Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smell My Finger

Silicon Valley

101 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Omar said:

Erlich :(

I haven't seen the new season yet but was just popping in here to mention this. It sucks so much he won't be on the show anymore. It will really hurt with him gone as he was the best one on the show. I kinda wish they just ended the show with this current season. It won't be the same with him gone. I wonder why he left. I know he's doing a lot of stuff but it's only a five hour commitment a season. I'm sure he could've found the time if he wanted to. Maybe he left because of money reasons.

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I haven't seen the new season yet but was just popping in here to mention this. It sucks so much he won't be on the show anymore. It will really hurt with him gone as he was the best one on the show. 

Well it's not like Martin Starr is leaving, but yes, it's definitely a huge blow. The bigger issue I think is that he's so integral to the show's identity, how he dominates the screen whenever he's present. Even if I think it can maintain the quality without him, there will be a definitive hole left by his absence that it'll be impossible to fill without it feeling like a whole new show. It's not quite on the level of what losing Richard would do (in which case I'd just cancel) but it's the next worst thing. 

10 hours ago, Mike said:

I haven't seen the new season yet but was just popping in here to mention this. It sucks so much he won't be on the show anymore. It will really hurt with him gone as he was the best one on the show. I kinda wish they just ended the show with this current season. It won't be the same with him gone. I wonder why he left. I know he's doing a lot of stuff but it's only a five hour commitment a season. I'm sure he could've found the time if he wanted to. Maybe he left because of money reasons.

He got arrested in December for allegedly slapping an Uber driver. HBO was NOT happy about it. 

3 hours ago, TaNbULL said:

He got arrested in December for allegedly slapping an Uber driver. HBO was NOT happy about it. 

It's not T.J. Miller's fault that the Uber driver brought piss to a shit fight.

I'm actually reading now that TJ Miller is kinda like a more obnoxious version of Ehrlich, and that nobody likes working with him, so that could be an element of it. 

That last episode was so, so great. Thomas Middleditch should be a shoe-in for an Emmy nomination this year, and Zach Woods as well. It doesn't matter if the plot is ultimately going in circles, when it's done in such exciting fashion and when the characters are so well drawn. I love how Richard has gradually disappeared more and more up his ass over the course of the series and this season has seen him as a total petty, self-destructive jackass. While Ehrlich being gone is going to be a blow to the dynamic, I think the show will be just fine. The dynamic of Richard and his relationships with Gilfoyle, Dinesh, and Jared is strong enough to carry the show by itself, to say nothing of the other elements like Bream-Hall, Big Head, Hooli, and whatever Gavin is up to (I really hope this Tibet deal isn't an exit for him from the series as well as Ehrlich).

14 hours ago, Ruiner said:

I don't think he comes off that bad. I think he is very politically incorrect and gives just about 90% truth, which is way more than we'd normally see in an interview like this. i think he also thrives off tone and facial features, of which that offers none. 

Sad to see him go, though. 

5 minutes ago, Koldes said:

I don't think he comes off that bad. I think he is very politically incorrect and gives just about 90% truth, which is way more than we'd normally see in an interview like this. i think he also thrives off tone and facial features, of which that offers none. 

Sad to see him go, though. 

He just sounds totally up his own ass. "I've moved on to the next great thing that will make people laugh, The Emoji Movie". Horribly might be an overstatement, but he certainly comes across as buying into their own hype quite a bit. 

44 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

He just sounds totally up his own ass. "I've moved on to the next great thing that will make people laugh, The Emoji Movie". Horribly might be an overstatement, but he certainly comes across as buying into their own hype quite a bit. 

I don't mind it too much. I think just about all celebrities and actors have that type of mentality, it's just that he's more obvious and honest about it. Plus it was kind of a plug for his new movie. 

He does come off butthurt after a breakup like "I never loved her anyway, I'll be happier without her!" 

