EchoX860

General Discussion

4,572 posts in this topic

So tonight for the first time ever, a delivery person asked me to come outside to get my own food. He called to let me know he was there and asked if I could come out and get my order. I had already paid online and given a $3 tip in advance so of course there was no fucking way I was going out there for it so I told him to bring it over.

At least have the door open and be ready rather than deal with the awkwardness of seeing the person right up in your grill not knowing what they look like. One a side note, pizza delivery is like the worst job in the world. People are cheap fucks who give you shitty tips and you put wear and tear and damage on your own car. Much better to be making the pizza inside. No tips but the tips suck anyway. It might not be as bad if they gave you a company car to use instead of using your own.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

So tonight for the first time ever, a delivery person asked me to come outside to get my own food. He called to let me know he was there and asked if I could come out and get my order. I had already paid online and given a $3 tip in advance so of course there was no fucking way I was going out there for it so I told him to bring it over.

As someone who's worked in this industry for several years now, I'm confused by this.  What was different about this than usual?  Like, you weren't meeting him at the door, you were going out to the driveway?

3 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

People are cheap fucks who give you shitty tips and you put wear and tear and damage on your own car. Much better to be making the pizza inside. No tips but the tips suck anyway. It might not be as bad if they gave you a company car to use instead of using your own.

Oh and this is super ass-backwards, it is a ten times easier job delivering than it is working inside, at least in my experience.  The wear and tear on your car is a problem for sure but you can make some badass money in tips depending on the neighborhood you deliver in and it's significantly less stressful than an inside job.  If you're in even a remotely high volume store then working inside a pizza place can be super taxing on your psyche.

8 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

you put wear and tear and damage on your own car

I don't think it's good to start and shut off your car a million times. I imagine the smart thing to do would be to leave the car running when you go give someone their food and just lock the car when you leave. But a lot of newer cars have stupid fucking features like shutting off automatically when you stop so people with newer cars might be forced to turn off their car a million times.

Also, I'd much rather be by myself, listening to music in my car than work in some chaotic pizza joint with co-workers and customers.

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

What was different about this than usual?  Like, you weren't meeting him at the door, you were going out to the driveway?

Normally they ring the doorbell, I answer and get my food, like every other time I've gotten delivery in my life. This is a single family. It's not like an apartment complex where I'd have to ring him in and he'd have to go through a building. Delivery people don't park across the street and want me to come retrieve it while they sit on their ass. Even if they did park in my driveway I wasn't going to get it myself. What would the tip be for then? For them to simply drive here? That'd be like tipping a waiter at a restaurant for letting you know that your food is ready and you can retrieve it a few feet away next to where the chefs cook.

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't think it's good to start and shut off your car a million times.

Its not just that its driving recklessly because you gotta get to your destination on time.

25 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Its not just that its driving recklessly because you gotta get to your destination on time.

No you don't. It's not like this is the '90s and they have some weird 30 minutes or it's free promotion. I can't see someone with a minimum wage job (or any job for that matter) risking the safety of themselves or the quality of their own car to get some guy his pizza.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Normally they ring the doorbell, I answer and get my food, like every other time I've gotten delivery in my life. This is a single family. It's not like an apartment complex where I'd have to ring him in and he'd have to go through a building. Delivery people don't park across the street and want me to come retrieve it while they sit on their ass. Even if they did park in my driveway I wasn't going to get it myself. What would the tip be for then? For them to simply drive here? That'd be like tipping a waiter at a restaurant for letting you know that your food is ready and you can retrieve it a few feet away next to where the chefs cook.

So is that what they did, parked across the street?  That's interesting.  Was it late at night and all your lights will off?  Some drivers will err on the side of caution if a house looks unsafe late at night.

Also yes the tip IS for them to simply drive there, because they drive there using their own car and gas and because driving in this society is inherently dangerous and their risk of getting in a traffic accident is probably several times higher than the average person's because of the quantity of time they spend on the road.

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So is that what they did, parked across the street?  That's interesting.  Was it late at night and all your lights will off?

