Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Fargo (FX)

107 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2015, 10:28:33, Dylan said:

Oh hey look a third into the episode and literally all of Mike's gripes have been addressed 

How Ed found out who Mike was was a complete stretch. Celebrity Mike Milligan on the front page of the newspaper.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

How Ed found out who Mike was was a complete stretch. Celebrity Mike Milligan on the front page of the newspaper.

A few days ago literally like 18 people got killed in quiet North Dakota because of a brewing gang war and all hell is breaking loose, and just recently the police found out where the highest-up known guy is based in town. Is there a reason that wouldn't be on the front page of the newspaper? It isn't bulletproof logic but the show's never had that and even the all-time greats have relied on a coincidence to move the push the drama forward before--it isn't ideal writing but it's hardly a problem here. It's certainly no bigger a stretch than Lester bumping into Malvo a year later in Las Vegas or fish falling out of the sky.

I thought the episode of them discussing that if the family kills the cops, reinforcement will continue to come until the family is either killed or locked up was hilarious. The town is basically becoming a safe haven from crime families and mobs while bodies our piling up, you'd think the FBI would have stepped in by now.

There was a second there that I thought Bear was about to get

Spoiler

ABDUCTED BY ALIENS

and if that had happened the incident probably would've upset me it seems to have about 15% of commenters I've seen. But the way it went,

Spoiler

the only thing the saucer doing was making itself visible, it's all just batshit insane enough to work. It was such a surreal moment, with only four living witnesses, that ultimately didn't mean anything more than the one we saw in much less grand fashion than in the first episode. All that happened was some people saw a UFO, which there are actual accounts of happening. Nothing more out-of-place than fish falling from the sky. Honestly, the storybook framing and narration felt more out-of-place than the UFO.

But, man, that was an episode. Totally lived up to the hype.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

There was a second there that I thought Bear was about to get

Reveal hidden contents

and if that had happened the incident probably would've upset me it seems to have about 15% of commenters I've seen. But the way it went,

Reveal hidden contents

But, man, that was an episode. Totally lived up to the hype.

Hated the narrating, it would have been okay if it was something done since the beginning. I just wanted to watch A Series of Unfortunate Events when hearing it. But everything else you stated in the spoilers, it now has me hooked. I'm a fan of the genre that object is usually placed in, so I'm completely fine with it. I know the Cohen Bros have never had that exact thing, but I think they'd be fine with it showing up in their quirky universe.

Just now, Matt said:

Hated the narrating, it would have been okay if it was something done since the beginning. But everything else you stated in the spoilers, it now has me hooked. I'm a fan of the genre that object is usually placed in, so I'm completely fine with it. I know the Cohen Bros have never had that exact thing, but I think they'd be fine with it showing up in their quirky universe.

It's my understanding that something similar actually did happen in one of their movies that I haven't seen, which also works (though in general I hope next season is less winky winky about Coen references). But yeah, the narrating was a fine gag but I would've preferred it not persist throughout the episode, it was distracting more than anything else--but that's really my only complaint. It does make me feel a bit better learning that one Martin Freeman was the narrator, though.

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

It's my understanding that something similar actually did happen in one of their movies that I haven't seen, which also works (though in general I hope next season is less winky winky about Coen references). But yeah, the narrating was a fine gag but I would've preferred it not persist throughout the episode, it was distracting more than anything else--but that's really my only complaint. It does make me feel a bit better learning that one Martin Freeman was the narrator, though.

Oh shit, was it? I was wondering if it was him, but with his accent being far more obvious, I thought it was someone different. Hmm, that actually makes me feel a tad better about it.

The UFO was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a TV show. It probably ruined the whole season for me. The most crucial shootout in the entire season concludes with a nonsensical sci-fi object in the middle of it. Mix that in with random narration, no rhyme or reason for a lot of killings, the poor handling of big deaths and these last few episodes really dragged the season down. It was still a good season but it doesn't even come close to season 1.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

You are blinded by things you like and can't see anything wrong with them.

I thought Hanzee being the mob boss was kinda dumb and unnecessary prequel-y. And Matt who previously didn't like the season that much thought it was awesome and the episode had pretty much universal acclaim so don't pin this on me. 

Oh yeah and the last episode was very good and a bit anticlimactic like last year's but I thought everything from War Pigs through Peggy coming out of the freezer was terrific. Even with the hiccups I think this was hands down better than season one which honestly looks amateur hour in comparison. I'd have it as my number two drama of the year that I've seen so far. 

Episode rankings:

1. "The Castle", E09
2. "Loplop", E08
3. "Rhinoceros", E06
4. "Did you do this? No, you did it!", E07
5. "Palindrome", E10
6. "The Gift of the Magi", E05
7. "Waiting for Dutch", E01
8. "Fear and Trembling", E04
9. "The Myth of Sisyphus", E03
10. "Before the Law", E02

MVP: Peggy Blumquist
Honorable mention: Mike Milligan
Best use of music: tie, "Children of the Sun" by Billy Thorpe in E1, "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath in E10

Overall, it was a good season. But it suffers from what most prequels do, the small connections they made with the first season didn't come off as well as I'd like. Now I'm ready to just get back to modern day and have the plot progress forward.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Overall, it was a good season. But it suffers from what most prequels do, the small connections they made with the first season didn't come off as well as I'd like. Now I'm ready to just get back to modern day and have the plot progress forward.

It didn't really act like a prequel up until the ending, with that Hanzee stuff (which was my biggest complaint possibly with the season as a whole, which is a testament to how few complaints I had). It felt like a story wholly independent of the first season, and since next season will be different characters again I imagine it'll be the same. 

I'm not quite jumping on the "one of the best seasons of TV ever" praise like most around the web seem to be, but there were few things about it that I didn't think were pretty much perfect. They absolutely need to quit with the constant Coens references, though. It feels like it belongs on a lesser show, and in that respect it drags the show down whenever we scene or line copied from another movie near-verbatim. 

It'll be really hard to make another season as good as or better than this one, but I said the same thing when season one aired, so I'm all in on S3.

I'm in the camp that thought season one was something special. I didn't expect it to live up to the first, but I simply wasn't as invested until the final few episodes. I'm interested in what will happen in season 3. Wondering how the events of season 1 will come into play for season 3 or if they are just going to have a completely detached story.

21 hours ago, Dylan said:

Honorable mention: Mike Milligan

Talk about a character who had a disappointing final few episodes. This guy was the best on the show early on and then at the end he was just quoting things and saying weird stuff like he was a parody of his early-season self. I know he was your favorite early on too and it's noteworthy that he didn't end up as your #1.