Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kyle1020

Game of Thrones

893 posts in this topic

Is anyone watching the current season or just catching up and wanting to discuss as you do so? Let's have a discussion!

I should say that I have not read the books, so if you have, please take care not to accidentally spoil any upcoming events. Almost all of my friends who watch the show have read the books, so they sometimes have discussions that spoil things inadvertently. Be careful what you say!

Should be a great season. Too bad they didn't take off Tyrion's nose (although Cersei jests). In the books, he now has no nose (has two different colored eyes) and actually resembles an imp. I really can't wait for Jaime and Brienne's story (as it is my favorite story line).

*SPOILERS as always*

I wish we had seen Jaime and Brienne in the premiere. Despite being a Lannister and obviously doing some pretty sick things, Jaime is alright, and according to all my book-reading friends, he gets even better as the series goes on.

Too bad we had to end with Dany this episode. Bleh. She annoys me though seeing Sir Barristan return was cool since he seems to be one of the more level headed and decent men.

To be able to fit everything from the books into the series they are going to have to split them up (as they will starting with season 4 I believe). Dany is my least favorite story line (I'll leave it at that). I'm excited about Mance and his crew, as he is also one of my favorite characters.

I wonder if they will be incorporating sections of A Feast for Crows since, if my understanding is correct, it occurs more or less simultaneously as A Storm of Swords. Otherwise, some story-lines would be put on hold for another season and a half since this season is supposed to only be half of A Storm of Swords. I am excited to see more of the Wildlings (and those mysterious, freaky White Walkers) as well especially since Mance is played by Ciaran Hinds whom I loved as Julius Caesar in HBO's Rome. 

I wonder if they will be incorporating sections of A Feast for Crows since, if my understanding is correct, it occurs more or less simultaneously as A Storm of Swords. Otherwise, some story-lines would be put on hold for another season and a half since this season is supposed to only be half of A Storm of Swords. I am excited to see more of the Wildlings (and those mysterious, freaky White Walkers) as well especially since Mance is played by Ciaran Hinds whom I loved as Julius Caesar in HBO's Rome. 

I wonder that as well. Guess we'll see. And yeah, he was amazing in Rome (and Some of All Fears and Munich)... he is just an amazing dude.

Just finished season 1. Really awesome season. It's not one of my favorite shows ever, but it's still damn good and one of the best shows on TV. I'm absolutely shocked Ned died. When they had the sword up to his head my heart was racing cause I actually thought they this show might have the balls to kill off its main character and my jaw still dropped when they did it. I can wait till that little shit "king" gets a sword in his throat. I gotta admit though that I'm a little worried that Ned is gone. Sure he could come back with magic or whatever but if he's really gone I think it will hurt the show. There is a very good supporting cast, but I don't think it's good enough to where the quality won't dip just a little bit without Ned's awesome character on the show. The ending with the dragons was really cool and I look forward to seeing where all these stories go in season 2.

I haven't read any posts above mine and won't read any other posts in this thread until I get all caught up but feel free to reply to me and I'll get back to you when I catch up on the show and finally read all the posts.

Just finished season 1. Really awesome season. It's not one of my favorite shows ever, but it's still damn good and one of the best shows on TV. I'm absolutely shocked Ned died. When they had the sword up to his head my heart was racing cause I actually thought they this show might have the balls to kill off its main character and my jaw still dropped when they did it. I can wait till that little shit "king" gets a sword in his throat. I gotta admit though that I'm a little worried that Ned is gone. Sure he could come back with magic or whatever but if he's really gone I think it will hurt the show. There is a very good supporting cast, but I don't think it's good enough to where the quality won't dip just a little bit without Ned's awesome character on the show. The ending with the dragons was really cool and I look forward to seeing where all these stories go in season 2.

I haven't read any posts above mine and won't read any other posts in this thread until I get all caught up but feel free to reply to me and I'll get back to you when I catch up on the show and finally read all the posts.

