Mike

General Music Discussion

3,484 posts in this topic

So I'm cleaning out my library big time and I swear to God I've heard at least three bands today have songs that use bits of Mario Savio's "bodies upon the gears" speech, and that's not counting Linkin Park's. Rock bands must really love that speech.

Can you name some stuff you deleted/got rid of ? Remember flyfreaks old ipod cleaning threads ? Those were fun.

Can you name some stuff you deleted/got rid of ? Remember flyfreaks old ipod cleaning threads ? Those were fun.

Uh, well, it's rather a lot. Honestly, it's been a bit of a blur. Since I have Spotify, there's a ton of bands I realized I only like hearing once in a while so I decided it wasn't worth it to keep them on my computer. Trail Of Dead, Blur. Some bands I originally had their whole discography but decided to cut back to their most mainstream material. Some bands I just am not really sure how much I dig, so I decided to delete their stuff for now until I decide. Sepultura was one of those. Anthrax I realized I don't dig their early albums so I cut that back to the Bush era and their last one. Ozzy cut back to his last three albums.

Blur would definitely be on the chopping block if I ever did a library cleaning. I could fit the amount of songs I really like from them onto 1 cd. Bush era Anthrax is the only Anthrax I have. Not a fan of the other guy's voice.

What you just said is absolutely correct which kinda makes it puzzling why the Bush era wasnt too successful. I dont know if you have the album they did with Bush where they re-recorded a bunch of old songs but if you dont you need to get it.

What you just said is absolutely correct which kinda makes it puzzling why the Bush era wasnt too successful.

Well, Sound Of White Noise was Anthrax's most successful album. From there it's just a matter of being on bad labels, I think. That and fan expectations.

10 Year anniversary of my favorite post-hardcore album ever. Released July 2003. Weird because it doesnt get recognized as their best album, probably because it was a major label release and they were an underground band. I bought this at Circuit City back in '03, I think the record label should have known a band like this wasnt going to become huge but looks like they didnt. I think the reason this is their best one because they got a big budget to work with being on Atlantic and it sounds fantastic much better than their first 2 albums. The 2 albums they did after this one are good but this was their pinnacle.

poisonthewell.jpeg

It did ooccur to me that they could be called a metalcore band but to me they only had some metal trappings and post-hardcore is more appropriate than metalcore though you can make a case for either one I guess.

Putting dubstep/electronic elements into active rock/hard rock is a dumb idea and its not going to save the genre. In This Moment is a band having some success doing it but its not going to work in the long run. Korn went too far with it and we saw the results.

Putting dubstep/electronic elements into active rock/hard rock is a dumb idea and its not going to save the genre. In This Moment is a band having some success doing it but its not going to work in the long run. Korn went too far with it and we saw the results.

I don't think it needs to be saved. Rock festivals this year are making record ticket sales including ROTR. People still like it, it's just the mainstream media that is still refusing to play and/or show the material or talk about the bands. They are also being paid a bajillion dollars by the record companies to say good things about their latest pop stars too. I think the use of electronic elements in rock has been great. They have been used for awhile now, dubstepping a whole song is kind of weird for me though like a lot of the Korn songs on their last album, but a tiny bit in a breakdown once in awhile is okay. I think Korn has realized this and now with Head back in their lineup they are going to make more of a "Korn" sounding album next, which I heard could be coming out this year maybe? I'm hoping Head keeps Love and Death alive because I like them as well.

Also, what's up with all these bands with the name Summer in their names, not that I don't like them. Digital Summer, Black Summer, Dangerous Summer, 40 Below Summer, any others that I missed?

Today is the 10 year anniversary of St. Anger. Yes I did buy it on release day despite having heard a few songs beforehand and not liking them. Thats how my mind operated back then. Theres a few songs that are ok but its not a good album. Bad vocals, bad lyrics, long and repetitive songs and no solos. Even the cover art/packaging sucks.

I hapoened to be in Target when they started putting them out for sale. It was supposed to go on sale on a Tuesday but they released it on a Friday I think out of nowhere because the album had leaked. I bought it and actually liked it.

The songs I heard from it were part of some sort of radio special for the album that aired before it was released. I didnt know when it leaked. I had dial up back then and I didnt even bother with downloading. I never had Napster either. I guess people with dial up did use Napster but that never occured to me to do so.

when I had dial up I used Kazaa. It was mostly for singles, I didn't even know you could get full albums, even if I did know I wouldn't get them because it would take forever to finish.

I remember when I did find out about full albums being in RAR files I had to limit myself to about 70MBs per album because my dialup would automatically disconnect every 4 hours of use, and it would take about 4 hours for 70 MBs. I remember waking to check if the album finished downloading and being so pissed because it stopped at 97%. Damn you PeoplePC!