EchoX860

World News

1,774 posts in this topic

I read that he was diagnosed with affluenza and at first I thought that meant he had the flu.

That being said, while I get the points being made by putting him where he can get counseling, I feel like really ultimately the problem is that he got drunk and drove, and unless he's being put through some kind of alcoholics anonymous thing, I don't see what the punishment has to do with his crime. He really should be punished more harshly for such a horrible offense. Four people gone in the blink of an eye and we're worried about his upbringing.

Is there actually a stereotype that gay people are attracted to kids? Cause I've never heard of that before and I have no idea why this Russian president would even mention phedophiles in the same category as gays.

It's because Russia is still very against homosexuality so they don't want gay athletes corrupting their youth. That's how they are looking at it. At one point they were saying they might not even allow gay athletes period

Is there actually a stereotype that gay people are attracted to kids? Cause I've never heard of that before and I have no idea why this Russian president would even mention phedophiles in the same category as gays.

I think Priests and young boys may be one of the causes.

Many people view homosexuality and pedophilia to be connected. Why? Who knows. Do they? Nope.

The argument that homosexuality somehow leads to pedophilia is the same as people saying smoking weed leads to cocaine and meth. It's just bullshit and people who have an agenda.

did you guys see the thing where scientists brought back to life a 30,000 year old virus? it's not a threat to humans, but it brings up the idea that with climate change could come the thawing of viruses that have been frozen for thousands of years that COULD be potential threats to humans. 

i could probably explain that better, but don't have the time to. look it up. pretty damn scary

That's how the zombie apocalypse will start.

no, but for real, this is some scary shit. some REAL shit

edit: not the zombie apocalypse. was replying to you, not referring to the zombie apocalypse for clarification

no, but for real, this is some scary shit. some REAL shit

edit: not the zombie apocalypse. was replying to you, not referring to the zombie apocalypse for clarification

No, you're right, it is scary to think that we could release some terrible virus that we have no cure for that could ravage the populace. On the other hand, it's too abstract for me right now to be in any real serious fear. For starters, do we know if we even have anything to be truly afraid of? Do we know of any ancient viruses that could potentially be a danger to humans that haven't mutated over time into a present day curable form? I haven't seen the article you're talking about so I don't know if this is a legit concern or a big giant question mark.

No, you're right, it is scary to think that we could release some terrible virus that we have no cure for that could ravage the populace. On the other hand, it's too abstract for me right now to be in any real serious fear. For starters, do we know if we even have anything to be truly afraid of? Do we know of any ancient viruses that could potentially be a danger to humans that haven't mutated over time into a present day curable form? I haven't seen the article you're talking about so I don't know if this is a legit concern or a big giant question mark.

Short answer bc I'm on my phone:

It's my understanding they knew nothing of this virus. They discovered it after thawing ice found somewhere. It brings up the possibility of there being a disease that we aren't aware of that is frozen somewhere that could indeed wipe out humans.

Wouldn't a virus that old only be infectious to life that is similarly old? I mean, if it's been frozen since the Ice Age, how would it evolve and adapt to new forms of life? I mean, I'm not sure how virus evolution works, but I'm just thinking if this virus only harms ameobas, then I can't imagine a virus being thawed out that's deadly to humans when it's never been around human life. I could be wrong though, I'm just pulling shit from my ass.

I don't think you read this very closely. El Nino is usually a good thing...

According to the report, the chance of an El Niño reemerging this year has increased. And, if the models from the report play out, that could mean fewer named storms in the 2014 Atlantic hurricane season and potential drought relief for parts of California later this year.

Researchers have found that instances of Atlantic tropical storms and hurricanes are usually reduced during an El Niño year. Based on the current model data, it appears that El Niño could develop near the height of the Atlantic hurricane season — potentially inhibiting some tropical development.

If El Niño develops, beneficial rains could bring much-needed relief to some drought-stricken areas, most notably California.

I don't think you read this very closely. El Nino is usually a good thing...

I did read it.

It's pissed because of the drought, and because of the number of named storms in the atlantic hurricane season recently

Wouldn't a virus that old only be infectious to life that is similarly old? I mean, if it's been frozen since the Ice Age, how would it evolve and adapt to new forms of life? I mean, I'm not sure how virus evolution works, but I'm just thinking if this virus only harms ameobas, then I can't imagine a virus being thawed out that's deadly to humans when it's never been around human life. I could be wrong though, I'm just pulling shit from my ass.

FGDogPoop.gif

I did read it.

It's pissed because of the drought, and because of the number of named storms in the atlantic hurricane season recently

Ah pissed w/ weather to me meant it'd cause worse storms which isn't the case. My bad dawg.