Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Comic Books

125 posts in this topic

Wanted is fantastic. Ignore the crappy movie that is nothing like it.

Read it years ago, it is pretty great. Movie was badass too, fuck off. Next!

In the store now. I need some compelling, dark, unconventional, badass shit to buy.

Saga and Y: The Last Man.  Let Brian K. Vaughan change your life, and become a better man for it.

I mostly don't read comics but I made a note to eventually read some stuff from Radical Comics. I was first introduced to them with the movie Oblivion and it seems like they have some stuff that I'll be interested in. Lots of sci-fi stuff. No superheroes or crossovers or anything like that. Maybe check out some of that. Anomaly was good and is beautiful but it's absolutely massive and lord knows how much it'll cost you in a comic store. It's not too dark either. Probably better off buying the app if you get that cause it'll be much cheaper.

They closed at midnight so I had to leave empty handed. Y and Saga both didn't have the first books so I couldn't get either, though Y looked more interesting to me.

Lots of stuff I just wish I knew had more knowledge on. Like, a giant book of Army of Darkness sounds good, but is it any good? Same goes for the dozens of books based on non-comic properties. When the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo only cites raves that are clearly referring to the novel trilogy, it sends up a red flag. Plus I kind of wanted to go with something more original and not hugely popular, though I did consider grabbing a Deadpool book.

Y: The Last Man is my favorite comic series of all time so I hope you'll find a way to read it at some point.

And Saga is my favorite ongoing series and has a decent chance of dethroning Y when all is said and done.  I think you should check out both, for sure.

Same goes to the rest of you jabronis.

Yeah I was kind of excited when I stumbled into it because I had like three minutes left and I grabbed it but once I got up there I realized it was book three and that two and one were nowhere to be found.

And there's apparently a Shield comic book and it's probably suckass but I'm totally getting it. Speaking of The Shield, are you almost done with whatever you were watching, Andrew?

Saga and Y: The Last Man.  Let Brian K. Vaughan change your life, and become a better man for it.

From what I've seen of Saga, it looks like a very fun read, so I back Andrew's rec. Always wanted to check out Y too.

If you're looking for anything, not just new stuff, then if you've never read Alias: Jessica Jones by Brian Michael Bendis, that's a pretty good read in the Marvel universe that is also fairly standalone. It's also a lot grittier and real than the normal Marvel Universe, which is what makes it so interesting.

I need some compelling, dark, unconventional, badass shit to buy.

If you are looking for graphic novels, you must Must MUST read the Sandman series written by Neil Gaiman. The series ran from '89-'96, and is one of the most critically acclaimed comics out there. It also happens to fit all the adjectives that you listed.

If it helps persuade you, Joseph Gordon Levitt is looking to both star and direct in a film adaptation sometime within the next couple years.

For anyone looking to get into the best comic on shelves today, this badass motherfucker just came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Deluxe-HC-Brian-Vaughan/dp/1632150786

That's the first 18 issues (essentially the first major arc) of the Eisner-winning Saga by the Eisner-winning Bryan K. Vaughan with art by Eisner-winning Fiona Staples, in a beautiful hardcover with a bunch on extras.  And it's priced at an absolutely reasonable 30 dollars.

If you're interested in a comic to read, this is the one.  Pick it up, you bitches.

Andrew won

Welcome to enlightenment.

On a related note I've been catching up on Batgirl and Animal Man and both are far and away among the best the New 52 has to offer. Great shit. And also I've been reading the Image series Morning Glories which is pretty stellar through two volumes.

Welcome to enlightenment.

On a related note I've been catching up on Batgirl and Animal Man and both are far and away among the best the New 52 has to offer. Great shit. And also I've been reading the Image series Morning Glories which is pretty stellar through two volumes.

The end of book two is the cruelest fuckin' thing. Most TV shows can't execute cliffhangers that well. I have to go drive all the way to the store tomorrow to grab the last two.

She's a new Batgirl villain, basically looking to take hold of Gotham and purge of it even minor crimes with her ruthless gang of super-thugs.

Pretty neato.

Oh ok, I thought maybe it had something to do with the Knightfall storyline from the early 90s.

Damn, ever since I mentioned Knightfall from the early 90s,i have been thinking about that all day. I might have to dig in my old graphic novels and read the two books and also the Knights End story.