Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koldes

2012 AOTY - Ranking Results!

49 posts in this topic

Here are the rankings for the 2012 Alternative Ranking System. I present to you:

22 - Nine Lashes - 'World We View' - 66

21 - Janus - 'Nox Aeris' - 71

19b - Projected - ;Human' - 72

19a - POD - 'Murdered Love' - 72

18 - Young Guns - 'Bones' - 75

17 - Call Me No One - 'Last Parade' - 76

15b- Shinedown - 'Amaryllis' - 83

15a - 10 Years - 'Minus The Machine' - 83

14 - SafetySuit - 'These Times' - 86

13 - Hurt - 'The Crux' - 91

12 - Coheed and Cambria - ''The Afterman: Ascension' - 93

11 - Thousand Foot Krutch - 'This End is Where We Begin' - 104

10 - Periphery - 'Periphery II: This Time It’s Personal' - 111

9 - Sinch - 'Hive Mind' - 114

8 - Sent By Ravens - 'Mean What You Say' - 117

7 - Papa Roach - 'The Connection' - 129

6 - Anberlin - 'Vital' - 138

5 - Tremonti - 'All I Was' - 151

4 - Linkin Park - 'Living Things' - 160

3 - Imagine Dragons - 'Night Visions' - 174

2- Stone Sour - 'HoGaB Part 1' - 188

1 - Deftones - 'Koi No Yokan' - 219

Deftones is the clear winner of points! Also tied Tremonti for the amount of total votes; 11.

There were 169 different albums selected for (up to) top 25.

I stopped at 22 because there are many, many albums that come in between 25-50 points, well underneath Nine Lashes. All that takes is one or two people thinking high of it, and then a couple others having it on their list somewhere. There's a large drop off after Nine Lashes, and it did well in MM, so it seemed like a good place to stop for now.

I'll post top 50 and some other interesting facts that I found while tallying up the votes, tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks to everyone who contributed with lists:

Chris7, Lucas, Nixon, Wired, NinjaNick, Blade, Jamie, Pat, Andrew, Juggz, Paul, Omar, Lamberson, Pen, Ruiner, Xeph, and Veritas.

Thoughts?

I think Deftones winning shows that this idea didn't work ;)

I assume you're just trolling, but... how do you figured? Deftones vs Stone Sour caused a bunch of people to get mad in MM - and is the exact example of what I used when I introduced this idea in the other thread:

This will work well for people who were upset at their favorite albums meeting in earlier rounds of MM, and then one of the their favorites being eliminated. For instance, those who like Stone Sour and Deftones can give them a total of Rank 1 and 2, giving them 25 and 24 points, rather than seeing one completely eliminated only for the other to move on.

TFK's album is titled 'The End is Where We Begin', not 'This is Where The End Begins'

;) 

Also, whenever you expand on all this, I'd like to see how many votes each one got just to get an idea of how much placement mattered compared to leaving a lasting effect on the majority of voters.

Yeah, I actually like these results better than MM to be quite honest. Deftones was out way too early. I like this idea because you don't have to have "eliminations" of two good albums right off the bat like how Deftones/SS met in a fairly early round when both clearly would've made it further given the rankings. If anything, this could be a pre-cursor to MM in the future to offer up a way to create a seeding setup and THEN we use that to vote and see who comes out the victor. Much better than just being "random" IMO, much like how the NCAA Basketball tournament is in theory setup to give higher seeds to better teams, same should work for music tournaments. My $0.02.

I think these results are fairly solid given a relatively small sample size. There are a few albums in the Top 20 that I personally don't care for that much, but that's to be expected.

As stated above, I'd be curious to see how the Top 50 played out. Mainly because I want to see where Every Time I Die fell along the spectrum (as I saw others rank it in their lists).

To me this also proves MM is flawed w/o the above-mentioned seed idea where the "winner" of this year is only 15th from this sample size. It's very intriguing. The seed system would ensure that less albums that are highly favored don't get bumped early and proceed closer to the end, which should be the point in voting on the BEST album of the year; it shouldn't come down to crappy random match-ups.

Yeah I'll be sure to post the top 50 as soon as I can tonight.

I think most of it you guys will find boring due to the low amount of votes/points for a lot of bands outside of the top 30-40, but there will be a few personal/interesting ones, like Every Time I Die.

The problem with this point system is, for instance, even if several people put ETID on their list, if it's in the bottom 20-25, then they probably only got 20 points or so. Then you look at something like Wired naming Storm Corrosion as his #1, well, that automatically ranks higher than ETID. It's definitely not a perfect system but it is pretty interesting to look at.

I'll get those numbers up as soon as I can. I plan on including a few unique bands that may be out of top 50, some interesting facts, certain albums a lot of people voted for, etc etc.

That was a "for instance".

I know, but I'm just saying that ETID will receive that same boost because it earned 25 points solely on my ranking.

I know, but I'm just saying that ETID will receive that same boost because it earned 25 points solely on my ranking.

Let me try again;

That was a "For example, hypothetically, not using real names or numbers..." to show a flaw within the system. You cheeky bastard. You're lucky I love you.

To me this also proves MM is flawed w/o the above-mentioned seed idea where the "winner" of this year is only 15th from this sample size. It's very intriguing. The seed system would ensure that less albums that are highly favored don't get bumped early and proceed closer to the end, which should be the point in voting on the BEST album of the year; it shouldn't come down to crappy random match-ups.

To be fair, I'm sure there was a slight bias against 10 Years when making these lists from people who were disappointed that it won. The whole premise of this ranking was in reaction to 10 Years controversially winning. Do I think it would have naturally been near the top? No, but I think it may have subconsciously made people knock it down a few spots or leave it off their lists when it would have snuck onto the bottom of their lists before the MM final round.

It didn't affect my rankings w/ any bias at all, so personally speaking I don't agree with you there Jamie. I listed it just as I would w/o thinking of the MM results.

It didn't affect my rankings w/ any bias at all, so personally speaking I don't agree with you there Jamie. I listed it just as I would w/o thinking of the MM results.

^If it's subconscious, you can never be sure...

The ole "I don't care what you say, because anything you say I will just say it's a part of your subconscious and therefore you are wrong" routine. Nice work Jamie! You're truly a member of TL now.

The ole "I don't care what you say, because anything you say I will just say it's a part of your subconscious and therefore you are wrong" routine. Nice work Jamie! You're truly a member of TL now.

;)

What can I say, I'm a pro.

No Dead Sara? You guys are lame.

Dead Sara, IIRC while not looking at the numbers, was in the 30s or 40s or so. Maybe even a little higher.

While I will be looking into a way to seed for next year's MM, I would like to point out something I find odd: Stone Sour is up near the top here with double the votes of 10 Years, but 10 Years very clearly beat Stone Sour during MM. The only explanation I have for this is that the people who voted for Stone Sour in MM feel way more strongly about it as an album than the people who voted for 10 Years in MM, and yet there were more of them.

Both ways have their flaws. It's never going to be a perfect system whichever way we use. But the good thing with the tournament is you are introduced to new bands before a tunelab band steamrolls it.

While I will be looking into a way to seed for next year's MM, I would like to point out something I find odd: Stone Sour is up near the top here with double the votes of 10 Years, but 10 Years very clearly beat Stone Sour during MM. The only explanation I have for this is that the people who voted for Stone Sour in MM feel way more strongly about it as an album than the people who voted for 10 Years in MM, and yet there were more of them.

I like the random system. Too many tournaments have seeding, and I don't think there's a fair way to do it honestly.