I don't think it was too bad either, he even went on to say how he thinks Jareds is funnier than Erlich which honestly I have totally thought this season. Going to be weird not having him on the show though.

16 hours ago, heldjc said:

I don't think it was too bad either, he even went on to say how he thinks Jareds is funnier than Erlich which honestly I have totally thought this season. Going to be weird not having him on the show though.

Jared is by far my favorite character. And for as terrible that Gabe Lewis was on The Office, just shows his range to be lovable in a different show. 

3 hours ago, Koldes said:

Jared is by far my favorite character. And for as terrible that Gabe Lewis was on The Office, just shows his range to be lovable in a different show. 

He's really good in this, of course, but I thought he was super funny as Gabe too.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

He's really good in this, of course, but I thought he was super funny as Gabe too.

Indeed, that was a super funny scene. When he also tagged along on their halloween outfits as the skeleton because he overheard their plans was great, too. I guess he had some good comedic moments, but he just was completely unlovable for me. Jared I just want to have over for dinner and never disappoint.

Yeah I definitely agree that he was never written particularly well and sort of just existed to be a creepy jerk, but there's a lot of writing flaws in the late Office seasons.  Most important for me is that he was damn funny and I'm glad he's gotten the chance to shine more on Silicon.

Just finished the new season and sadly unlike you guys, I didn't like it very much. The season 2 finale, the peak of the show in my opinion, was perfect Silicon Valley. That part where Erlich was coding was amazing. It was so tense and so hilarious. Now the story is just going in circles. They weren't able to come up with a story to extend for the entire series and now they're desperately trying to come up with new stuff. Piper chat, food app, new internet...next season they'll be working on the robot from Rocky IV. The tension is gone now. I was on the edge of my seat during the courtroom stuff and Erlich coding and I didn't feel that way at all during their latest escapades trying to keep that data online. Season 3 was a dip in quality and season 4 was a bigger dip. And now with Erlich gone I fear it will only get worse. It does appear that the stage is set for a better story next season with no more pivoting technology and a clear direction of where things are headed with Richard vs. Gavin. And they can attempt to make up for the lack of Erlich with more screen time for the fantastic Gavin Belson and bringing back that funny lawyer/criminal guy more often. But after two disappointing seasons, I won't be around for it. Along with T.J. Miller, I am officially done with Silicon Valley. 

I can understand being at least mildly frustrated with the holding pattern that was most of season four but if you didn't A. Find the last two episodes rife with tension, and B. Still don't find the show hilarious, then I've got nothing for you.

It wasn't a perfect season but it was still excellent and I have faith in Mike Judge to keep crushing it in 2018.

19 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Bad Takes Mike is in the house

You think I have bad taste now. Oh boy. You ain't seen nothing yet. I just saw a critically acclaimed action movie from the past few years and I wasn't a huge fan of it like everyone else. Try to guess what it is...

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

You think I have bad taste now. Oh boy. You ain't seen nothing yet. I just saw a critically acclaimed action movie from the past few years and I wasn't a huge fan of it like everyone else. Try to guess what it is...

John Wick

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

John Wick

No. While I did just see both of them fairly recently (1 on Blu-ray a few months back and 2 in theaters), I liked them both. 2 was pretty good and 1 was fucking spectacular.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Mad Max

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

Mad Max

Haha. You win the prize. Let me start by saying it was by no means a bad movie. That final chase sequence for the last 45 minutes or so was one of the best car chase scenes I've ever seen in a movie and it really helped me enjoy the film a lot more. Tom Hardy could say nothing and he'd still be awesome to watch. Charlize Theron is great of course. The action was very inventive and the movie looked very nice. It's tough for me to pinpoint why I wasn't a huge fan of it. Maybe it was the over-the-top villains. And I was kinda bored with the first half of the movie for some reason. I don't really know why. It was an okay movie and I'd consider seeing a sequel but I just wasn't as high on it as most others.

I thought Fury Road was awesome and all, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad take.