Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Comic Books

125 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, EchoX860 said:

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

No way it sticks.

Of course it won't. The "activation" took place during a fight with Baron Zemo; obviously it's a large scale plot. There are enough McGuffins in Marvel Comics to change people's memories to where this can be explained away in any number of ways. Hell, even recently it's implied that Daredevil did something to erase people's memories of his identity, so for someone to alter Cap's history is probably just another Tuesday.

9 minutes ago, pen said:

Of course it won't. The "activation" took place during a fight with Baron Zemo; obviously it's a large scale plot. There are enough McGuffins in Marvel Comics to change people's memories to where this can be explained away in any number of ways. Hell, even recently it's implied that Daredevil did something to erase people's memories of his identity, so for someone to alter Cap's history is probably just another Tuesday.

Yep.

Anyone losing their shit over this hasn't read enough comic books.

2 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

You hear there are people trying to make Captain America Gay with Bucky his BF. People need to stop with stupid shit and get a life. 

You realize it was created as a counterpart to the Twitter petition to get make Elsa a lesbian in the next Frozen, right? I thought it was hilarious.

4 minutes ago, pen said:

You realize it was created as a counterpart to the Twitter petition to get make Elsa a lesbian in the next Frozen, right? I thought it was hilarious.

No I didn't but it seemed like some people took it seriously 

Just read the finale of Deadly Class's terrific "Die for Me" arc and I'm not sure if there's an ongoing series I'm reading that's as good as this. And if there's one that I'm not, I'd sure like to know about it. What a devastating, shocking issue with possibly the biggest gut-punch cliffhanger I've read. September can't get here soon enough.

DC is copying Marvels whole thing of revamping characters with different ethniticites. Mexican Spider-Man, Asian Hulk, Teenage Black Girl Iron Man, Muslim teenage Ms Marvel, White Woman Thor, Black Captain America and now DC has Chinese Superman. 

578703781a00002600dd144d.jpeg?cache=pkza

46 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I can't figure out why anyone would perceive any of this as a bad thing.

Why not create new diverse characters instead of changing the ones we know. 

Just now, chicago_animal said:

Why not create new diverse characters instead of changing the ones we know. 

...most of the people you named in that post ARE new characters.  Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, the new Superman.  And old characters aren't being cast aside, their roles are just changing because the march of time affects us all.  Steve Rogers is still a huge part of the Marvel verse and has even taken on the Captain America mantle again.  Carol Danvers became Captain Marvel and has as big a role as she's ever had.  Peter Parker is still Spider-Man, there's just another one running around too (joining the litany of other spider-people).

Do you read any of these books or are you just hopping on the PC-hating train?

I'll add to this by saying I totally understand why someone would use an existing mantle rather than create a brand new character from scratch, and it's simply because newer characters are harder to get off the ground. It's sad but true. Think about the last ten years of comics, and how many completely brand new characters have caught the public's attention? But certainly everyone freaks out when there's a new Spider-Man or a new Captain America. It just is what it is and I totally understand why it's done. It's that existing cachet that gets people interested, because they want to know what happened to the old hero and why this new one is taking over. And sometimes, in cases like Kate Bishop and Kamala Khan, it works out in unexpected and fun ways.

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I don't know if this is racist of me or not, but something about Chinese Superman is hilarious to me. 

The guy I work with was cracking up at the picture of the first issue and he didn't know why. 

52 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Do you read any of these books or are you just hopping on the PC-hating train?

I don't read the comics but from my point of view it just seems like instead of naturally creating a diverse cast of characters like the Halo franchise with Johnson, Palmer and Locke, these comics are just doing the lazy thing and remaking existing superheroes with a different skin color of the person wearing the costume. It's half-assed and cheap. It's like they couldn't be bothered to develop new superheroes from the ground up. Like this female Thor. His last name isn't Thor so it makes no sense to have another Thor but here we are.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I don't read the comics but from my point of view it just seems like instead of naturally creating a diverse cast of characters like the Halo franchise with Johnson, Palmer and Locke, these comics are just doing the lazy thing and remaking existing superheroes with a different skin color of the person wearing the costume. It's half-assed and cheap. It's like they couldn't be bothered to develop new superheroes from the ground up. Like this female Thor. His last name isn't Thor so it makes no sense to have another Thor but here we are.

Whoever wields the hammer has the power of Thor, so they might as well be called Thor for simplicity's sake.

Mike we've been over this.  Everything everyone does is for money, and calling anyone out for doing something to make money is just silly.  Pen gave a great reason why it's hard to develop brand new heroes and how it's typically easier to affiliate them with an old brand to make the book more successful.  They might have more creative "integrity" or whatever by starting from scratch, but they'll also probably lose money when their book is cancelled after six issues.  Giving a new hero an old mantle has proven to not only be effective, but often critically acclaimed.  Miles Morales and Kamala Khan are probably the two most successful new superheroes of the 2010s, despite everyone crying out about how Marvel was trying to be more PC when they created them.