Mike

General Music Discussion

3,486 posts in this topic

I didnt realize LIVE is touring now without Ed. Not something I want to see but I dont begrudge them for continuing on. To me they were a band that started off really hot but slowly declined over time. Ed seemed really angry early on but got more calm over the years and the music suffered IMO. Maybe fame just got to him. I know they have a lot of B sides and Ive been looking for them but unfortunately most are in poor quality. I think if they do a new album with the current singer it will be more rockin than the past few albums. Just look at this video here from the late 1990's and see how much passion is in the performance. Thats what happens when you are young and hungry and on top of your game. It cant be duplicated as it was a moment in time.

I didnt realize LIVE is touring now without Ed. Not something I want to see but I dont begrudge them for continuing on. To me they were a band that started off really hot but slowly declined over time. Ed seemed really angry early on but got more calm over the years and the music suffered IMO. Maybe fame just got to him. I know they have a lot of B sides and Ive been looking for them but unfortunately most are in poor quality. I think if they do a new album with the current singer it will be more rockin than the past few albums. Just look at this video here from the late 1990's and see how much passion is in the performance. Thats what happens when you are young and hungry and on top of your game. It cant be duplicated as it was a moment in time.

I saw them on the Summerland tour a week ago, and I definitely enjoyed their set.  The new guys has a really good voice.  It kinda reminds me of the Alice In Chains situation:  he sounds enough like Ed to pull off the old tunes well, but he also has a good enough voice that I'm excited to hear some new music.

Chad Taylor had a quote from late last year that got me excited.

LIVE fans have waited 13 years for a real LIVE album and we're not about to let you down

So yeah Ed took them in a muscial direction they werent happy with and now they are free to do it their way with a singer whos on board.

It's stupid. It's like if, hypothetically speaking, my last name was Reef and my parents named me Coral. It's OK though, I'm sure she'll make it all the way to the top.... and a little to the left.

Nice attempt for a cheap upvote. I know you all too well.

Seriously, they always give me rock and metal artists so I dont know why this teen pop artist popped up.

So I'm directing all discussion of my listening of Porcupine Tree, and Opeth's discographies to this thread.

After some light listening to In Absentia, which I bought, I like it, kind of have a Pink Floyd vibe from it, if that makes any sense. I was expecting metal like Opeth so I was surprised by how nice and melodic it was. First stand out is Wedding Nails. I don't know enough about instrumentation to know how good it was in that song, but I do know how fucking awesome it sounded.

I like Blackest Eyes, .3 and Strip the Soul. I bought the album because I heard Blackest Eyes which was the single. Strip the Soul is my favorite I think. Its funny you said its not that heavy because I believe their albums prior to this one were even less heavy than this. This album was the beginning of their "metal or heavy phase."

Yeah Porcupine Tree is more progressive rock than anything, but because if Steven Wilson's production work with Opeth they have a lot of metal cred. My favorite song on In Absentia is "Gravity Eyelids". Such a dark sinister yet beautiful song. It also happens to be my favorite song of all-time.

It has a very... artistic, beautiful-ness

Also known as beauty. :P

But yes, I really do think that's exactly how I would describe it. It's beautiful and nostalgic, but as soon as you learn that it's a concept album about a serial killer, its more sinister undertones come into play and give the listening experience a whole new layer of intrigue.

but as soon as you learn that it's a concept album about a serial killer, its more sinister undertones come into play and give the listening experience a whole new layer of intrigue.

Well, yes, that did do the trick.

Also, God bless Amazon. The CD was actually cheaper than the MP3, which was tempting since I prefer owning the CD anyway, but I would have to wait for it to get here, but then, I see it has AutoRip, so I bought the CD and got an instant MP3 copy in my Cloud Player. Granted, shipping bumped the price back up to what I would've payed for the MP3 anyway, but it's still nice.