Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Fargo (FX)

106 posts in this topic

at the same time it was a complete shocker.

Really? I saw that coming a mile away. I still thought it was a really interesting way to flip the show on its head. I think we all assumed Molly would live or her and Gus would get together at the end or something and while she's a very likable character, I think it would make for a more interesting show if she dies and this innocent, nice man starts to finally see the world for what it really is and has to go down a darker path to stop all of these bad people.

Great episode. Two more nods to the movie, which were well done without being overly obvious.

I'm assuming one of them was when the radio mentioned a blizzard from 1996 which was when I believe the first movie released?

Great, great episode last night. It was awesome seeing Lester banging Sam's wife while looking at the picture of him, all while knowing that she's not gonna get the insurance money. That was the most rewarding thing I've seen on a show since the final shootout at the end of Breaking Bad. I'm loving this new confident and sinister Lester who also might be getting some action from his sister-in-law in the future. This is one compelling TV show.

The whole cold open with Gus in the hospital and then Lester's entire plan playing out was amazing, and I also loved the scene with Molly and Mr. Wrench. Dude was literally a dialogue-less henchman and you still had to feel for the poor guy.

So I'm on episode 6 now and have really loved it so far. It cracks me up how they portray people from Minnesota only because I met some people from there on vacation and they really were the nicest people ever. It really has been better with each episode so I can only imagine how these last few are going to be.

Edit: What a great few episodes leading up to the last 2. Anyone else digging the Key and Peele kameo? I also loved how that whole scene was filmed, and then lead to both of them not having any answers while Malvo walked away. 

Another great episode, extremely tense and suspensful. Going to be a sad camper after the finale nextweek. This has been a fantastic series that I didn't see coming at all. 

That's crazy how Lester sent his wife into his work. That reminded me of when Walt sent his neighbor in the house on Breaking Bad, only this was way more fucked up cause it was his wife. He even had her go in with his jacket so if Malvo was there he'd definitely come out and his wife would be killed. That's so fucked up. I've liked Lester for this whole series. I didn't really care for his first wife, his brother, Sam Hess or his wife so it didn't bother me what he did to them but I'm officially rooting for him to die in the finale because of what he did to his new wife. He's so stupid. He got away with murder and got himself a better life and he let his newfound confidence get the best of him and just had to have some pointless conversation with Malvo. Instead of getting the hell out of there when he saw him, he threw his whole life away. And why break Malvo's balls. Lesnar is the only person who Malvo has ever been nice to. Killed Sam for him for no charge and saved him from getting caught by the police. Even when Lester fucked up Malvo's six-month operation to find the guy in witness protection and make over $100,000, Malvo was still nice to him and didn't kill him (yet). I just hope Molly is the one who shoots him and hopefully her, her dad, Gus and his daughter make it to the end.

I wouldn't be upset to see the incredibly annoying and stupid Bill get killed. Lester killing him would be funny.

Also, this is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Hopefully they don't compromise their vision. Keep this series as one amazing season. No need for a season 2...although I'm very upset it will be gone in a week.

That's crazy how Lester sent his wife into his work. That reminded me of when Walt sent his neighbor in the house on Breaking Bad, only this was way more fucked up cause it was his wife. He even had her go in with his jacket so if Malvo was there he'd definitely come out and his wife would be killed. That's so fucked up. I've liked Lester for this whole series. I didn't really care for his first wife, his brother, Sam Hess or his wife so it didn't bother me what he did to them but I'm officially rooting for him to die in the finale because of what he did to his new wife. He's so stupid. He got away with murder and got himself a better life and he let his newfound confidence get the best of him and just had to have some pointless conversation with Malvo. Instead of getting the hell out of there when he saw him, he threw his whole life away. And why break Malvo's balls. Lesnar is the only person who Malvo has ever been nice to. Killed Sam for him for no charge and saved him from getting caught by the police. Even when Lester fucked up Malvo's six-month operation to find the guy in witness protection and make over $100,000, Malvo was still nice to him and didn't kill him (yet). I just hope Molly is the one who shoots him and hopefully her, her dad, Gus and his daughter make it to the end.

I wouldn't be upset to see the incredibly annoying and stupid Bill get killed. Lester killing him would be funny.

You didn't turn on him when he stuck a gun in his nephew's bookbag? I mean, yeah, it was unloaded, but it was still a collosally fucked up thing to do (same as framing his brother for the murder of his wife, even if his brother wasn't the nicest guy, he still was there for Lester when he needed it and he repays him by destroying his entire life).

I'm fine with Bill just being exposed as the unqualified dummy he is when Molly was right all along. It wouldn't break my heart if he got killed, but he's still a decent person, just stupid.

Also, this is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Hopefully they don't compromise their vision. Keep this series as one amazing season. No need for a season 2...although I'm very upset it will be gone in a week.

I might have to agree with you on both counts. This show is easily the best thing I've seen on TV since Breaking Bad went off the air (including True Detective) and I really, really hate that it's going to be gone so soon, even if its self-contained nature is exactly what allows it to have such a quickly moving and satisfying plot.

