Andrew

AOTY 2014

176 posts in this topic

Yeah having Fading West to listen in January when it was 40 below here was so nice; I could just feel the hope of summer weather and relaxation floating from the music into my ears and to my brain, especially on days when the sun wasn't visible at all. I would put on Fading West, and it would seem a little sunnier outside.

From what I've heard via clips, definitely Framing Hanley is a contender! Nixon, have you checked out the clips? The singer Kenneth stepped it up this time

From what I've heard via clips, definitely Framing Hanley is a contender! Nixon, have you checked out the clips? The singer Kenneth stepped it up this time

still sounds like his mouth is full of semen to me

We'll see, when your biggest claim to fame is a cover of a crappy rap song, there isn't high hopes for the future of the band. This album will more than likely make it or break it for them

Geeze man, take it easy.  I hear that guy checks these forums once in a while.

Don't say things like that or the stalkers will appear, bringing hilariously awkward posts for all...

As of 4/3/14 (Have heard or bought 16 2014 albums so far):

1. Demon Hunter - Extremist

2. Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues

3. For Today - Fight the Silence

4. Chiodos - Devil

5. Crosses - Self-titled

6. Memphis May Fire - Unconditional

7. Of Mice & Men - Restoring Force

8. La Dispute - Rooms of the House

9. Beck - Morning Phase

10. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

St. Paul And The Broken Bones are standing at the top of my list so far. And I honestly don't think anyone outside of a well done Flaw album, or Joe Bonamassa are going to come near it. But this year has so many records coming out that I plan on getting so we shall see.

No one's really broken from the pack this year but there's a couple of really strong records that I like.  In alphabetical order I'd say my AOTY contenders are

-Architects

-Chevelle

-Demon Hunter

-The Fray

-Issues

-Memphis May Fire

-More Than a Thousand

-Nine Lashes

-Ryan Star

-We Are The In Crowd

Needtobreathe instantly jumped out and challenged Switchfoot for me. I need to see if it has the same lasting effect before I can say I liked it better.

Intervals - A Voice Within. I think I can get at least Xeph and Jaime to agree with me.

I haven't heard it yet, but I tend to not love djent stuff as much as I'm a prog guy. The Periphery demos with Casey on vocals and the first TesseracT album are the exceptions for me, but since then there have been too many djent copycats and it sounds all the same to me. I guess I like The Haarp Machine too, but they definitely put a different spin on djent. And Nothing More has djent aspects on a few of their songs, but they're much more a rock band with djent influences rather than a djent band. From what I've heard of Intervals, I like it, but nothing really draws me in to inspire me to take the next step and really get into them.

Needtobreathe instantly jumped out and challenged Switchfoot for me. I need to see if it has the same lasting effect before I can say I liked it better.

That's a bold statement, sir. I decided just to wait until Tuesday to give needtobreathe's new one a listen, but, after reading your post, I am pretty pumped now for Tuesday to hurry up and arrive.

So, last year so far was way better with new music/albums. The only new albums I've liked so far are Skindred, Sevendust (acoustic), and Demon Hunter. Framing Hanley was solid and improved. PM5K comes out soon, so that will be up there. I haven't found a breakout new band yet other than the obvious Nothing More (which I bought the album last year). Last year produced several (Devour the Day, Gemini Syndrome, Candlelight Red, Nothing More). Black Stone Cherry was disappointing. BTW, Destiny Potato released their album last week and it's decent. I have high hopes for better music coming out in late summer and fall this year.  

1. Chevelle - La Gargola

2. Miss Fortune - A Spark to Believe

3. Tycho - Awake

4. In Hearts Wake - Earthwalker

5. Crosses - Crosses

6. Demon Hunter - Extremist

7. Framing Hanley - The Sum of Who We Are

8. Elder Brother - Heavy Head

9. Fireworks - Oh, Common Life

10. Skindred - Kill the Power

This year has been a little slower in terms of quality releases, but it's about to pick up. Anberlin, Bad Suns, Slaves, Emarosa, Rise Against, Emery....

My updated List:

1) Guardian - Almost Home

2) Brantley Gilbert - Just As I Am

3) DoryDrive - Heres To You

4) Michael Sweet - I'm Not Your Suicide

1. Chevelle - La Gargola (8.5/10)

2. Powerman 5000 - Builders of the Future (7/10)

3. Framing Hanley - The Sum of Who We Are (6/10)

I usually try and listen to some crap to protect perfectly decent stuff from being on the bottom but Hollywood Undead or My Darkest Days haven't put anything out. Anyone have a recommendation?