Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koldes

2012 Albums of the Year - An Alternative Ranking System

95 posts in this topic

With MM concluding, I wanted to set up a really quick alternative album ranking system. It won't replace or trivialize MM, rather, be a ranking system along side it to add on to seeing how people feel about the past year's albums.

Here's my idea:

A very easy ranking system. Just rank (up to) your top 25 albums - just like we normally do in the AOTY threads. You don't need to do all 25 if you don't want, but 25 will be the limit.

Your first place rank will get 25 points, and your 25th place rank will get 1 point. For example.

#1 - Tremonti
#2 - Album B
#3 - Album C
#4 - Stone Sour

#25 - My Darkest Days

For my ranking system, Ranking #1, Tremonti, will get 25 points, and Album 4, Stone Sour, will get 22 points. All the way down to Album 25, My Darkest Days which would get 1 point.

After everyone has given their album ranks, I'll tally everything up and give out the points - then I'll re-rank everyone's total list, based on the amount of points they receive.

This will work well for people who were upset at their favorite albums meeting in earlier rounds of MM, and then one of the their favorites being eliminated. For instance, those who like Stone Sour and Deftones can give them a total of Rank 1 and 2, giving them 25 and 24 points, rather than seeing one completely eliminated only for the other to move on. 

This will also be cool for an album that the majority of people like, but didn't put as #1 - but was quickly eliminated from MM by a strong #1 contender. At the end of the tallying, an album that was consistently in the middle of people's rankings, could very well be the most highly ranked album.

I will leave it open until Sunday the 14th (or until we feel everyone who has contributed, will). 

Go ahead and start listing your top albums of 2012. Make sure that they're in order from greatest to least, or the points won't be calculated right for your favorites.

I like this idea. Good going Koldes!

1. Periphery - Periphery II: This Time It's Personal

2. Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension

3. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

4. Anberlin - Vital

5. 10 Years - Minus the Machine

6. P.O.D. - Murdered Love

7. Taproot - The Episodes

8. We Are The Ocean - Maybe Today, Maybe Tomorrow

9. Baroness - Yellow and Green

10. Janus - Nox Aeris

11. Nonpoint - Nonpoint

12. Twelve Foot Ninja - Twelve Foot Ninja

13. Imagine Dragons - Night Visions

14. Gideon - Milestone

15. Demon Hunter - True Defiance

16. Ellie Goulding - Halcyon

17. Siamese Fighting Fish - Breathe:See:Move

18. Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods

19. Sinch - Hive Mind

20. Tremonti - All I Was

21. Celldweller - Wish Upon A Blackstar

22. Minus the Bear - Infinity Overhead

23. I Am Abomination - Let the Future Tell the Truth

24. Nine Lashes - World We View

25. Motion City Soundtrack - Go

With MM concluding, I wanted to set up a really quick alternative album ranking system. It won't replace or trivialize MM, rather, be a ranking system along side it to add on to seeing how people feel about the past year's albums.

Here's my idea:

A very easy ranking system. Just rank (up to) your top 25 albums - just like we normally do in the AOTY threads. You don't need to do all 25 if you don't want, but 25 will be the limit.

Your first place rank will get 25 points, and your 25th place rank will get 1 point. For example.

#1 - Tremonti

#2 - Album B

#3 - Album C

#4 - Stone Sour

#25 - My Darkest Days

For my ranking system, Ranking #1, Tremonti, will get 25 points, and Album 4, Stone Sour, will get 22 points. All the way down to Album 25, My Darkest Days which would get 1 point.

After everyone has given their album ranks, I'll tally everything up and give out the points - then I'll re-rank everyone's total list, based on the amount of points they receive.

This will work well for people who were upset at their favorite albums meeting in earlier rounds of MM, and then one of the their favorites being eliminated. For instance, those who like Stone Sour and Deftones can give them a total of Rank 1 and 2, giving them 25 and 24 points, rather than seeing one completely eliminated only for the other to move on. 

This will also be cool for an album that the majority of people like, but didn't put as #1 - but was quickly eliminated from MM by a strong #1 contender. At the end of the tallying, an album that was consistently in the middle of people's rankings, could very well be the most highly ranked album.

I will leave it open until Sunday the 14th (or until we feel everyone who has contributed, will). 

Go ahead and start listing your top albums of 2012. Make sure that they're in order from greatest to least, or the points won't be calculated right for your favorites.