I think he probably just parked on the other side of the street because that was the way he was driving and didn't want to make a U-turn. The lights were on, it was around 8:00, the street I'm on is in the nicer part of the city.

Just now, Mike said:

I think he probably just parked on the other side of the street because that was the way he was driving and didn't want to make a U-turn. The lights were on, it was around 8:00, the street I'm on is in the nicer part of the city.

Yeah sounds like he was just being a lazy shit then.  One of the few times I'd maybe endorse tipping less or not at all.

Anybody here wear adidas Ultra Boost? Got a pair as a gift and Oh. My. God.  It is like walking on a marshmallow. 

Just a venting post here.

I don't know who I pissed off in the last month, but damn I wish it would stop. In the last month

1) My car needs significant repair. Thankfully, my dad was able to replace the part it needed himself. Saved me labor costs.

2) Both of the bathroom sinks in my house are now leaking for whatever reason.

3) Fridge is leaking from the freezer into the fridge. Just puddles of water in the fridge, ruining food sometimes. Can't get a new one yet, because of the following issues.

4) My wife's car had an issue 2 weeks ago. Took it one place, they diagnosed it for me, and said take it to Toyota if the light comes back on, as it might be a warranty fix. Light came back on, took it to Toyota. I gave them the diagnostic codes from the other shop, and explicitly told them if they got the same codes, DO NOT perform the work the code says, as another shop had moved the parts that it said was bad to another place and replaced them with known working parts. I get a phone call from them from someone who isn't the mechanic saying it needed something done. They used a different word for the service than the other shop, so I didn't know it was the same. Come to find out, they got the same codes in their diagnostic and the person that took the car in didn't give the codes to the mechanic. $700 later, Wife gets the car back, light comes back on, car is now overheating. Took it back up there, and they still have it. No call from anyone with an update in 3 days.

5) And finally we come to today. I work from home, and have been sweating my ass off all day. Realized my A/C unit is just running, but isn't actually cooling the air. 

All of this in a month. I need this shit to end. 

Rant over. How's everyone else doing? 

52 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

Just a venting post here.

I don't know who I pissed off in the last month, but damn I wish it would stop. In the last month

1) My car needs significant repair. Thankfully, my dad was able to replace the part it needed himself. Saved me labor costs.

2) Both of the bathroom sinks in my house are now leaking for whatever reason.

3) Fridge is leaking from the freezer into the fridge. Just puddles of water in the fridge, ruining food sometimes. Can't get a new one yet, because of the following issues.

4) My wife's car had an issue 2 weeks ago. Took it one place, they diagnosed it for me, and said take it to Toyota if the light comes back on, as it might be a warranty fix. Light came back on, took it to Toyota. I gave them the diagnostic codes from the other shop, and explicitly told them if they got the same codes, DO NOT perform the work the code says, as another shop had moved the parts that it said was bad to another place and replaced them with known working parts. I get a phone call from them from someone who isn't the mechanic saying it needed something done. They used a different word for the service than the other shop, so I didn't know it was the same. Come to find out, they got the same codes in their diagnostic and the person that took the car in didn't give the codes to the mechanic. $700 later, Wife gets the car back, light comes back on, car is now overheating. Took it back up there, and they still have it. No call from anyone with an update in 3 days.

5) And finally we come to today. I work from home, and have been sweating my ass off all day. Realized my A/C unit is just running, but isn't actually cooling the air. 

All of this in a month. I need this shit to end. 

Rant over. How's everyone else doing? 

Damn. Well, if it's any consolation, you're surely due for a few wins soon enough, so hang in there. 

I'm okay.

- I'm trying to learn some stuff to make an actual career for myself outside of minimum wage shit (piano, production, guitar, and just this past week I decided to start learning to code). It's easy to feel overwhelmed by at times but I'm fine. I considered one of those coding boot camps but FUCK they are pricey, and time intensive. 

- It's been about six months now since I've seen anybody I'd call a friend, which I read an article about and I think it's taking a toll on my mind--I've been waking up several times every night, usually following nightmares. It's pretty annoying but I've gotten more or less used to it by now. 

