Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Site Looks A Bit Different Now...

35 posts in this topic

The new recent posts thing is interesting but I'm wondering, as I'm sure others might, if there's a way to still use the old style of unread content, as I don't necessarily want to see each individual post.

No, it's a upgrade they did and unfortunately they got rid of new content 

BUT the new way technically could be cooler. My understanding is you create your own stream of new content that you want to see. 

It does show only the last comment in each thread instead of every comment, but I think there is a stream you can make to include every comment.

In the current one, if you don't want to see the last comment and just want the list of topics, you can hit the toggle at the top right (see attached).

October 31, 2015 123905 PM EDT.jpg

I saw that but I wasn't sure if it was going to still show every new post or condense it down to threads with a new reply, if you follow me. Like if you posted here and then someone else did, would it just show one entry for this thread having new content or would it show two entries, one for each post?

25 minutes ago, pen said:

I saw that but I wasn't sure if it was going to still show every new post or condense it down to threads with a new reply, if you follow me. Like if you posted here and then someone else did, would it just show one entry for this thread having new content or would it show two entries, one for each post?

The default view will only show one entry for the thread and the most recent comment. If you change "recent posts" to show "all activity" it will have multiple entries per thread — one with each recent comment.

22 minutes ago, tljay said:

The default view will only show one entry for the thread and the most recent comment. If you change "recent posts" to show "all activity" it will have multiple entries per thread — one with each recent comment.

Ah. Well that's a relief. Thanks for explaining.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

With every new update, this site looks worse. Is updating the forum required or is this updating for the sake of updating because this forum was perfect before it switched to Alternanoise.

It's like iOS. You can stay on the older versions but it will eventually not be supported. Jay pushed the update through this morning and honestly I didn't know it was coming. You love to complain. Maybe try digging around and seeing if you can actually customize the site to the way you want it. 

Is there any way to make it so that way each thread only pops up once? I'm looking at the all activity page and if there are ten new posts in one thread I have to scroll past the same thread ten times to get to the next thread.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Is there any way to make it so that way each thread only pops up once? I'm looking at the all activity page 

You do know what the definition of "all" is, right? Your solution is to not look at the "all activity" page if you don't want to scroll past all activity. Use recent posts or make a custom stream to view only what you want.

I really didn't like it at first yesterday but once I figured out how to change the default to recent posts like it is now, and then toggle back to condensed view, it's now exactly what it was before, just formatted slightly differently with a small gap between posts.

14 hours ago, nixon said:

It's like iOS. You can stay on the older versions but it will eventually not be supported. Jay pushed the update through this morning and honestly I didn't know it was coming. You love to complain. Maybe try digging around and seeing if you can actually customize the site to the way you want it. 

I didn't realize it had all those changes either — I did it right away because it was also tagged as a security update/patch. I'm hoping in the future they'll branch their code so people can maintain currency without having to make drastic changes.

It refuses to save my settings in the "Recent Posts" page. It keeps changing it every time I click the link to the site defaults, not MY defaults. :\ 

Edit: Oh I think I figured it out. I made a new "stream" or whatever. Weird. Now everyone has their own saved stream I guess, haha.