Whoa I actually had this exact same thought yesterday, only I was gonna say top 10s because I wasn't sure how many people wanted to do top 25s. I feel like a system like this rewards albums for being a lot of people's favorites far more than March Madness where the final basically came down the binary question: assuming you think 10 Years is pretty cool, do you love Imagine Dragons or really not at all into them...and with the exception of Xeph and maybe a couple others, that's pretty much how the final was decided.

Dammit, it's not letting me post outside the quoted text. So what I said is at the bottom of the quote box lol.

Edit your post, and click the light switch on the top left hand corner. Take your text and put it outside of the </quote> thing and then hit the switch again. Should be okay after you save the edit.

To respond to what you said about 10 Years/ID - I agree completely - that was my same thinking.

In regards to the list - people don't HAVE to do 25. You could just do top 10 if you wanted. I just figured UP to 25. Either way, you'd get 16 points for your 10th album, if you listed only 10, or if you did 25.

I love the idea, but just see certain bands like sevendust and alter bridge racking up the most points just because more people would have them on their lists, and maybe not number one but for sure top 8. There's got to be a way to avoid stuff like that. It's just a sticky mess all around.

I love the idea, but just see certain bands like sevendust and alter bridge racking up the most points just because more people would have them on their lists, and maybe not number one but for sure top 8. There's got to be a way to avoid stuff like that. It's just a sticky mess all around.

Neither band put out an album last year. This idea is great. It makes people actually think about which albums they liked and didn't instead of going blindly by the name

There are a lot of songs I really like, but the album overall isn't very strong. But I guess I will rank these on how much I enjoy the album overall, even in some of my higher ranked albums don't have as many stand out tracks as some of my lower ranked (and non-ranked) albums.

1. Imagine Dragons - 'Night Visions'

2. Shinedown - 'Amaryllis'

3. Close To Home - 'Momentum'

4. The Classic Crime - 'Phoenix'

5. Bury Tomorrow - 'The Union Of Crowns'

6. Disciple - 'O God Save Us All'

7. Papa Roach - 'The Connection'

8. Sent By Ravens - 'Mean What You Say'

9. Nine Lashes - 'World We View'

10. Three Days Grace - 'Transit Of Venus'

11. Anberlin - 'Vital'

12. Set It Off - 'Cinematics'

13. Linkin Park - 'Living Things'

14. Young Guns - 'Bones'

15. Safetysuit - 'These Times'

16. Thousand Foot Krutch - 'The End Is Where We Begin'

17. Cage9 - 'How to Shoot Lasers from Your Eyes'

18. Paper Route - 'The Peace Of Wild Things'

19. The Gaslight Anthem - 'Handwritten'

20. Tremonti - 'All I Was'

21. Fivefold - 'The Story'

22. House of Heroes - 'Cold Hard Want'

23. Awaken - 'Broken Circle'

24. Cavo - 'Thick As Thieves'

25. Yellowcard - 'Southern Air'

Wow, this was tough. I can't really rank these with any conviction. They are all in roughly the correct position, but could easily move up/down by maybe 5 spots at any given time.

Great ideal Koldes, but this going to be fucking difficult to do. Gonna have to spend some time on this.

Maybe when it's finished it could be cool to make a Google Spreadsheet of everybody's votes so you can easily compare quickly? That would also help to tally votes (can be done with formulas).

It won't be a perfect system for sure, but I think it'll be cool to combine the results with MM and see how close they are. Plus, in the end, every single type of tournament or list is going to be SOME form of popularity contest, that's the whole point. So, your sevendusts or alterbridges are going to do well because that's what we like around here, regardless of the style of ranking, I think. More people are going to listen to their albums and rank them, and more people are going to rank them higher, simply because we like those guys. I don't think it'll hurt the rankings too much.

Give me some time and I'll have a list for you.

Great ideal Koldes, but this going to be fucking difficult to do. Gonna have to spend some time on this.

Yeah, definitely going to take a little bit of time for me, too. That's why I figured a week and a half would be a good amount of time to get it done for everybody, while also not extending this thing out too far into the fall or anything like that.

Maybe when it's finished it could be cool to make a Google Spreadsheet of everybody's votes so you can easily compare quickly? That would also help to tally votes (can be done with formulas).

Sounds like a pretty good idea. I was trying to figure out the best way to do it - that might be the best way.

