Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew

The CLASH - General Discussion and Sign-Up

103 posts in this topic

So I threw the idea out there in the General Music Thread and got a few bites, so here I am committing to the idea and we'll see how it goes.

I'm sure you guys have seen other rock music sites do a CAGE MATCH or BATTLE OF THE BANDS where they pit two songs against each other and see who comes out on top.  I thought it'd be fun to do our own version, which I have affectionately named The Clash.  Now here's a general look at what I'd like to do.

1. Whereas most of these sites like to do these every weekday or something similar, I'm gonna dial it back and keep it to two Clashes a week, one running Monday-Wednesday and another running Thursday-Saturday with an off day on Sunday.

2. If a song is able to win four times in a row (a two-week reign), the song will be officially retired from the competition and inducted into a Clash Hall of Fame that will be set up.  This will stop the competition from getting too stale and memorialize favorite songs from the TLAN users.

3. Lastly, the songs are not going to be influenced by the hot songs on the radio or a popular band's new single.  Instead the songs will be chosen by YOU.  In this general thread, anyone who's interested in putting forth a song should simply say so.  All names will be thrown together in a pot and I will randomly draw them each time I need a song and talk to that person to get their recommendation.  There are no restrictions on genre (I assume you all know picking a non-rock song could handicap your choice pretty badly, but your call), and the only restriction I AM placing is that your song needs to be a year old or newer.  This keeps The Clash fresh with new material instead of just giving us endless matchups of the "Headstrong" vs. "Last Resort" sort.

And so I give you this thread after that sweet-ass wall of text to express your interest in submitting a song for The Clash, and to provide any feedback or criticisms that you think will make this idea work.  This could easily be something we can do for a very very long time if you guys like, and it's relatively low effort on my part, so I'm happy to run it.  If interest is there, we can start this on Monday.

Ready, set, go.

List of Participants: If your name is on this list, you may be called on to submit a song.  If you'd like to be added to or removed from the list, let me know at any time.

American_Idiot

Andrew

Bladenit09

Breanna

Chris7

DarkDragon

Dylan

heldjc

Lucas

Nixon

NinjaNick101

Pat

Pen

Xeph

Edited by Andrew

I like this idea as obviously II just tried creating something similar.  Would then songs be random or from two similar artists / time frames?  For example Breaking Benjamin - "The Diary of Jane" vs. Three Days Grace - "Pain"

I like this idea as obviously II just tried creating something similar.  Would then songs be random or from two similar artists / time frames?  For example Breaking Benjamin - "The Diary of Jane" vs. Three Days Grace - "Pain"

Sorry if it wasn't clear.  Both songs will be chosen by different users.  

Say you and Xeph are the first two people I PM.

Xeph submits song A.

You submit song B.

In our first Clash I pit these two unrelated songs against each other and song B wins.

I then PM Pen because he's next in line and he submits song C.

In our second Clash, song B and song C are against each other.  Winner advances and so on so on.

I like this idea a lot, but I think if we do this we force the person picked to YouTube link the song of their choice.  So-and-So might pick a completely random song by From First To Last, that nobody has heard and pit that up against "Headstrong" by Trapt (I got you Xeph) and it be a blowout because one was a #1 hit across THREE formats and the other was an album cut.

I like this idea a lot, but I think if we do this we force the person picked to YouTube link the song of their choice.  So-and-So might pick a completely random song by From First To Last, that nobody has heard and pit that up against "Headstrong" by Trapt (I got you Xeph) and it be a blowout because one was a #1 hit across THREE formats and the other was an album cut.

Youtube links will definitely be included so people can listen to both songs.  Also you don't have to worry about classic songs like Headstrong being a part of it because of the one year rule.

Youtube links will definitely be included so people can listen to both songs.  Also you don't have to worry about classic songs like Headstrong being a part of it because of the one year rule.

I was just using that as an example.

I think we should have a 3 year rule...Too many great albums from the past 3 years (not including 2015) to not have that rule.

