Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kyle1020

Game of Thrones

880 posts in this topic

Pretty generic teaser, but the interesting takeaway is that Daenerys is sitting at the throne in Dragonstone. Could mean nothing but to signify her house, but some people wonder if it's confirmation that she makes it across the sea. Time will tell...

“You’re the military man, but I know her. If you’re her enemy, she’ll never stop until she’s destroyed you. Everyone who’s ever crossed her she’s found a way to murder.”

“You almost sound as if you admire her."

“I learned a great deal from her."

That and check out the hair. We may have another Cersei on our hands.

596cd5c21a00003300dbf1ec.jpeg

The first episode was kinda slow. Season premieres tend to be on this show as it's a refresher of sorts and we also see where everyone is headed. This week things started moving forward nicely with a really solid episode. Good character stuff, story moved along nicely and some kick-ass action at the end. And like I've said before, each action scene featuring characters we care about is very tense because death is to be taken seriously on this show.

Sansa is  getting on my nerves. In episode 1 she's against supporting the innocent relatives of people who betrayed her family and yet she forgives Theon for what he did. And she questions Jon at every moment but of course when he puts her in charge she finally keeps her big mouth shut.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Sansa is  getting on my nerves. In episode 1 she's against supporting the innocent relatives of people who betrayed her family and yet she forgives Theon for what he did. And she questions Jon at every moment but of course when he puts her in charge she finally keeps her big mouth shut.

To be fair, Sansa has made good points even if they've been at inopportune moments.

I think you forget that Sansa did not forgive Theon at first and outright said to Theon that she didn't care if Ramsay abused him. She started trying to trust him out of necessity and Theon ratted her out. It wasn't until Theon woke up and helped free her from Ramsay that she started coming to terms with forgiving him. Also, Theon confessing that Bran and Rickon weren't dead probably helped.

The relatives of the houses that betrayed the Starks for the Boltons haven't proven themselves allies yet. Therefore she currently has every right to distrust them, and to be fair, she wasn't calling for them to be killed or massacred, just for their ancestral homes to be turned over to loyal families. Jon does however have a good point in that the relatives that were innocent shouldn't suffer for the sins of their elders.

It kind of illustrates the differences between Jon and Sansa. Jon during his time in the Night Watch dealing with the White Walkers had to learn the importance of banding together for a common cause. Sansa on the other hand has had experiences that have put her in a position where she has to be wary and distrustful of people who may have ulterior motives. She's less forgiving because that's where her experiences have led her.

The only fault I think is that Sansa has been debating with Jon fairly openly, which is not a good look if they want to remain strong in the eyes of their allies. But I also think it's being done partially out of concern, because of everything that's happened to their family. She doesn't want Jon to suffer the same fate as Ned or Robb. And I also think she's wanting to have her voice heard as an authority figure after spending so much of her life being made to be submissive.

Anyway, I feel like since Jon put her in charge while he's gone, that's a sign enough of respect and acknowledgement that she's satisfied because it means Jon trusts her. We'll see if Littlefinger fucks it up though.

23 hours ago, pen said:

We'll see if Littlefinger fucks it up though.

I'm curious what his endgame is. Petyr and Varys have been have playing this game from the shadows since the beginning and while I feel like Varys has the best interest of Westeros at heart (as made even more clear during his conversation with Daenerys), I don't feel that way at all about Littlefinger. While I do believe he is attracted to the Stark women, I think he is more concerned with associating with the right people to gain power than to help Sansa.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I'm curious what his endgame is. Petyr and Varys have been have playing this game from the shadows since the beginning and while I feel like Varys has the best interest of Westeros at heart (as made even more clear during his conversation with Daenerys), I don't feel that way at all about Littlefinger. While I do believe he is attracted to the Stark women, I think he is more concerned with associating with the right people to gain power than to help Sansa.

I've had this conversation with people bunches the last couple weeks and I agree that the difference between Varys and Littlefinger is that Varys has good intentions at heart (even though Daenerys accurately pointed out the flaws in his approach last episode) while Littlefinger is absolutely only out for himself, and that's what will get him killed.

I'm curious if when Arya finally gets to Winterfell if she'll have anything to "say" to Littlefinger. Is he on her list?

