Guest 8675

Starting a formal, weekly live "podcast" via Hangouts

40 posts in this topic

As you know, Pen got us started with a podcast during MM. I'd like to formalize that a bit with a weekly schedule, and also have a weekly guest that we can do a panel-style interview with. We'd invite the guest to stay either for just the interview portion or for the whole show. I'm thinking something around 30 minutes for the whole thing.

For early guests I'd like to get some of the band members from what seem to be very pleasant surprises to everyone - In Waves, Poynte, and Vital Silence. I think we also need to get our resident artist Karl McConqueror on the show.

Would love to hear ideas for topics outside the interviews, and any other thoughts.

First, thank you for bringing this topic back up because I honestly was not sure when I was going to. Life's given me a lot of lemons so far this year and I've been kind of distracted.

That being said, totally on board with this all the way, and I'd given some thought to this idea. What I was thinking of was gathering all the news and album releases from throughout the week and make that the general list of touchstones for the discussion. Like as an example, the conversation could start off about how Incubus released their new single and their album plans and we just go from there. I think one thing I learned from doing the podcasts is that it's best to have a general structure so that we're not fumbling for things to talk about but it's also way okay to be fluid with the conversation and let it go where it takes us, cause we can get some interesting discussion that way. It's about striking a balance between that.

My only concern is if 30 minutes will be enough time, especially if we're going to make a special point to have a guest on each podcast and have time focused on them. I mean, with the tournament podcasts, we easily went for an hour without blinking and a few times we went over that. I think one even went two hours, if I'm not mistaken. That's of course horrible excessive, but I'm wondering if 45 minutes to an hour wouldn't be more realistic? Of course I guess we won't really know until we test it out.

I also kind of have a nagging thought about if people want to review albums on the podcast, but I guess if we all discuss albums together then that would be redundant.

I think MM revealed that I'm not horribly useful at all when it comes to music discussion, but I'm all for the idea and would be happy to contribute however I can. If we do album discussions/review segments I'm sure there's certain releases I'd be happy to jump in for.

Hopefully if it does well we can maybe branch a more general discussion show off of it.

I dunno what Jay's plans are but I haven't talked much about this lately because of life stuff that's occupying my attention. I still do want to do this and plan this out with everyone, but right now I need get some things in my life in order.

I watch a weekly live movie podcast on youtube and these guys nail it every week. They pick a topic about movies and discuss it, Usually they go over 2 hours and wil have anywhere from 6-8 people on per week. May I suggest reaching out to people on youtube who review music to be on your show rather than it just being people here ? The key to having a good podcast is having a good moderator and the moderator on the one I watch is excellent. He sets the tone and controls the room. Lets people speak and asks questions to each person. He basically found a bunch of people on youtube who talk about movies and who he was a fan of and brought them on the show as regulars.

Let's do a beta run this Thursday at say 9pm eastern and during that we can discuss it more.

I actually can't do that. My schedule at work changed so now I work 12-9 with days off Sunday and Monday. Would you be alright with doing the beta at 10PM EST or on one of my days off?

Heh. I like how when I click play it triggers a countdown to the event. Makes me feel like we're building up to a disaster or something.

"Please stand by [for apocalyptic disasters of the TuneLab kind]."

I may be able to join up for this beta run! 10 ET works pretty good for me, too.

We might have to do more testing with Youtube because I relistened to that bit of the video and you can't hear the Youtube audio at all except at the part where I turned the volume so loud that my mic picked it up coming out of my headphones. So it doesn't display the video, doesn't register the audio. Fucking useless app is what it is.

Wellllll I forgot about this and kinda crashed early last night after a long day at work and after work activities. :D

Wellllll I forgot about this and kinda crashed early last night after a long day at work and after work activities. :D

Really? Cause up until now I totally thought you were there.  :P

I literally didn't because I wasn't there. If I'm not wanted, then I will not join. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I meant to rib you but I think I hurt your funny bone instead.

So is 10pm ET Thursday generally a good time to schedule this?

Now, when you say this, are you talking about doing one tomorrow or do you just mean as a time in general? Cause we haven't really talked about this since that test last week and I wasn't sure if we even had an idea of what the first show would even be about?

Im not interested in participating for obvious reasons plus I dont have headphones or a webcam thats not a laptop built in webcam but I dont have problems leaving questions and comments on the youtube page while its going on but probably is no one else will be doing it so if I did it would be weird all by myself.

Are you sure? I can just log into my YouTube account and start posting like I've done on other live podcasts. There was no invite necessary.Just need to be subscribed to the YouTube channel.