BTW I take offense at you labeling "Headstrong" as a "Classic Song"  We're not talking about fucking AC/DC or Zeppelin here.

Edited by BreakTheAgony87

I was just using that as an example.

I think we should have a 3 year rule...Too many great albums from the past 3 years (not including 2015) to not have that rule.

BTW I take offense at you labeling "Headstrong" as a "Classic Song"  We're not talking about fucking AC/DC or Zeppelin here.

I'd rather keep it as focused on new songs as possible.  Probably gonna stick with one year unless a lot of people speak out about it.

And you take offense to that?

I get your point but for example, my local radio station plays AC/DC, Zep, AND Headstrong (the only Trapt song they play) so yeah its considered a classic by the radio industry for whatever thats worth.

Edited by DarkDragon

I'd rather keep it as focused on new songs as possible.  Probably gonna stick with one year unless a lot of people speak out about it.

And you take offense to that?

I thought that when I listed two bands that are clearly labeled as "Classic Rock" I was being sarcastic.  This maybe where the problem lies with a lot of you guys on here.  You take things I say more seriously than I mean them to be.  I wish there were more emoticons than what we have so far, because I think I'd use them very frequently to convey the true meaning of my posts.

I thought that when I listed two bands that are clearly labeled as "Classic Rock" I was being sarcastic.  This maybe where the problem lies with a lot of you guys on here.  You take things I say more seriously than I mean them to be.  I wish there were more emoticons than what we have so far, because I think I'd use them very frequently to convey the true meaning of my posts.

Alright, sure.

Safe to assume everyone who's posted so far is interested in submitting songs?  I'll throw your names together and get in touch with our first two candidates by the weekend.

Anyone else who still wants their name in the hat, speak up.  I'll try and update the OP with everyone who's participating.

Is it one year to the day or 1 year in general?  

In other words, if I was chosen on Saturday, would I have to submit a song that was from August 15th, 2014 - Present?  Or just a song released in the years 2014 and 2015?

Might want to specify that even if it might sound obvious.

If it is in general, I still think a 2 year limit is fair.  I'll throw some Alter Bridge Fortress at you if that were the case.

Is it one year to the day or 1 year in general?  

In other words, if I was chosen on Saturday, would I have to submit a song that was from August 15th, 2014 - Present?  Or just a song released in the years 2014 and 2015?

Might want to specify that even if it might sound obvious.

If it is in general, I still think a 2 year limit is fair.  I'll throw some Alter Bridge Fortress at you if that were the case.

One year to the day, but I'll offer a little leniency if you really wanna pick a song that's just a week or two off.

One year to the day, but I'll offer a little leniency if you really wanna pick a song that's just a week or two off.

This is the part I completely disagree with.  Say what you like but you are killing a bunch of great albums by doing this.  Starset, Nothing More, Crosses, Chevelle, Linkin Park, Seether, etc. are all eliminated because of THIS ruling

This is the part I completely disagree with.  Say what you like but you are killing a bunch of great albums by doing this.  Starset, Nothing More, Crosses, Chevelle, Linkin Park, Seether, etc. are all eliminated because of THIS ruling

Those bands will make new albums. Try to find more stuff from this year.

That is what the entire "Bands to Know" topic is for, as well as the Album Discussion topic.  Nothing that hasn't already been talked about within the past year.

If anything this past year (to the day) has been the heaviest in terms of bands we already know a lot about. 

I feel this only works if we pit older material from bands who have released newer material (Imagine Dragons, RED, Flyleaf for example) against newer bands (Starset, Nothing More, Crosses)

This is why I proposed a 3 year limit, but then amended it to 2 years (in general.  All of 2013 - All of 2015)

I'm honestly more interested in this idea as an actual way to bring music to the attention of the forum, not as a way to pit songs we already know about against each other.

Long story short, the idea was noble from you Andrew, but in the end it was absolute crap because of "your followers"  

I am glad that I am considered an "outsider" or a "new member" to this forum.  I don't feel obligated to support the bullshit spewed from the "Veteran" members. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0