- That bad acid trip that I stupidly discussed at length here is mostly recovered from, but there's still lingering anxiety and existential paranoia that I didn't have before and really wish I could give back. There's this thing called depersonalization/derealization that's happened a few times and it's utterly horrifying, something that's impossible to properly articulate, so I encourage everyone to enjoy life not knowing what that is. I feel terrible for the people who've had to deal with it their whole lives. 

- I started trying the online dating thing more seriously but after a couple botched messaging conversations I gave up and deleted them. It's just unnecessary stress for no reward at this point. I'm kind of settling into the idea that it's just not something I'm equipped to do. 

- I worked a LOT of overtime at my Chevron job for a couple months straight and I got a raise out of the deal, up to 14 an hour. It's enough that I can take care of myself relatively well, and I think I mentioned before that I bought a car, which makes getting places far easier. I might check out Canada soon. 

- Tons of great bands tour here, and I've gone to a lot of shows over the past few months. I've seen Emma Ruth Rundle, This Will Destroy You, Mutoid Man, Helms Alee, RAKTA, Run the Jewels, Cherry Glazerr, NXT, an indie wrestling show, a great local band called He Whose Ox is Gored, and a couple other bands I can't recall the names of in the past few months alone, and I've got Dead Cross, Chelsea Wolfe, Ministry, Death Grips, and more coming up. Compared to loving in AL and seeing maybe a decent concert every one or two years, it's a dream. 

- Aside from that, I've become kind of a hermit. I love the outside here, but I've just got too much to do at home, every time I go to do something I'm anxious about not spending time practicing or something. I keep thinking I need to start doing something, like working out (I feel like I'm lazy and it might be because I never exercise) but then I'm like "ain't nobody got time for that". There were like five movies released last month I really wanted to see and I saw zero of them. 

54 minutes ago, Omar said:

So I'm an idiot and waited until the last minute to get some eclipse glasses and now I can't find any anywhere :(

Be creative. Find a cereal box and poke a hole in it. It's works just as well.

28 minutes ago, NinjaNick101 said:

Be creative. Find a cereal box and poke a hole in it. It's works just as well.

hmmmm, really? I need to Google this...

2 hours ago, Omar said:

So I'm an idiot and waited until the last minute to get some eclipse glasses and now I can't find any anywhere :(

Try Craigslist, I just snagged a pair from some dude who stocked up on them for ten bucks after I read this. Just be sure you know how to check if they're legit (the ISO 12312-2 number, and you can sight check by just putting them on and if literally anything other than the sun gets through them they're fakes). 

I just now got caught up in the hype and decided I might run down to Oregon Sunday night. 

7 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Try Craigslist, I just snagged a pair from some dude who stocked up on them for ten bucks after I read this. Just be sure you know how to check if they're legit (the ISO 12312-2 number, and you can sight check by just putting them on and if literally anything other than the sun gets through them they're fakes). 

I just now got caught up in the hype and decided I might run down to Oregon Sunday night. 

Pretty much none available around my area's Craigslist. I'm guessing the hype is greater up north is much greater. We're only getting about a 75% coverage here.

3 hours ago, Omar said:

Pretty much none available around my area's Craigslist. I'm guessing the hype is greater up north is much greater. We're only getting about a 75% coverage here.

Well, if it makes you feel better, you're not the only one dealing with disappointment.

I was thinking of driving down to Oregon Sunday afternoon, fully aware that traffic would be horrible, and finding some random spot in the middle of nowhere to park the car and chill out until the eclipse. Now I'm reading stuff about wildfires, and traffic being backed up for potentially DAYS, and it being recommended to pack like a week's worth of water and food in your car. That just isn't do-able, especially since I have to work Tuesday afternoon. So I'm guessing maybe I'll find somewhere closer by to check it out, or maybe even stay in town. It's like 90% coverage here, but people who've seen it are really stressing how huge of a difference it is between high coverage and totality--I saw someone describe it as the difference between almost dying and dying. Like, anybody who goes out of their way to see anything short of it is going to be underwhelmed, and anyone who sees it is going to experience a near religious experience.