is getting raped, murdered and burned alive in The Hills Have Eyes. This stoning might've been more brutal than that. Tough to watch.

- In the flashback episode, Kevin is sitting there on the sidewalk smoking and wearing white. Two people from the GR pull up to get him cause they thought he was one of theirs. What was up with this? I just assumed this cult formed after 10/14. And I might be thinking too much into this but the thought crossed my mind that the manhole cover exploding was some sort of assassination attempt, as if someone knew the GR would be there at that particular time and tried to take them out.

Those are two of the best episodes in season one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah and both episodes are pretty seriously important for both characters. Before that episode Matt was just the preacher who harassed people with flyers, that episode was huge in establishing his character so that when he showed up in later stories his presence would mean something. Ditto for Nora, and her episode is an even bigger deal because she ultimately ends up being one of the lead characters of the show (along with Kevin), and before "Guest" she was pretty much shrouded in mystery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping season 3 has one more episode like International Assassin. For the most part, The Leftovers is quite a bleak show that doesn't leave much room for much humor or "fun", but that episode is a fun ride while still maintaining the gut punches the show is known for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished season 2 and I'm completely flabbergasted as to why this season received so much more acclaim than season 1. It felt like they aired the first two episodes in the opposite order. I enjoyed the neighbors next door a lot but it was a weird decision to have the entire first episode devoted to completely new characters.

The part that dragged the whole season down for me though was that Kevin was going crazy. As seen on The Walking Dead, the main character losing his mind is incredibly boring to watch. All the stuff with Patti and the episode in Kevin's dream hotel was so insanely boring because it was all completely meaningless. Video games do this a lot, they question the viewer's reality of what is really happening and what is in the mind of the main character and that stuff never amounts to anything and is always pointless because once it ends it has no lasting implications on anything. Patti amounted to nothing more than filler this season. Season 2 of The Leftovers was like the worst of Lost. Ghost Patti was just something for Kevin to do this season and they should've canceled all that crap and given some much needed scenes to Jill who was an afterthought and answer some questions like the utterly pointless Holy Wayne stuff that never amounted to anything and explain what the fuck was up with the opening scene in the first episode with the baby and mother who got bit by the snake.

The twist with the three girls was brilliant and I didn't see that coming and outside of the karaoke nonsense it was a great finale. They set things up nicely for a great third season but after the spectacular first season, season 2 of The Leftovers is probably the most disappointing sophomore season of a TV show that I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people just don't seem to respond well to watching characters grow and interact without direct plot implications. Kevin is such a different person at the end of the season, seeing the journey he's been on.

And I think the Holy Wayne thing was played off about as well as it could've been. Laurie and Tommy figured out that it was all a lie that Wayne himself probably believed and ended up lifting his entire act. The alternative was that he was actually the Antichrist or something equally absurd, so pick your poison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and Carrie Coon won Best Actress at the Critic's Choice Awards. Pretty cool. Still think Justin should have won best actor, but Rami Malek did phenomenal in Mr. Robot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh, and Carrie Coon won Best Actress at the Critic's Choice Awards. Pretty cool. Still think Justin should have won best actor, but Rami Malek did phenomenal in Mr. Robot.

Oh shit I forgot all about those. Kinda surprised that the Blumquists took home their awards. Dunst was a no-brainer, but Plemons was probably the third best choice from the same show nominated for the same award (and I also probably would've nominated Jeffrey Donovan over him in the first place). He was certainly good, but more in that understated way that Colin Hanks was, who also got a surprising amount of awards attention.

I really need to get on Mr. Robot. I can't argue with it winning Best Drama because Fargo's in Limited Series and The Americans aired too early to be eligible, so the only competition I've seen is The Leftovers which was pretty fucking great this year.

Speaking of awards, now that I've finished The Leftovers and had time to mull over Fargo, The Americans is still currently my top series for 2015. Fargo, The Leftovers, You're the Worst, and Silicon Valley are all right behind it but I can't determine in what order yet. Trying to rank 30-minute comedies against hour-long dramas is pretty much pointless anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt said:

Haha, the Kevin/Patti dynamic was the highlight of the second season. That final scene with her is heartbreaking.

Oh the woman who plays Patti was fantastic and her and Kevin did have great chemistry but I just couldn't get into any of it because it was all fiction. It was all in Kevin's head. If someone has an issue like Kevin has, you take your pills, listen to the doctors and you're on your merry way like Kevin's dad said and seeing a fake spiritual journey to freedom just didn't interest me in the least.

After reading up on this show a little now that I've finished it, it's not surprising that season 1 was entirely based on a book and season 2 was something that Lindelof concocted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure Patti was real and that was all confirmation of some sort of supernatural element. Otherwise everything with Virgil made zero sense, up to and including that he killed himself to get there. And how the fuck did Kevin come back from the dead twice if that was all in his head?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike said:

Oh the woman who plays Patti was fantastic and her and Kevin did have great chemistry but I just couldn't get into any of it because it was all fiction. It was all in Kevin's head. If someone has an issue like Kevin has, you take your pills, listen to the doctors and you're on your merry way like Kevin's dad said and seeing a fake spiritual journey to freedom just didn't interest me in the least.

After reading up on this show a little now that I've finished it, it's not surprising that season 1 was entirely based on a book and season 2 was something that Lindelof concocted.

Yeah, you really should rewatch, that wasn't all in Kevin's head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.