Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew

The Clash #12 - Silverstein (c) v. Jason Isbell

The Clash #12   13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Silverstein (c)
    • Jason Isbell

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

That Jason Isbell song was actually really good. Much better than I thought it would be. However, I'm still more of a fan of the Silverstein song. If Jason knocks them out, I'm perfectly fine with it.

That Jason Isbell reminds me of something that would be released to Alternative in the 90s.  I am not a Silverstein fan, but in this case I do think that song is better.

hmm that's strange bc it's a country song.

No, I hear what Break's talking about. If it weren't for the country twang I could hear this being the sort of thing that Train or especially The Wallflowers would put out. In fact, I can really almost hear Jakob Dylan doing the vocals on this.

No, I hear what Break's talking about. If it weren't for the country twang I could hear this being the sort of thing that Train or especially The Wallflowers would put out. In fact, I can really almost hear Jakob Dylan doing the vocals on this.

Yeah I can definitely hear The Wallflowers or Goo Goo Dolls singing that song.  I would not have known it was a "country" song if you hadn't said it was Nixon.  It sounds like a Christian Alternative song.

Edited by BreakTheAgony87

I think the problem is that any artist who doesnt sound like what mainstream country music is currently gets labeled stuff like, 'Roots', 'Americana', 'Alt Country', 'Southern Rock', To me what he is doing is what I consider country to be and what it should be but its not because of whats going on in the mainstream. I kinda see what youre saying in that he and his ilk isnt 100% country per say but I feel its still more country than some shit like Sam Hunt and Florida/Georgia Line thats popular. "Red Dirt" is something different and is labeled the same things as I mentioned above but to me its still more country than whats out there.

Edited by DarkDragon

Yeah I can definitely hear The Wallflowers or Goo Goo Dolls singing that song.  I would not have known it was a "country" song if you hadn't said it was Nixon.  It sounds like a Christian Alternative song.

To me this isnt country and his songs are high on the country charts and have millions and millions of views. Its country because he has twang in his voice and hes from Georgia ? Nope I dont think so.

Edited by DarkDragon

To me this isnt country and his songs are high on the country charts and have millions and millions of views. Its country because he has twang in his voice and hes from Georgia ? Nope I dont think so.

To me those are definitely more Country than the Jason Isbell song is.  But that's the Country music that I do like.  Thanks for introducing him to me DD.

I think the problem is that any artist who doesnt sound like what mainstream country music is currently gets labeled stuff like, 'Roots', 'Americana', 'Alt Country', 'Southern Rock', To me what he is doing is what I consider country to be and what it should be but its not because of whats going on in the mainstream. I kinda see what youre saying in that he and his ilk isnt 100% country per say but I feel its still more country than some shit like Sam Hunt and Florida/Georgia Line thats popular. "Red Dirt" is something different and is labeled the same things as I mentioned above but to me its still more country than whats out there.

I like the "Bro Country" artist like Florida Georgia Line and Jake Owen.  I also like guys like Darius Rucker and Eric Church mainly because they are influenced by rock and alternative music.

To me those are definitely more Country than the Jason Isbell song is.  But that's the Country music that I do like.  Thanks for introducing him to me DD.

LOL why did you need me to know who he is ? I saw just one of his videos had over 40 millions views.

LOL why did you need me to know who he is ? I saw just one of his videos had over 40 millions views.

Because anything that is labeled as "Country" I pay ZERO attention to.  Plus, Chicago doesn't have a huge Country scene, so it isn't like it is a topic that comes up regularly in everyday conversations.

I've heard Jason Isbell's name thrown around a bit recently, but haven't listened until just now. I kind of dig it, but it's not going to make me vote against Silverstein.

it honestly has done better than I figured it would fair. I told Andrew that when I nominated it ha. I just figured it was a good way to ensure people around here actually gave it a chance and listened to it. 

That's pretty much what my approach is gonna be on future rounds. Dead Sara was my attempt at making a pick that I thought would be a big hit, and while it did make it a couple rounds, the reception wasn't near what I was hoping for. So in the future I'm just going "fuck it" and throwing something out there I want everyone to hear and maybe a few will really like it even if it doesn't win. I mean I'll still be picking things I at least think people are gonna like and if I have something I'm excited about and think everyone will really like I'll go with that--I imagine the "radio song" off DEP's next album will apply here--but I'm not going to fret about it.