Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

Interview, Interviews...and more Interviews!

15 posts in this topic

So hey, I have a fuck ton of interviews coming up in the next few weeks. If you have any questions for any of these bands, drop 'em on this way. (I'll just update when new things pop up)

This Thursday: Mike Hranica from The Devil Wears Prada

Monday, October 7th: Miss May I are dropping by the studio. They're touring with 5FDP, Escape The Fate and Gemini Syndrome.

Sunday, October 13th: Deftones at Joe Louis Arena (touring with A7X and Ghost).

Waiting for confirmation on A7X, Story of the Year and another interview with TDWP at their tour kickoff show in Royal Oak, MI.

My interviews are almost always intended specifically for radio airing, so not many of them are actually on camera. But yeah, some are on YouTube as well. I'll post a few soon when I get the chance. One thing I really need to do is pull my archive together.

One question I'd like asked of the Deftones, even though I know it's a common question nowadays, is if we will ever hear that Lovers album. Now that Chi's passed on, I'm wondering will the album see the light of day? Is it difficult for the band to go back to those recordings considering they were made with Chi or would it be easier for them now that Chi's passed, like saying hey, these were Chi's last recordings, let's show them to the world. Or would the band just rather move on?

One question I'd like asked of the Deftones, even though I know it's a common question nowadays, is if we will ever hear that Lovers album. Now that Chi's passed on, I'm wondering will the album see the light of day? Is it difficult for the band to go back to those recordings considering they were made with Chi or would it be easier for them now that Chi's passed, like saying hey, these were Chi's last recordings, let's show them to the world. Or would the band just rather move on?

That's a question I'm definitely going to ask, but I'm really torn by how I best address the whole Chi thing in a way that's professional, sincere and productive. But yes, I will ask about Eros.

Oh yeah, it was called Eros, wasn't it. Lovers was the working title of the self-titled. My bad.

And yes, it feels like it would be hard to ask something like that respectfully.

So, to give Pen the answer to his question, on Sunday I spoke with Sergio Vega and Frank Delgado. I'll have the video up later this week, but here's a paraphrase of what they had to say about Eros seeing a release.

"It's not likely. I think there's a big misconception about it. That there's this completed album that we locked away. It wasn't like that. I don't see any reason to return to that project. It was a time where we made the decision to go back to writing songs together as a band, but it's really just an unfinished project."

So, to give Pen the answer to his question, on Sunday I spoke with Sergio Vega and Frank Delgado. I'll have the video up later this week, but here's a paraphrase of what they had to say about Eros seeing a release.

"It's not likely. I think there's a big misconception about it. That there's this completed album that we locked away. It wasn't like that. I don't see any reason to return to that project. It was a time where we made the decision to go back to writing songs together as a band, but it's really just an unfinished project."

That... pretty much flies in the face of everything they ever had to say previously about the project, but okay. I'm glad to at least get some clarification.

That... pretty much flies in the face of everything they ever had to say previously about the project, but okay. I'm glad to at least get some clarification.

Likewise. I kept hearing statements that could be summed up as "one day, when the time is right." But yeah, this is what they had to say face to face. Though, it's worth noting that nothing I've heard about it up to this point was coming directly and solely from Frank, and he was the one that did all the talking when I asked.

Likewise. I kept hearing statements that could be summed up as "one day, when the time is right." But yeah, this is what they had to say face to face. Though, it's worth noting that nothing I've heard about it up to this point was coming directly and solely from Frank, and he was the one that did all the talking when I asked.

Yeah, cause this http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/blogs/omgphnewsblog/deftones-chino-moreno-mourns-colleague-talks-music-131234156.html is Chino basically saying that he thinks it will get released and that they had at least six songs that were done... so then for Frank to go and say something completely different is weird. Maybe there's just mixed opinions in the band about what to do with that material.

Yeah, cause this http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/blogs/omgphnewsblog/deftones-chino-moreno-mourns-colleague-talks-music-131234156.html is Chino basically saying that he thinks it will get released and that they had at least six songs that were done... so then for Frank to go and say something completely different is weird. Maybe there's just mixed opinions in the band about what to do with that material.

Yeah, I think some members might view it as a project not worth going back to, and others are humoring the possibility. At least that's what seems most likely.

but the differing definitions of "done" come into play here.

granted, i didn't read the link you just posted, but it's very possible that Chi had tracked his bass parts on some songs with drums already. but the other stuff hadn't been recorded. so in essence, Chi's part was done and there were likely scratch guitars there so the song could be viewed as "done" in a way. but Frank could be saying "they never were finished" bc, in truth, the songs weren't completely finished

but the differing definitions of "done" come into play here.

granted, i didn't read the link you just posted, but it's very possible that Chi had tracked his bass parts on some songs with drums already. but the other stuff hadn't been recorded. so in essence, Chi's part was done and there were likely scratch guitars there so the song could be viewed as "done" in a way. but Frank could be saying "they never were finished" bc, in truth, the songs weren't completely finished

I dunno. I guess. I know they had been playing some of the songs live around that time so I assumed that they were finished, but I guess maybe they weren't done actually recording them? Can't know really, only they do.

I dunno. I guess. I know they had been playing some of the songs live around that time so I assumed that they were finished, but I guess maybe they weren't done actually recording them? Can't know really, only they do.

yea that's what i'm saying. they likely knew what they were recording and the song was finished as far as structure, lyrics, melody, everything WRITTEN. but they probably went into the studio and started recording and just never completely finished any of the songs before it happened. 

for example, when we record, we track scratch guitars. then we record the real drums to those scratch guitars. then we record bass. then we record vocals. some people do drums, then bass, then guitars, then vocals. but most always these are done songs at a time. like 5 songs of drums. then those 5 songs of bass or guitars. then those 5 songs of guitars or bass. then those 5 songs of vocals

The only thing I can assert from what Frank told me is that the album was never completed. To what degree that applies, I have no clue. Only that it currently remains finished, the he doesn't think it's likely to be finished, and that if it were to be it won't be anytime soon.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0