Another brilliant episode. Dany and Jon's meeting lived up to the hype. When this show is clicking on all cylinders, it is the best show on television. Sad to see that old lady die. She was one of my favorites. She was a straight-shooter, very funny and I feel like she was also a good person. And she also found one way to stick it to Cersei at the end which was great.

The only good part of going from 10 episodes to 7 seems to be the pace of the show. It is moving so much faster than it usually does. I love it. 

Holy shit. Wow. Remember two seasons ago when there was that big epic fight that went on for like 45 minutes? It built up out of nowhere and was this awesome action scene that ended with the staredown between Jon and the Night King. That has so far been my favorite moment in the entire series. While not quite as good in my opinion, this episode ended with something that reminded me of it. It came out of the blue and got bigger and more awesome as it went on. Seeing all this epic action, so many major players in one scene together, the fucking dragon, my god it was awesome. I kinda wasn't expecting much from this episode cause I knew it was going to be the shortest episode in the shows history so for that reason I didn't think it was going to be that eventful. Boy was I wrong.

As for the episode lengths...this week was 50 minutes and now they get ten minutes longer each week, concluding with a one hour and 21 minute finale that will be the longest episode in the shows history.

Dragons!

I didn't notice how short the episode was because of how much stuff happened in it. It was amazing. Because of the faster pace I think this season will easily become my favorite yet. 

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Why was the stuff with Sansa and Arya so awkward?

Because they've never liked each other. When they were talking about Arya's list I was trying to think back if Arya has ever put her in the list haha. What a depressing reunion, Bran has become such a dick. 

22 minutes ago, Omar said:

Because they've never liked each other. When they were talking about Arya's list I was trying to think back if Arya has ever put her in the list haha. What a depressing reunion, Bran has become such a dick. 

Actually I'd think if your sister came back and you found out she's become an assassin with a kill list while she was gone, you'd find it a little awkward too. 

10 minutes ago, pen said:

Actually I'd think if your sister came back and you found out she's become an assassin with a kill list while she was gone, you'd find it a little awkward too. 

Well in her defense, horrible people have done horrible things to their family and a list of people to kill doesn't seem that outrageous.

35 minutes ago, Omar said:

1. Because they've never liked each other

2. Bran has become such a dick. 

1. I forgot about that. Even though I started watching this show a few years after it was already on the air, season 1 still seems like it happened 10 years ago. 

2. Seriously. Whenever he says "I'm the three-eyed raven" I cringe. He might as well be saying "I'm the Batman" or something. It sounds so goofy. And yeah, I haven't been into his character at all this season...or for the whole series to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Well in her defense, horrible people have done horrible things to their family and a list of people to kill doesn't seem that outrageous.

They haven't seen each other since Season 1. It's a shock to how far they've come and different they are from when they've started. Try to get inside the character's head and forget what we've already known as the audience.

Spoiler

Were they implying at the very end that Jamie's suit was so heavy that he was sinking to the bottom?

Man, even if he gets up and out of the water, he'll be face to face with the dragon. He is basically in a lose-lose situation.

I really liked liked the "Flee, you idiot" from Tyrion. Thought that was a nice touch. After everything, he still senses that his brother is worth salvaging, or at least not wishing death upon.

I agree 100% with Mike that I thought it was so cool how that big huge fight, drama and acceleration of the story coming out of no where was awesome. I wasn't expecting that at all. A few minutes later, everyone's dead and it's Jamie vs Dany + dragon. So cool.

1 hour ago, Koldes said:
  Hide contents

Were they implying at the very end that Jamie's suit was so heavy that he was sinking to the bottom?

Man, even if he gets up and out of the water, he'll be face to face with the dragon. He is basically in a lose-lose situation.

I really liked liked the "Flee, you idiot" from Tyrion. Thought that was a nice touch. After everything, he still senses that his brother is worth salvaging, or at least not wishing death upon.

I agree 100% with Mike that I thought it was so cool how that big huge fight, drama and acceleration of the story coming out of no where was awesome. I wasn't expecting that at all. A few minutes later, everyone's dead and it's Jamie vs Dany + dragon. So cool.

Yes, he was sinking. I'm betting he's going to end up being a prisoner.

3 minutes ago, pen said:

I'm betting he's going to end up being a prisoner.

Oooooooh I like that. I didn't think of that. That could make for some very interesting TV. I don't think he'll die anytime soon, though. He's way too much of a major character to die this early. He has to live long enough for Cersei to get him killed.