Lucas

Chevelle - La Gargola

139 posts in this topic

Listened to the first 6 tracks on the way to school and not that impressed at all. A lot of it is blending together for me. There's no hook on the vocals, it's all on the riffs, and that gets old eventually.

Very solid album, can't really say much more until I listen multiple times. Very heavy, and  I can tell it will only get better with more listens. 

I am definitely not dissapointed.

With the exception of "One Ocean" it really does all blur together.

That was going to be my immediate stand out. Just because of how different it was.

Their stuff traditionally blends together for me. I go into it knowing I'll need a bunch of listens.

With the exception of "One Ocean" it really does all blur together.

Take Out the Gunman, One Ocean, and Under the Knife are the only ones that stood out for me. The other ones sounded like a standard Chevelle track where the opening riff basically becomes the chorus of the song. Individually those songs sound pretty good but all at once? Meeeeeeeh.

After seeing their last album as a great step in the right direction, this one makes me sad. I think I liked Sci Fi better on my first listen than this one, and I was heartbroken my Sci Fi at first.

I only had a chance to listen to the first 4 tunes as I am currently in California with only an iPad. That said, "An Island" was fucking awesome.

While I can't say that I like "One Ocean", I will say it is a step in the right direction for them. There are some cool riffs on the album but other than that and "One Ocean" I just can't get into it.

A lot of it is blending together for me. There's no hook on the vocals, it's all on the riffs, and that gets old eventually.

Havent heard it yet but I totally believe this.

Upon 3 complete listens, I can confirm this album is awesome. "Choking Game" is the only song that still doesn't really stick. This has definitely shot to the top of my AOTY list

Upon 3 complete listens, I can confirm this album is awesome. "Choking Game" is the only song that still doesn't really stick. This has definitely shot to the top of my AOTY list

I think it's fucking great as well. It gets better and better every listen.

After two listens I can say that I dig this album a lot, but I'm not completely satified. I tend to like each song but I agree a lot of it does blend together. That's not necessiarily a terrible thing, but when I'm listening through it kind of makes me zone out at times and I miss parts of the songs or don't realize what song I'm on. As others have said I'm a huge fan of "One Ocean", and another stand out for me was the closer "Twinge". Really liked the opening guitar work that lead into the drum beat. I think I'm going to listen to this a few more times straight through and then try to just shuffle it up and see how I feel. As all Chevelle albums have been for me though, I can guarantee this will grow on me with each listen.

Some of you guys who said it all blends together need to get a better attention span  :D

Also, my favorite tracks right now are "An Island" (Love the guitar riff), Ouija Board, One Ocean, and Choking Game.

Some of you guys who said it all blends together need to get a better attention span :D

Also, my favorite tracks right now are "An Island" (Love the guitar riff), Ouija Board, One Ocean, and Choking Game.

It has nothing to do with attention span.

I keep going back to these tracks individually once in a while and they're pretty great by themselves, but there's not enough variation as an album. Fuck it, these songs will work because I typically just listen to a whole discography on shuffle when I hear music so they'll blend in with the other songs.

"An Island" is becoming my favorite, that one grew on me a lot.

Yeah I can say this is already growing on me a lot. Its one of those albums that with each listen I notice a new song that I really enjoy. You start to notice the little things that set each song apart. Choking Game is the latest to start to really grow on me, and it was one that seemed kind of meh to me at first. 

Yeah I can say this is already growing on me a lot. Its one of those albums that with each listen I notice a new song that I really enjoy. You start to notice the little things that set each song apart. Choking Game is the latest to start to really grow on me, and it was one that seemed kind of meh to me at first. 

I absolutely love the bridge in Choking Game.