Ned's death is shocking, but it really does help drive the plot in so many ways and solidify the tone and style of the story. The rest of the cast steps in well to fill the favorite character void left by Ned's death though my book reading friends assure me that no one is safe from death which has me worried now for the current season. The dragons are really cool even in just the one brief shot at the end of the first season, and they are always exciting in the second one. Unfortunately, they come attached to Dany. Bleh. 

Glad you're enjoying the show, Mike. It's one of my favorite shows on TV right now though I don't really watch many dramas, so I don't have too many contemporary comparisons to make. 

Just finished season 2. Pretty awesome finale that gets me really excited to see where things are headed in the third season. The special effects are spectacular. The fire lady's baby looked awesome coming out of her. It looked sort of like a Venom symbiote and then when it killed the gay king it looked kind of like the smoke monster. The dragons looked great as well and the White Walkers looked awesome at the end of the finale. I love how they're slowly introducing more and more supernatural elements into the show and it feels like these wars with regular people will be meaningless once the shit really hits the fan when all this magical stuff starts invading their world. I'm expecting something like all the White Walkers will kill everyone at the Knights Watch (except Jon) and get beyond the wall at the end of a future season and Jon will be racing back trying to warn everyone.

The other stuff is getting good too. Tyrion continues to be my favorite character on the show (now that Ned is gone) and steals every single scene he is in. Gonna be interesting to see where things head with him and his sister in season 3. I'm glad Robb married that girl and it's gonna be fun seeing the repercussions of that seeing as how he didn't marry into the family he was arranged to be married to. Arya is one of my favorite characters on the show and I'm curious how things will play out with her and that guy who can change his appearance. Looking forward to other stuff as well like the future for the old Kings brother and that creepy lady with the monster baby thingy, looking forward to see Theon getting his head chopped off, the little crippled kid heading to the Knights Watch and all the other spectacular stuff they have in store for us. And I'm especially dying to see that little shit kid get what's coming to him.

Overall, I think I enjoyed the first season a little bit more. Ned's presence is still missed and I think that's part of the reason why I liked season 1 a little more. But the cast is tremendous and the show hasn't lost a step without Ned. I think there wasn't a lot to do for most of the characters. Jon didn't really have an interesting season until the very end. I like the stuff with Robb and the girl but the stuff involving him and his mother and him talking about battle stuff was sort of boring. And I wish Cersei had a bigger role in season 2. Oh and I loved the part where the dragons used the fire and killed that magic guy. Great scene that was. Overall though it was another great season and once I catch up on the first few episodes of season 3 I'll post back in here and can finally join in on the discussion.

I love how they're slowly introducing more and more supernatural elements into the show and it feels like these wars with regular people will be meaningless once the shit really hits the fan when all this magical stuff starts invading their world.

Spoken like true North man. I agree. All the throne and king squabbling will be pointless once winter arrives. Really, they all ought to be making extensive efforts to get Dany's dragons to Westeros as quickly as possible so that they can actually defeat the White Walkers. And of course, everybody in the Seven Kingdoms should be strapping up for the Wildlings' inevitable invasion. Glad you're catching up, Mike! 

Watched the first two episodes of season 3 today and will be all caught up by tomorrow. Terrific season so far. This series is still firmly in its prime. I'm really curious what Joffrey's new wife is up to. She has some hidden agenda we don't know about yet. Weird she's using Sansa's information to get closer to the king and isn't really afraid of him. And I've been wondering this for a while...do you guys think Joffrey is gay? He seemed awfully interested in info about the gay king. I'm thinking there's three possibilities right now...he is nervous around girls, he gets turned on by pain or he is gay. Honestly right now I'm leaning towards the second one (especially considering what he did to those two girls that his uncle gave him).

So I never thought I would say it, but I kind of feel bad for both Jamie and Theon. Speaking of Theon, I wonder how far they are going to stretch the "he is captured, and his captors really want to get in his head" story-line. I really want to know where he is and who has him. 

