pen

In Case Anyone Hasn't Noticed...

162 posts in this topic

There's been a slight change to my descriptor on my profile. Without further preamble, the jist of things is that while Jay will still be keeping the forum running and funded, I am now effectively the administrator. Which means I can make the forum rules; I can ban, unban, and suspend people; I can make new moderators. I can probably do other stuff I have yet to figure out; I haven't gone exploring yet.

Anyway, discuss!

As for my first request to the new boss, I ask that Harty and DD be reinstated. Yes they're gonna bring their warts and start dumbass arguments, but those arguments tend to bring people to the forum, and from there those people will tend to post on other threads. Something must be done because good God this place has been dead since they were banned. Even if they're brought back on a zero tolerance policy, give them one more chance.

I'm curious why this happened. Is Jay not gonna be on here much anymore? Did Pen buy this site or something?

As for Pen, I have no problem with this as long as he doesn't act like some forum moderators that have egos and constantly need to flex their muscle for no reason. I'm not talking about any mods on here, just my experience from posting on the horrendous GameSpot forums many years ago. I've always felt that the best mods are the mods that you don't even know are mods. I'm sure Pen will do fine.

As for my first request to the new boss, I ask that Harty and DD be reinstated. Yes they're gonna bring their warts and start dumbass arguments, but those arguments tend to bring people to the forum, and from there those people will tend to post on other threads. Something must be done because good God this place has been dead since they were banned. Even if they're brought back on a zero tolerance policy, give them one more chance.

Yep I agree with this as well. I was really curious what DD thought of the new Terminator movie but he wasn't here to discuss it. As one of his biggest rivals on here, I still want him back. This forum has been very boring lately without some of its controversial figures here.

Jay's username is completely *gone* from what I can see. I had a message to him for some Fantasy Stuff. I guess I'll PM you about it now, Pen. This is not too shocking i suppose, just interesting an announcement wasn't made before he left.

Are you fucking crazy? This is the most shocking moment in TuneLab history if Jay is gone and that will easily be the biggest blow to the TL forums ever.

Let me clarify that I kinda felt in the back of my mind that Jay mind eventually give up on the music website stuff and fully shut down the main website (which I have no idea if that will happen) but I'd never expect him to delete his account on the forum. That is the shocking thing to me. I'm also not surprised the forum is staying as Jay is a stand-up guy and I wouldn't expect him to destroy our community by deleting the forum.

I second this.

I too am shocked Jay would just go and delete his account. I get making pen in charge, but to completely remove yourself from the community? Doesn't make sense.

The fact that Jay deleted his account but is still finding it is a little weird. I'm not sure how much it costs to run a forum, but it's a nice gesture from Jay to keep paying for it because he said he'd never take it down. But on the other hand, if it's something that costs $50 a month to run or something, no one would really blame him if he stopped footing the bill.

I'm not shocked because I knew of his intentions to try and put the forum on someone else's shoulders to run it, etc. I actually discussed it with him, but Pen is a great fit. I don't mind the change. Jay honestly only provided input on the forum on a fairly irregular basis if we're being honest. Most of that was probably in response to Harty's general idiocy on things in the news posts and such. He didn't really do much else. I think he voted in a few rounds of MM too, but anyways. I don't blame the guy. He's got a family that probably takes up a lot of his time and maybe he just decided to pull a Flyfreak and use that time in a more constructive manner. It does suck, though, and I'll miss his appearances in some conversations as he always intelligently stated facts and his highly regarded opinions into the mix.

I'm not shocked because I knew of his intentions to try and put the forum on someone else's shoulders to run it, etc. I actually discussed it with him, but Pen is a great fit. I don't mind the change. Jay honestly only provided input on the forum on a fairly irregular basis if we're being honest. Most of that was probably in response to Harty's general idiocy on things in the news posts and such. He didn't really do much else. I think he voted in a few rounds of MM too, but anyways. I don't blame the guy. He's got a family that probably takes up a lot of his time and maybe he just decided to pull a Flyfreak and use that time in a more constructive manner. It does suck, though, and I'll miss his appearances in some conversations as he always intelligently stated facts and his highly regarded opinions into the mix.

I think everyone understands why he wouldn't post anymore, frankly like you said he hardly posted at all. But it is strange that instead of just not posting, he just deleted his account. My best guess is that his account had to be deleted for whatever reason in order to give Pen his "powers". Other than that I don't get it. What would be the harm in keeping your account and just coming here to post if the Ravens win a playoff game or something.

True, i guess that part is shocking. Maybe it is like you said he had to remove it due to the admin powers. He didn't want them anymore and moved it solely to Pen. That's my guess as well.

