EchoX860

World News

1,785 posts in this topic

Yet our evil "president" continues the same "thoughts and prayers" bullcrap he did to Vegas. If only we have a majority of congresspeople/senators who have a heart instead of being cruel and heartless, America would be so much better off. Too bad we have a government who's too busy sucking off the NRA and big corporations.

12 hours ago, NinjaNick101 said:

Yet our evil "president" continues the same "thoughts and prayers" bullcrap he did to Vegas. If only we have a majority of congresspeople/senators who have a heart instead of being cruel and heartless, America would be so much better off. Too bad we have a government who's too busy sucking off the NRA and big corporations.

It would be nice if we had people running the country who did what was in the best interest of the American people. You've got Democrats on one side all agreeing on the same stuff and Republicans on the other side all agreeing with the opposite stuff. They should be on the side of what is right for our country. There shouldn't even be any political parties.

My friend (who dislikes Trump for the record) is a big gun fan and totally against any ban or anything. If his one-year-old son was in a school that was shot up in a few years he'd change his stance on guns immediately. I won't say that to him though because the truth hurts and he'd get pissed.

Yesterday Don Lemon said that the U.S. is 4% of the world's population and yet we control something like 43% of the worlds guns. The only country that has more gun-related deaths in the whole world is Yemen. Do we really want to be bunched with fucking Yemen? Some guy who watches ISIS videos on YouTube will kill three people once a year and the Republicans are up in arms and demand action. Yet there's a public shooting that kills dozens like once a week and they don't give a shit. They should ban all guns to the public as far as I'm concerned. This isn't the old west. People who like to hunt don't need to kill animals to put food on the table. They'll get over it.

For me the most shocking this about yesterday is how desensitized everyone has become to gun violence. I heard about it as I was driving home from work so I turned on the local news as I sat down for dinner to see if there was anything new. There was no mention of it until the last minute of the show where they said "we will have more details at 11". And I know the local news is not the best place to look for national stories but you'd think a school shooting with 20 people murdered would be a blip on the damn radar.

Sadly, I personally do not get shocked when I hear about mass shootings anymore. There's initial grief for the victims and their families but then you move on to the next one. I think this how it is more most people, the media and politicians included. We will have a day or two when people get the courage to say something and then boom it's over next. Everyone will eventually give up because nothing is ever done and mass shooting will officially be an American way of life.

I personally gave up any hope for change after Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook should have hit the country the hardest, we are talking about dozens of little kids who are beyond defenseless. But not only did nothing get done, every once in a while you hear some loon talk about how it was all staged by the government.

So... I'm actually a Marjory Stoneman Douglas Alumni and Nikolas Cruz was caught by police literally down the block from my house. Let me tell you, this area is absolutely devastated right now. The Parkland/Coral Springs area is a very safe and family-oriented community. I decided to raise my kids here because of the great experience I had growing up here. While going to MSD, never in my mind would have I thought that this would happen in my school and in my hometown.

While I've taken this incident pretty hard as has everyone else around here, I can't even imagine how the victims family and friends feel. While I was very sad on Wednesday, my mood turned to angry over the last two days. Now that more facts have come out about how this could have prevented so many times. How the FBI never gave word of reports of Cruz being a threat after citizens and others called in. 

Columbine happened nineteen years ago and nothing has changed. Congress needs to absolutely take this incident and the many others in the past as a very serious issue in this country. They need gun regulations and to focus more on curing mental health. Republicans keep saying through the media that it's too early or now's the not the time. How long are you going to wait before another beautiful community such as mine loses innocent lives?

These were smart young minds and faculty that you can consider heroes that did not have to lose their lives. Trump arrived down here today and the Vice Mayor of Parkland actually wants him gone. This area is very very heavily Democratic and he's going to get ripped to all shreds when he meets with the community tomorrow. Until he and Congress takes action, this kind of incident will happen anywhere.

1 hour ago, American_Idiot said:

They need gun regulations and to focus more on curing mental health.

