Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Fargo (FX)

107 posts in this topic

Wow, I can't believe it, they're actually going to end up topping the first season, aren't they? The show lacks as immediately memorable a character as Malvo, Lester, or even Molly, but in literally every other department they're outpacing it. The music, the writing, the direction, the pacing, this is so so fucking good. Those two stand-offs this episode were absolute dynamite, and they were very clearly first act stand-offs where nothing was going to happen. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when things really get going.

So what is up with the UFO in the first episode and the reference to aliens in episode 2?

They've got an alien motif going on, the same way they had a biblical one throughout the first season (the plagues being brought down on Stavros, Malvo essentially being the devil, the raining fish). I wouldn't think any look any further that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Individual thoughts...

- Mike Milligan is the best character, right? Bokeem Woodbine is killing it in that role. I laughed out loud at "Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers".

- The harp track is my favorite thing I've heard in a movie/show in a while.

- They really aren't sugar coating it at all: Dodd is a right cunt. Aside from the sexism and hotheadedness we've already seen, the way he talks to and smacks around his daughter....

- I very much enjoyed seeing the Gerhardts when cops are in their presence. We've only seen Floyd as a rather timid, soft-spoken character so seeing the way she puffs up when adversaries are present was a new side of her. You really get a sense of how dangerous they are.

- What the hell is up with Peggy and Ed? I have no idea where they're going or who they really are as people yet but I feel like they're going to end up doing the most damage of all.

- Molly is absolutely her mother's daughter. The way Betsy put together the pieces and extrapolated a theory that relied on a lot of assumptions but was ultimately dead-on was right out of season one.

- Lou's mostly been presented as passive up until this point. The way he didn't give an inch to the Gerhardts or Milligan changed that and I am very happy about that because he's a badass now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Mike Milligan is the best character, right? Bokeem Woodbine is killing it in that role.

2. The harp track is my favorite thing I've heard in a movie/show in a while.

1. He probably shouldn't have said "I am not a crook" because he's been absolutely stealing every scene he's been in so far.

2. Are you talking about that thing with the drums seen in the commercials cause I've had that thing stuck in my head 90% of the time for like a month now. And the other 10% of the time I have that "the right place, the wrong wrong time" song in my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. He probably shouldn't have said "I am not a crook" because he's been absolutely stealing every scene he's been in so far.

2. Are you talking about that thing with the drums seen in the commercials cause I've had that thing stuck in my head 90% of the time for like a month now. And the other 10% of the time I have that "the right place, the wrong wrong time" song in my head.

That's not it (though I like that one too), I'm talking specifically about the much mellower, almost dreamy track that's a harp with strings coming in after the first ten seconds or so. In this week's episode it was played when in the little sequence near the end with Peggy and Ed on the bus and then Lou arriving home. In general though, both the OST and licensed tracks they've gotten have been great. My other favorite is the song that was playing in the premiere when Rye was following the judge. The season had only started like five minutes and it got me so, so pumped for what's to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaand yeah they're just knocking this out of the park every week now. I almost got chills when Peggy mentioned that the Life Spring seminar was in Sioux Falls. This is escalating so quickly that I think there's gotta be at least one game-changing bloodbath before the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno how they r gonna keep up this pace. Every character is amazing. I didn't think it could be better than S1. So far it's everything S1 was and better. Poor Ed just tryin to live the dream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus, is there some sort of rule with the Fargo writing staff that episode six always has to be a fucking awesome game-changing episode? Because thirty minutes in and it's already clear that that's exactly what this is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a weird episode. The old man dies and we didn't even see it. We were just told it. They assumed Dodd died and had the funeral for him as well even though they didn't even know if he was dead or not. Out of the blue they apparently found out Simone was working with the enemy. And for some reason Ed knows all of the players in this game and knew just who to call to hand Dodd off to. I felt like there was an episode in between the most recent two that I missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike said:

Kind of a weird episode. The old man dies and we didn't even see it. We were just told it. They assumed Dodd died and had the funeral for him as well even though they didn't even know if he was dead or not. Out of the blue they apparently found out Simone was working with the enemy. And for some reason Ed knows all of the players in this game and knew just who to call to hand Dodd off to. I felt like there was an episode in between the most recent two that I missed.

Damn it Mike.

1. It's pretty easy to infer that Otto dies from the fact that they attacked the house and that he's being buried at the start of the episode. It's not something we really needed to see actually happen.

2. The second funeral was very obviously for Rye--Simone tossed his belt buckle in the grave, the headstone had his name on it, and when Dodd was brought up, Bear literally said "we're gonna need a third grave". The whereabouts of Dodd and Hanzee are a total mystery to the Gerhardts as much as they are to us.

3. They didn't "find out out of the blue". They pretty blatantly caught her in the middle of leaving the enemy's hotel.

4. Similarly, we have no idea how Ed knows who Milligan is and it's a development that we found out about seconds before the episode ended so it's silly to assume that we're not going to find out what Ed and Peggy have been up to in the two-day time jump between episodes. My guess would be that Ed was the one calling the Gerhardt house about Dodd, and when they didn't answer, Dodd told them about Milligan, thinking his family had left him for dead. But even if that's wrong, I have a little faith in the writing not that such a glaring, massive plot hole would fly when something's not explained to me in a cliffhanger ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dylan said:

2. The second funeral was very obviously for Rye

3. They didn't "find out out of the blue". They pretty blatantly caught her in the middle of leaving the enemy's hotel.

2. Whoops. My bad. I was getting the names messed up.

3. They were waiting outside so they likely didn't see her with those guys. But let's assume that they ran in, saw through the walls and saw that she was with the enemy and ran back outside before she left, they decided just like that to kill her? Seems like a family meeting for something like that would need to happen first. I'm hoping that Bear did that on his own to get revenge on Dodd for his son in jail. That's really the only logical way they could explain her death happening so fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mike said:

2. Whoops. My bad. I was getting the names messed up.

3. They were waiting outside so they likely didn't see her with those guys. But let's assume that they ran in, saw through the walls and saw that she was with the enemy and ran back outside before she left, they decided just like that to kill her? Seems like a family meeting for something like that would need to happen first. I'm hoping that Bear did that on his own to get revenge on Dodd for his son in jail. That's really the only logical way they could explain her death happening so fast. 

They weren't waiting, they pulled up as she was leaving. The impression I got is that they were doing recon and either saw her car or saw her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Matt said:

This season is getting slightly better. Offerman's character is starting to become a favorite of mine. 

Same here. Really good episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, really glad that the Undertaker wasn't Malvo like many were speculating. Would've felt fan-service-y in a season far too good for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.