1. Sinch - 'Hive Mind'

2. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - 'The Heist'

3. Nine Lashes - 'World We View'

4. Imagine Dragons - 'Night Visions'

5. Our Lady Peace - 'Curve'

6. Young Guns - 'Bones'

7. Coheed and Cambria - 'The Afterman: Ascension'

8. Anberlin - 'Vital'

9. Paper Route - 'The Peace of Wild Things'

10. Cavo - 'Thick as Thieves'

11. I See Stars - 'Digital_Renegade'

12. Deftones - 'Koi No Yokan'

13. Silent Season - 'Breaking Me Down'

14. Sent By Ravens - 'Mean What You Say'

15. Yellowcard - 'Southern Air'

16. Matchbox Twenty - 'North'

17. Set It Off - 'Cinematics'

18. Hurt - 'The Crux'

19. Safetysuit - 'These Times'

20. Tread - 'Blood In The Dust'

21. Linkin Park - 'Living Things'

22. Poets of the Fall - 'Temple of Thought'

23. The Script - '#3'

24. Evans Blue - 'Graveyard of Empires'

25. Green Day - 'Uno!'

My list should be coming this weekend - anyone else plan on participating? I assume we have 15+ more people who have lists ready from last year.

My list should be coming this weekend - anyone else plan on participating? I assume we have 15+ more people who have lists ready from last year.

I will be for sure. I'll have my list by Sunday, if not sooner.

1. Periphery - "Periphery II: This Time It's Personal"

2. Deftones - "Koi No Yokan"

3. Enter Shikari - "A Flash Flood of Colour"

4. Stone Sour - "House of Gold and Bones Pt. 1"

5. Anberlin - "Vital"

6. Circa Survive - "Violent Waves"

7. Between the Buried and Me - "The Paralax Pt. II: Future Sequences"

8. Coheed and Cambria - "The Afterman: Ascension"

9. Hurt - "The Crux"

10. I See Stars - "Digital Renegade"

11. Imagine Dragons - "Night Visions"

12. Memphis May Fire - "Challenger"

13. Taproot - "The Episodes"

14. Young Guns - "Bones"

15. As I Lay Dying - "Awakened"

16. Sent By Ravens - "Mean What You Say"

17. Tremonti - "All I Was"

18. Thousand Foot Krutch - "The End Is Where We Begin"

19. Janus - "Nox Aeris"

20. Lamb of God - "Resolution"

21. 10 Years - "Minus The Machine"

22. Baroness - "Yellow and Green"

23. Matchbox Twenty - "North"

24. Papa Roach - "The Connection"

25. Nonpoint - "Nonpoint"

Well that was an ordeal...

Why would so many people already have lists?

Because we do the "AOTY List" like three or four times throughout the year - and especially at the end of the year.

Here's the one from this year's six month mark.

http://tlboard.com/topic/18491-aoty-list-through-six-months/

Plus, I didn't technically mean "ready" as in, already completed - I just meant, people who would want to contribute.

I can't do lists, my tastes rely mostly on what mood I'm in. There's big chance that a top 5 album now will not be top 10 tomorrow. I can maybe do a top 5, at the most.

Here is my list so far, but I am actually still working on it. There's a couple albums I want to relisten to and see where they fall into the spectrum. This is a tentative list.

1. Sinch
2. Celldweller
3. Look Right Penny
4. Stone Sour
5. Linkin Park
6. Hurt
7. Tremonti
8. Papa Roach
9. Set It Off
10. Imagine Dragons
11. Call Me No One
12. Muse
13. Twin Atlantic
14. Our Lady Peace
15. Lifehouse
16. Hoobastank
17. Lostprophets
18. Smile Empty Soul
19. Cherri Bomb
20. Cavo
21. Twelve Foot Ninja
22. Otherwise
23. Everclear
24. Nonpoint
25. P.O.D.

I can't do lists, my tastes rely mostly on what mood I'm in. There's big chance that a top 5 album now will not be top 10 tomorrow. I can maybe do a top 5, at the most.

Well, even a top 5 is fine. You'll still get 25 points to the #1 album, 24 to #2, etc etc

Here is my list so far, but I am actually still working on it. There's a couple albums I want to relisten to and see where they fall into the spectrum. This is a tentative list.

No prob. I figure most people can edit theirs until the final bell rings on Sunday (the 14th) night.

Hey Koldes, remind me, when is the deadline for this that you had in mind? I've been wanting to put together my list, but I've honestly been derailed a bit. There are a few albums lingering from last year that I never got around to listening to, and I wanted to give those a fair shot as well. When do you need this by?