I agree with the first part about what you said. The second is a little tougher. You can't really cure mental health issues. If someone decides to go off their meds nothing can be done to stop what they might do. In a perfect world, they'd get these people that are a danger to society, lock them in a nuthouse and throw away the key. They probably did that back in the day which is why this stuff never happened much. But obviously that isn't going to happen so the next best thing is to get rid of the damn guns. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Can't do anything about the people so something needs to be done about the guns. I say they ban guns to the general public, but grandfather it in so people who have them already can keep them. You won't notice a change right away but with no new guns on the streets you'll start to see a difference over time. And I don't give a damn what the Constitution says about the right to bear arms. It was a whole different world when that was written. Back then they had muskets that probably took five minutes to reload after one shot. They didn't have assault rifles.

Frankly the only way gun legislation is ever going to be passed or the second amendment repealed is if a well-regulated militia arms themselves and burns the NRA to the ground. 

Which I would not be opposed to. 

@American_Idiot I'm really sorry for what you're going through. No one should have to. The whole country is going through it together to some degree, but it's obviously much harder for those that are in the area. I definitely have this feeling of being nestled away from most of the country's population in Central Maine, that's for sure. 

Not specifically to AI, but to all: I wrote some ramblings on my Facebook page, but since we're discussing the shooting here i thought it might be relevant. 

"Whenever there's a mass shooting, we always talk thoughts and prayers, gun control and mental health. The conversation's results are the same: Nothing changes. There is something that we can do RIGHT NOW to bring changes: STOP saying the murderer's name and STOP sharing their faces. Stop glamorizing them and giving them the fame that they desire so badly.

Instead, focus on the victims of these murders. Talk about the heroes who stepped in front of bullets to save their friend. Talk about the lives they've left behind. Glamorize each and every one of these lives, not the one who took them from us.

I know this is a silly analogy, but the concept is the same. There used to be a problem of streakers running onto fields during sporting events. They wanted fame and to get some laughs. So what did the networks do in the blink of an eye? They all came together and said they would stop showing the streaking. Now, when someone does it, they take the camera off them and show the commentators. They only resume coverage when that person is gone. The amount of people streaking during events has gone down dramatically since people know they won't get notoriety. DEMAND this same concept from our media for mass murderers.

It's not a perfect fix, and it will not stop the problem completely, but I think it will go a long way in reducing the amount of these people that are seeking fame. There are many cases of where these pieces of shit murderers have publicly discussed the fame you get when you do it, and they know what's to come, long after they cowardly (most of the time) kill themselves.

DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM."

One thing I want to mention is the stuff about mental illness. While it appeared to be a factor in this shooting and in most mass shootings, my issues with guns is not just about mass shootings, it's about gun violence in general. People seem to think that only people with mental illness are capable of murder. It must make them feel safer thinking that no sane person like them could commit a horrible crime. Well the truth is that regular, normal people can and do commit horrible violent acts. Murder isn't just exclusive to crazy people.

I remember even when Aaron Hernandez killed himself and a surprising number of people were strangely feeling bad for the murderer, I heard a few comments about how they didn't realize he had mental issues. Suicide isn't exclusive to people with mental issues either. This guy had the world by the balls and fucked it all up. He probably killed himself because he realized he wasted his life or he did it so his daughter could get his money. But of course people assume it was mental illness because apparently only the mentally ill know how to pull triggers.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:39 AM, Koldes said:

@American_Idiot I'm really sorry for what you're going through. No one should have to. The whole country is going through it together to some degree, but it's obviously much harder for those that are in the area. I definitely have this feeling of being nestled away from most of the country's population in Central Maine, that's for sure. 

Not specifically to AI, but to all: I wrote some ramblings on my Facebook page, but since we're discussing the shooting here i thought it might be relevant. 

"Whenever there's a mass shooting, we always talk thoughts and prayers, gun control and mental health. The conversation's results are the same: Nothing changes. There is something that we can do RIGHT NOW to bring changes: STOP saying the murderer's name and STOP sharing their faces. Stop glamorizing them and giving them the fame that they desire so badly.

