EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,618 posts in this topic

One of the first things I did when I got my phone was I turned off iCloud for photos. I don't want any of my pictures uploaded there. I'll upload my stuff to the nice, safe, private Google Drive thank you very much. Well I went on iCloud on my computer to sync my contacts and all my pictures are on there even though the iCloud Photo Library setting is turned off in the Photos settings. What gives?

I know I'm a week late on posting this but......why is Samsung making such a big deal about the camera on the S9? Also, why does every phone maker make a big deal about their cameras? Every phone camera is good. Most people aren't even going to notice the difference when a new phone does some miniscule thing to make the camera better.

Who knows anything about external HDs? What's a good brand to get or to avoid? Mine are filling up and I need to move stuff off my internal drive, and I'd also like to have a backup, so I'm likely buying two of them.

Why doesn't autocorrect work on iPhone? I've tried the default keyboard, SwiftKey and Gboard and none of them autocorrect like they used to on Android. I'll type "thjnk" and normally when you hit spacebar it would autocorrect to "thank" but it doesn't do that. It'll say "thank" above the keyboard and I'll have to click it myself to get it on there.

I want to post this quick before my screen dies and it takes me an hour to type this all on my phone...

I got a new computer a few years ago when Windows 10 came out but I stuck with my old monitor. HD screen, no issues, no need to change. Just now I go on the computer and the screen is kinda messed up. It's tough to describe the issue, it looks kinda like you're watching TV from back in the day and the reception isn't that good. The screen is kinda moving. A few minutes ago when I discovered the problem it was just on the top left of the screen, now it's all over and looks like it's getting a little worse. I haven't moved the monitor or unplugged it at all and I just checked to make sure the wires are in. I don't have another desktop to test it on but I'm assuming it's the monitor and not something with the actual computer. Any way to test it or do I just assume it's the monitor and buy a new one?

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I want to post this quick before my screen dies and it takes me an hour to type this all on my phone...

I got a new computer a few years ago when Windows 10 came out but I stuck with my old monitor. HD screen, no issues, no need to change. Just now I go on the computer and the screen is kinda messed up. It's tough to describe the issue, it looks kinda like you're watching TV from back in the day and the reception isn't that good. The screen is kinda moving. A few minutes ago when I discovered the problem it was just on the top left of the screen, now it's all over and looks like it's getting a little worse. I haven't moved the monitor or unplugged it at all and I just checked to make sure the wires are in. I don't have another desktop to test it on but I'm assuming it's the monitor and not something with the actual computer. Any way to test it or do I just assume it's the monitor and buy a new one?

I'm no expert but it sounds like it could be the monitor, or the cable, or the GPU in the computer. Could you plug your computer into a TV and see if it still looks like that? 

I did a computer test and some logo was supposed to blend into the background I think and it didn't blend in at all. This was the "gamma" test. I don't know what to to with this information, maybe my screen is turning into the incredible Hulk.

23 minutes ago, Ruiner II said:

I'm no expert but it sounds like it could be the monitor, or the cable, or the GPU in the computer. Could you plug your computer into a TV and see if it still looks like that? 

Hooking the actual computer up or do you mean the monitor?

So I plugged the monitor into my moms laptop and the screen worked fine. This immediately gave me a sense of dread thinking the issue was something inside the actual computer. Then I plugged the monitor back in the computer and the screen is working fine now as well so I don't know what the hell is going on.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

So I plugged the monitor into my moms laptop and the screen worked fine. This immediately gave me a sense of dread thinking the issue was something inside the actual computer. Then I plugged the monitor back in the computer and the screen is working fine now as well so I don't know what the hell is going on.

Again, not an expert, but from that I'd guess that maybe the graphics card in the computer is loose or something is otherwise amiss with that. Probably wouldn't call for a new computer, but there isn't really much else you could do about that without an expert looking at it (or walking you through it). 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

It was probably that the cable was loose, which you fixed by re-plugging it. Sounds like a bad cable or loose cable. 

57 minutes ago, Vigo said:

It was probably that the cable was loose, which you fixed by re-plugging it. Sounds like a bad cable or loose cable. 

It is likely this. If a display cable doesn't have a proper connection it will exhibit symptoms like you just described.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It's weird how it could even get loose because it has those two screwy things to lock it in. Whatever. Just glad all is well.

Is it a DVI cable? (DVI is white; VGA is blue.) I have DVI cables go bad at work all the time because they can be made so cheaply. It's usually actually a piece just inside the white encasement where the cable or metal tips are actually loose there. 

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

Is it a DVI cable? (DVI is white; VGA is blue.) I have DVI cables go bad at work all the time because they can be made so cheaply. It's usually actually a piece just inside the white encasement where the cable or metal tips are actually loose there. 