I like seeing Margaery square off against Cersei, and her grandmother is an interesting character as well. House Tyrell is becoming a pretty cool house, giving those Lannisters a challenge it seems and perhaps even helping out poor, useless Sansa. I do wish we had seen more of Robb and Jon this episode, especially Jon since I am fascinated how he is going to play this whole spy in the wildling camp bit. I am glad Craster got what was coming to him, but I was sad to see Commander Mormont go as well. I can't help but feel that everyone's priorities are still sorely misplaced. Dany's got an army, cool for her I guess. But she should march that bad-ass army and her dragons to the Wall along with everyone else since more and more it seems like none of the throne squabbling is going to matter once first the wildlings and then winter both arrive. 

I loved the ending with Dany. I never really thought she was gonna give up one of her dragons, but I was still very upset that she might. Then when I saw the dragon resisting, I knew she wasn't gonna give it up. That scene ended up being so much more than I thought. I figured she would've had the dragon burn the slave owner alive and take her soldiers and that would've been it but it ended up being so much more. She revealed that she knew that guys language which I thought was cool and sort of put a different perspective on their past discussions, I loved how she freed the slaves and they joined her voluntarily, it was cool how she had them kill all the slave boss people while sparing the children and then tossing the meaningless slave owner thing on the ground while marching away with her army with dragons flying above was a great way to end the episode. After her stuff dragging along the last season or so, it finally seems to be moving forward at a nice pace.

The rest of the episode was good too and I also was sad to see the leader of the Knights Watch die. I don't understand why that guy said he was gonna eventually kill the fat kid. He has no reason to want him dead. And am I missing something or did these new rebel Knights Watch people just literally show up during this episode? I don't recall seeing them before. Margaery is a very interesting character and I'm really curious what she's up to. She seems genuinely nice and down to Earth but I'm not entirely sure. Either way, the stuff with her and that little bitch king has been fun to see. And her grandmother is fantastic. This old lady is great. And I also wish we saw what Jon was up to. It seems like this show is too big for its own good. We see people one week, they take a week off and then they're back the following episode. So it's like every other episode we get to see what these people are up to.

*Night's Watch

lol it never occurred to me that people who haven't read it might assume it's Knight instead of Night

I've started to rematch it from the start again as there are so many characters and different subplots. I think this has really helped me with season 3.

I have been watching season two concurrently with season 3 just to remind me what all happened and who everyone is. It is easy to lose track of things.

Another great episode and the best ratings of the series so far. I'm glad to see people are starting to get into this, it craps all over The Walking Dead which still suffers from stupid people doing stupid things syndrome.

Jaime is a much more sympathetic character than he was in Season 1. Stannis also almost became more tolerable this episode given how crazy his wife seems, but then he was his usual Stannis-y self to his poor little daughter. I hope Davos gets out of prison soon since he is one of the few non-Starks whom I really like. 

Anybody else starting to think that maybe its time to hop on the Lord of Light bandwagon? He apparently lets you come back from the dead and not as a wight as the White Walkers tend to reanimate the dead. I am starting to think that the Fire in A Song of Ice and Fire refers to the Lord of Light instead of the Dany's dragons. Or perhaps all things light and fire should just band together for when winter comes since winter is the real enemy I feel. Great episode. Lot's going on with many twists and turns. 

I'm pissed they didn't show the conversation where Tyrion explains the marriage situation with his girlfriend there. That would've been hilarious seeing her facial expressions while still trying to hide the fact that they're dating.

Anybody else starting to think that maybe its time to hop on the Lord of Light bandwagon?

I think either all of the gods are real or none of them are. In the latter case, I think magic may exist and people attribute it to gods.

I'm pissed they didn't show the conversation where Tyrion explains the marriage situation with his girlfriend there. That would've been hilarious seeing her facial expressions while still trying to hide the fact that they're dating.

Yeah that transition was kind of abrupt. Once the third season is all done, I am going to read the book, so maybe that will fill in some of the gaps. 

This episode kind of had the feel of filler or set-up episode for something bigger as far as the action was concerned, but even so, a fair number of things happened for character interaction. I am still thinking Lord of Light may be the way to go, but his followers kind of creep me out, mostly Melisandre. I am still not sure what to make of her. Also, I think I may have figured out who has Theon though the why is what still doesn't make sense.