Instead, focus on the victims of these murders. Talk about the heroes who stepped in front of bullets to save their friend. Talk about the lives they've left behind. Glamorize each and every one of these lives, not the one who took them from us.

I know this is a silly analogy, but the concept is the same. There used to be a problem of streakers running onto fields during sporting events. They wanted fame and to get some laughs. So what did the networks do in the blink of an eye? They all came together and said they would stop showing the streaking. Now, when someone does it, they take the camera off them and show the commentators. They only resume coverage when that person is gone. The amount of people streaking during events has gone down dramatically since people know they won't get notoriety. DEMAND this same concept from our media for mass murderers.

It's not a perfect fix, and it will not stop the problem completely, but I think it will go a long way in reducing the amount of these people that are seeking fame. There are many cases of where these pieces of shit murderers have publicly discussed the fame you get when you do it, and they know what's to come, long after they cowardly (most of the time) kill themselves.

DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM."

Thanks, man. I've been to two different candlelight vigils in my area over the last week and visited the memorial at a local park where they are honoring the victims. One of the victims apparently lived down the street from me. People are angry. Very very very angry. Nightly, I've hear protests walking past my neighborhood chanting "Never again" and "We need change." Governor Rick Scott just keeps saying to pray for the families and is ignoring any comments of gun law change. Trump was here over the weekend. He never visited Parkland to speak to victims families or to the community. He visited the hospital for about 35 minutes where victims were recovering and then went to the Broward Sherrif's Office to praise the responders for getting them to the hospital so fast and officers involved in the shooting while smiling in a picture and giving the thumbs up sign. While over the last few days, families have had funerals for their innocent children, he spent yesterday afternoon golfing before going back to D.C. 

MSD Alumni are also having vigils all over the country every night and there have been walkouts daily from schools in the area. The community and these kids from Douglas are so amazing. They are going to the capitol in Tallahassee today, and have organized the "March of Our Lives" in D.C. next month. Tomorrow night, CNN is having a Town Hall Meeting at 9pm EST with members of the community to speak out. Marco Rubio actually is attending while Scott and Trump declined. If what these kids are doing don't make progress to the politicians to make change, they will just keep fighting even more. It's terrible in my mind that they even have to take the responsibility to do this, but I admire them so much for everything they've been doing in this fight. 

On 2/16/2018 at 7:54 PM, American_Idiot said:

So... I'm actually a Marjory Stoneman Douglas Alumni and Nikolas Cruz was caught by police literally down the block from my house. Let me tell you, this area is absolutely devastated right now. The Parkland/Coral Springs area is a very safe and family-oriented community. I decided to raise my kids here because of the great experience I had growing up here. While going to MSD, never in my mind would have I thought that this would happen in my school and in my hometown.

While I've taken this incident pretty hard as has everyone else around here, I can't even imagine how the victims family and friends feel. While I was very sad on Wednesday, my mood turned to angry over the last two days. Now that more facts have come out about how this could have prevented so many times. How the FBI never gave word of reports of Cruz being a threat after citizens and others called in. 

Columbine happened nineteen years ago and nothing has changed. Congress needs to absolutely take this incident and the many others in the past as a very serious issue in this country. They need gun regulations and to focus more on curing mental health. Republicans keep saying through the media that it's too early or now's the not the time. How long are you going to wait before another beautiful community such as mine loses innocent lives?

These were smart young minds and faculty that you can consider heroes that did not have to lose their lives. Trump arrived down here today and the Vice Mayor of Parkland actually wants him gone. This area is very very heavily Democratic and he's going to get ripped to all shreds when he meets with the community tomorrow. Until he and Congress takes action, this kind of incident will happen anywhere.

I'm glad they are fighting. I was at Virginia Tech during the shootings and it still effects me to this day. Unfortunately, the issue has gotten worse since then. I hope that politicians do something for once.