And earlier in the season I was excited to see what they could put together for season two... but now, I just don't know if I want another season with different characters. I love these too much. Anything else just isn't going to work. They made it too hard to top. I'd just like Noah Hawley to be offered another show by FX, in which he could use his considerable skills and another terrific FX cast to make another classic.

You didn't turn on him when he stuck a gun in his nephew's bookbag? I mean, yeah, it was unloaded, but it was still a collosally fucked up thing to do (same as framing his brother for the murder of his wife, even if his brother wasn't the nicest guy, he still was there for Lester when he needed it and he repays him by destroying his entire life).

Nah I didn't care about the little shit. And if this was real life, I would've been mad at him for what he did to his brother but in terms of being entertained, I didn't stop liking Lester at that point.

Well they went the route of surprising you by doing less than you expected, not more; our main protagonist was on the sidelines for most of the episode, the main villain was offed by the hero's weakling husband, and Lester's guilt was proven with him already on the run, with him having his own poetic justice ending with him literally running out on thin ice. It's kind of hard to not feel some sense of being underwhelmed by how everything played out, since all the stuff I was expecting for the most part didn't happen and was replaced with less crowd-pleasing alternatives (though we did get the awesome, brief showdown between Lester and Lorne in his house which ultimately led to both guys' deaths).

But at the same time it was all really fitting. Everything ultimately made sense within the story, and good triumphed over evil and it really felt earned. It was kind of weird to see Gus not get any sort of repercussions for being a civilian shooting and killing an unarmed man, but I guess considering that Malvo was a known mass murderer who had the entire town locked down trying to find him, maybe there's some loophole there. I loved Bill's fate, where it turns out that he wasn't getting in the way of the case because he had some superiority complex to Molly or something, he just couldn't comprehend that Lester was a bad guy, that this sort of evil was around. And he gives up his badge because he realizes he isn't fit for the job, and Molly is.

Ultimately I give the show a 9.5/10. It's really hard to rank against other shows, because of the format making it something different from any other series that goes multiple seasons and uses a much longer form of storytelling. It certainly wasn't as good as a Breaking Bad, but is it really fair to put them next to each other? That show had 6 seasons of slow but steady character and plot development, where this had 10 episodes. On the other hand, the 10 episode format allowed it to go places other shows can't and be bolder because they don't have to worry about how the story's going to continue. If this was a full series, Lester probably wouldn't have murdered his wife in the very first episode, and the whole accelerated pace wouldn't have been possible. The only thing I can really compare it to is True Detective, which is a great show, and I have this head and shoulders above it. It's definitely one of my favorite shows ever and it's the show to beat in 2014 (and something rising to the challenge seems unlikely).

I thought the finale was good but a little disappointing. I like how Gus killed Malvo but it never really felt like he finally grew a pair and the death wasn't the "fuck yeah" death that I wanted to see. And when did Malvo get the code from that book from the FBI guys that he used to cancel the backup? I vaguely remember seeing him at the place where those two dudes worked but I don't remember the details. Lester dying was underwhelming. He didn't even need to die. Having him get thrown into prison kicking and screaming while getting dragged into his cell would've been better than what we got. I guess I was just expecting a Breaking Bad level of excellence to close the series out. It was still a good episode and one of the best shows I've ever seen. Glad we got an explanation about why Saul was apparently so dumb throughout and I do like that Molly and her family all lived. This show featured some really great characters. I'm sad to see it go but I'm glad they won't be milking it for some unnecessary future seasons.

I actually think I forgot to set my DVR for this because I'm an idiot. I deleted my series recording after season 1 cause I thought this was over after one season.

There'll surely be a re-run, or worst case you can watch it on FX's website.

There'll surely be a re-run, or worst case you can watch it on FX's website.

I just set my series recording and there's a replay of the first episode late Thursday night that I set to record so I'd have to wait till Friday to see it. I don't know if I can wait that long. I might watch it On Demand or maybe I'll just hurry up and finish up some inferior shows on my DVR in preparation of starting Fargo.

I'm not sure it was quite as good in a standalone sense as the first season's premiere was---that episode was a half hour longer and was notable for how it came swinging out of the gates like a madman with massive shockers in the very first episode--but I think this might be better as a premiere than that was because where that one wowed me and made me think "well where do we go from here that'll live up to that?" when it ended, this one hooked me and made me think "holy shit I can't wait to see where we go from here". It was a lot more patient and confident than the season one premiere, taking its sweet time introducing each of the groups of characters and setting up the dominoes for the season ahead. I don't think I've ever been this excited to watch episode two of a show.

Also, the cast is amazing and the cinematography is beautiful and stands head-to-head with Breaking Bad.

I completely forgot this was starting again. The first season was awesome with a few small exceptions (Key & Peele). Hopefully this season they stick with a good cast.

The only thing I didn't like about Key and Peele's characters were how abruptly they were killed off. A good chunk of the last four  episodes was spent building their characters and they were ultimately disposed of like a couple random extras, on a show where nearly every recurring character's death was treated like a big deal.