Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Better Call Saul

95 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I never made the connection myself until I heard others talk about it, but Gilligan has confirmed that he'll have a presence in S3. 

I made the connection immediately.  Makes a ton of sense.

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I made the connection immediately.  Makes a ton of sense.

It makes plenty of sense, I just didn't think of it. I suppose it's a testament to the strength of the show as a standalone entity that Gus Fring was completely out of the fringe of my mind to make the rather obvious connection. And beyond it making sense from a story perspective, it makes sense as a way to get a beloved character on the show (and possibly a second chance at awards attention) without sacrificing anything. It makes all the sense in the world that Mike would get hooked up with Fring this far back. In Breaking Bad he's his most trusted ally, somebody he's clearly had around for many years. Which is why I also don't imagine it'll be Victor or especially Tyrus who left the note like many suspect, because I'd have to imagine Mike goes further back with Fring than any of them. 

I watched the whole season over the past few weeks. Absolutely terrific. For the first time in this show, I actually stopped thinking about how this leads to Breaking Bad and just went along for the ride. This is the first spinoff where I recall not really waiting for the endgame, just simply seeing how things played out. Oh and I almost popped myself when I saw those two brothers looking at Mike and his daughter. I also let out an "oh shit!" when Chuck hit his head. It was as if I saw it in person. The fact that four people in there were too dumb to call an ambulance which forced Jimmy to come in was a little goofy, though. I agree that Kim has been the best one this season. And despite the face/tweener moments that Chuck had this season, I will never trust him again.

There is one complaint I have about season 2. They make it seem like being a crooked lawyer is in Jimmy's DNA and that's the only thing he knows how to do. Now I understand he was "Slippin' Jimmy" before but in season 1 he did things by the books. He even got all that money at the end and didn't keep it. It seems a little odd that in season 2 he's all of a sudden a lawyer who bends the law.

On 4/19/2016 at 5:57 PM, Matt said:

Yeah, I kinda figured out that final scene before the reveal.

Before I saw the ending I rewinded back to the scene in the garage cause I thought I missed something with Chuck looking in the box and I wanted to get to the bottom of it before I finished the episode. Then I get to the end and realized it was the tape recorder he was looking for.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It seems a little odd that in season 2 he's all of a sudden a lawyer who bends the law.

They spent literally the entire first season building to that.

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

They spent literally the entire first season building to that.

They were building towards him eventually being a lawyer who bends the law because he couldn't catch a break doing it legit. At the beginning of season 2 he does catch a break doing it legit and all of a sudden that isn't what he wants anymore and he has to do it a different way. Season 1 Jimmy would've been perfectly fine working at that firm.

Also, what was the point of the button that couldn't be touched?

Were we watching different shows in season one? The one in which Jimmy take a bribe, hire someone to steal stolen money to get himself out of a jam, and dig through a dumpster for evidence? 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Also, what was the point of the button that couldn't be touched?

Nothing at all.  It was just Jimmy's way of quietly rebelling because he doesn't like being entirely straight-laced.

So I'd avoid any advertising for this because AMC has released a lot of press images with blatant spoilers in them. 

14 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

So I'd avoid any advertising for this because AMC has released a lot of press images with blatant spoilers in them. 

Like anyone who watches this show was not aware that Gus was coming back.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Like anyone who watches this show was not aware that Gus was coming back.

No, not that. That's been announced for a long time. 

Bob Odenkirk is so fucking great. I never would've guessed he'd be such an outstanding dramatic lead based on his prior work. The way he crumpled when Kim told him what happened was heartwrenching. No panic, or anger, or survival instinct, just pure heartbreak. So much depth has been added to the Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad, I've never seen a prequel do so much to add to the work it's a prequel of. 

Also, those reviewers weren't kidding about how well they use the audience's knowledge of Gus to build anticipation around his arrival. That slow pan to the Los Polls Hermanos sign, while fairly predictable, was perfect. 

Man that episode was so well put together, and what a satisfying ending. This show keeps getting better and better. I agree with you Ruiner Bob Odenkirk is amazing. He should receive as much credit in this as Cranston did in BB. 

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Just as Kim deserved an Emmy last year, Chuck deserves one this year.

I think both of them deserve one both years, myself. Michael McKean was pretty incredible in last season's finale. 

Just watched this whole season over the past week or so. Really good stuff. Probably my favorite season overall. The more this show starts turning into Breaking Bad, the better it gets. Other thoughts...

- The stuff with Mike was great (despite his weird daughter-in-law getting a senior citizen a construction job). He was probably my favorite character to follow all season because of the Breaking Bad connections to everything he was doing.

- Seeing the terrifying Gustavo Fring back was incredible. I hope we don't get too much info on him but I still want him featured a lot in the future. Hector said something about Gus and that other guy being "butt buddies" or something. I've kinda wondered if Gus was gay but I don't want it answered. I like him to remain a mystery. I remember in BB Jesse went over his house for dinner and you saw kids toys on the floor. I like how we don't know if he has/had kids or any other personal info about him.

- Slowly moving the camera over to reveal the Los Pollos Hermanos sign was awesome. It was crazy seeing Jimmy sneaking around in there not realizing what danger he could have been in.

- Chuck is a real piece of shit and I hated how Jimmy was a nice guy and went to check on him in the last episode. It made sense for Jimmy's character though. And then Chuck's incredibly hurtful words on top of everything else we've seen of him in this series made me not feel an ounce of sympathy for him in the end. Headlines on websites after the finale mentioned someone died so I was unfortunately aware someone was going to die in the end. At first I thought it was Kim and maybe seeing her walk away in episode 9 was just her imagining that before she died. Then I thought it was going to be Nacho. Then maybe Chuck hits electricity when he's breaking open walls or Jimmy kills him at the end which would've been weird.

- It's really interesting that they had a cliffhanger on the opening sequence knowing that we'll have to wait a full year to find out more about it. I figure the way things are going now they can probably have two more seasons of this show. I imagine the final episode of the series will take place post-Breaking Bad.

- One thing I didn't like about this season was the stuff with Jimmy selling his timeslot. It was boring and I feel like we've already seen him at that rock-bottom level before and it didn't interest me to see it again. I do like how his transition into Saul Goodman is finally starting to happen. I feel like if they waited any longer things would start to get stagnant.

On 5/9/2017 at 5:12 PM, heldjc said:

He should receive as much credit in this as Cranston did in BB. 

Let's not get carried away here. Odenkirk is awesome on this but Bryan Cranston provided us with a legendary performance on Breaking Bad.

On 5/10/2017 at 0:09 AM, Ruiner said:

Michael McKean was pretty incredible in last season's finale. 

While it's the right time for his character to leave the show as it wouldn't make sense for him to be there as we transition from Jimmy to Saul, it's bittersweet because McKean was absolutely terrific for this entire series. What a great job this guy did.

One more comment, then I'm done...why on Earth would Gus wait there for the paramedics to arrive? I understand he wants to keep Hector alive so he can kill him on his own terms, but I find it hard to believe that someone so careful would allow himself to be seen with a drug dealer.

See my main issue with the show (not really an issue, per se) is actually with the Mike half of the show. You have this truly excellent show Better Call Saul, about Jimmy McGill and his story, and then you have Breaking Bad: The Prequel, which is just very very good.