I'm going to sleep right now, but tomorrow I will answer as much of this as I can. It sounds like you guys have pieced together most of it already though. Yes, Jay deleted his profile. No, he's not going to be an active participant on the forum anymore. Yes, he is still around in the sense that he will be funding the board and will be available for legal purposes, but that's the extent of it from what I understand. This is actually something Jay and I had talked about previously toward the end of last year but it didn't go anywhere at the time because of reasons, but now it's on like Donkey Kong.

Anyhoo, I'll elaborate more tomorrow and answer some of the other questions in here. I know we have things to discuss regarding fantasy football and also the question broached of Harty and DD. We'll get to that.

Alright, going to try to reply to as much as possible here.

Jay made a good choice.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone. I feel this will be a pretty smooth transition, nothing is changing and I don't intend to do anything crazy so it should just be business as usual here. As I said yesterday, Jay and I had talked before about him passing the keys over to me. Then we hit that sang where the forum lost ad support so the forum stopped being self-sustaining and I can't afford to keep a site afloat. This is pure speculation on my part but I imagine that's why Jay has passed the keys in this way; with him still handling the funding but with me handling the actual overseeing. Works out for everyone; no need to question it.

When I made this thread, the next thing I did was ask Jay how long he thought it would take for someone to ask me this. Here's my thought. I still think that DD would benefit more from being away from this forum, but at the same time if everyone wants him and Harty to return, I'm not going to say no (unless they do something really serious). I will be setting up a thread as a poll to determine if enough people want them to come back. Depending on the result, I'll go from there. I can't stop people from only wanting them back for "entertainment" purposes, but I would ask that people think long and hard before saying yes or no.

As for Pen, I have no problem with this as long as he doesn't act like some forum moderators that have egos and constantly need to flex their muscle for no reason. I'm not talking about any mods on here, just my experience from posting on the horrendous GameSpot forums many years ago. I've always felt that the best mods are the mods that you don't even know are mods. I'm sure Pen will do fine.

Thanks, and no, I see no need to rock the boat for any reason. Obviously if someone does something incredibly stupid, I will need to step in, but we've been an engine of chaos for years now. Why stop?

Jay's username is completely *gone* from what I can see. I had a message to him for some Fantasy Stuff. I guess I'll PM you about it now, Pen. This is not too shocking i suppose, just interesting an announcement wasn't made before he left.

It's funny cause my mom's been in town and so I was out and about with her and I checked my email and saw Jay's message and I was like, oh, I'm Tunelab's admin now. It was just such a funny shock. Anyway, I'll take a look at the fantasy stuff. If I need to ask him something about that, and I'm sure I will, I can.

Not sure if this is related to the change in management but I noticed that the forums are running a little slower today. Anyone else notice this?

I haven't noticed any change in speed and I've been on here all morning. Might just be your imagination but if anyone notices anything off, let me know.

I think everyone understands why he wouldn't post anymore, frankly like you said he hardly posted at all. But it is strange that instead of just not posting, he just deleted his account. My best guess is that his account had to be deleted for whatever reason in order to give Pen his "powers". Other than that I don't get it. What would be the harm in keeping your account and just coming here to post if the Ravens win a playoff game or something.

I don't know Jay's specific reasons for deleting his account. I will say that Jay is still "around", and that's all I'll say unless he gives me permission to say more or does it himself, but for all intents and purposes, Jay is not an active member of the community anymore and I imagine him deleting his account is probably to help ensure that's the case. I don't think him deleting his account had anything to do with giving me my powers.

Congrats Penjamin.  As always, if you need any help handling the load, gimme a holler.

Thanks. Actually, are you no longer a moderator? If you're not then my first action as admin will be to reinstate you. Although checking the Admin panel I do still see you have the Moderator field... upon checking, it still shows you having that field but it didn't show you as part of the moderator team until I changed your primary group to Moderator.

I'm thinking of it being like it was with Jay, where me and you were moderators and keeping a triad approach. Which means I'd like to have another one, preferably someone who's around when you're not and someone who can keep a level head. If anyone is interested, let me know. Honestly, it's not like there's much to moderate around here. It's mostly just about letting me know if something goes down that I need to be aware of.

That's weird he just left without a goodbye but that's nice of him to keep footing the bill to keep the forum up. If he ever gets tired of paying, I'd gladly help chip in to keep this place alive. Now the three head-honchos of TuneLab over the years (Jay, Chris and Mikel) are all officially gone. It's a new day. Jay was a good guy from what I knew of him talking on here. I'll miss him. Even though he was never the most active user on the forums, his loss is easily the biggest in the history of this website.

Man I still remember when I first found out about TL at ROTR way back in the day when Jay did the interviews at the TL tent. Gonna be weird not seeing him around, but I agree, Pen you're a really good choice for someone to run things around here.