It's a blue plug. Kinda weird it came loose as I've had that monitor for around ten years now and that has never happened before. 

It's an HD monitor and you're using a VGA cable? If you get a DVI or HDMI cable, you're in for a treat.

I decided only a few short months after paying off my phone that my phone was a piece of shit that died in like two hours and was constantly slow and crashing, and it was time for a new one. 

So I did what I never do and got a new high-end phone, the LG V30. Lots of little things I didn't know phones did these days, like fingerprint scanners and the way they automatically fill out verification codes. The main reason I splurged on getting this instead of the slightly older G6 for less is that apparently this kicks ass in the audio department--speakers, headphone jack, recording. I've only really tested out the speaker, and, well, it sounds like a cell phone speaker, only pretty nice by those standards. 

Still a nice phone though. Everything is super fast and slick, cool features, cool design. Probably the nicest I've ever had. 

So my mom has been wanting to get rid of cable for a while now for various reasons so I told her about Sling TV and how its the closest thing to cable tv that you can get. Its kinda hard to explain to an older person how it works because its not exactly like cable tv they are so used to. I was fooling around with it and trying to figure it out and it seems the main issue is going from channel to channel is a tad more intricate than on cable where you just click up or down on the remote and type the channel number in. On this it seems you can change channels on the guide screen only. The stream looked pretty clear to me and I only noticed some small buffering issues. They have 3 packages available and they arent as expensive as cable and you can add more channel packs if you want. I personally wouldnt want it cuz I dont watch much cable but it seems like a good deal for an old person whos attached to cable but doesnt want to pay for it anymore. Trying to explain to them how it works sucks tho cuz they arent used to it. Also explaining why so and so channel isnt included in the package and why it costs extra is annoying as well.

I did the free trial for sling. Hated it. Unless you are watching local channels (which you can get with an antenna) it buffers like hell. Sports are damn near unwatchable. 

I've had my dad using Playstation Vue for a while (I also used it for a spell a couple years ago) and no complaints, but if she has a hard time with Sling you'll reaaaally have to hold her hand through setting that up. 

43 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Its kinda hard to explain to an older person how it works

My parents are the same way and I really don't understand why. When I was a kid we didn't have smartphones and computers and we learned how to use them. I don't understand why older people have a tougher time learning this stuff. It's not like we had years of experience before them. I've been using a computer and smartphone as long as my parents have for the most part.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

My parents are the same way and I really don't understand why. When I was a kid we didn't have smartphones and computers and we learned how to use them. I don't understand why older people have a tougher time learning this stuff. It's not like we had years of experience before them. I've been using a computer and smartphone as long as my parents have for the most part.

I'd say their brains are just used to doing things differently. My dad never dealt with computers and thinks very mechanical I guess you could say. He still types with one finger and can use youtube. My mom has dealt with computers for a long time so she picks up on things quickly. I met an old lady who was probably in her 80s who could was using an excel sheet like a pro, but sucked at the actual computer stuff. She was an accountant her whole life so that's why she was so good at that. While we had to learn to use these phones later in life, our brains were already aware of technology and how to work it. 

Apple unveiled iOS 12 today. Tons of exciting stuff on the way. Such as...

Spoiler

- Apps launch 40% faster, keyboard can appear 50% faster (everything is incredibly fast as is, can't believe it's going to get quicker)

- CPU performance can ramp up instantly when needed and ramp down to preserve battery

- Third-party apps (like Google Maps) coming to CarPlay

- A feature to track how long you use your phone and how long you use each app (I'm really into tracking how long I use stuff and it'll be cool to see how long I'm using what and exactly how long I spend on my phone. I think Android is working on this feature as well.)

- Group notifications

- Group FaceTime

- iOS 12 is coming to iPhones going back as far as the 5s (meanwhile two-year-old Android phones don't even have Oreo)

I love my iPhone X but there are just three things I don't like. The photos app is my biggest complaint. I've mentioned this before. They force you to use their custom folders for your pics. You basically have no real control over how to sort things. Unfortunately this new update is adding more features to the photos app so it looks like things are getting worse for me. I also wish there was an easy way to edit phones. There are a million pointless filters but there's no way to add a png to a pic or to combine two pictures into one. It was so quick and easy to edit pics on my Galaxy S7. And the final thing I don't like on iPhone and want fixed is a recent app redesign. Recent apps are supposed to be a quick way to access your most used apps. Instead it has every single app open and you're swiping through all of your apps that take up over half the screen. It's like flipping through a big book to find chapter 15. It's quicker just to go home and open the app you want from there. I remember many years ago on an old Android phone the recent apps would bring up a 3x3 grid of your nine most recent apps. That was the last time a recent apps feature on a phone was of any use to me.

This looks really good. I don't imagine I'll be signing up for a year but I definitely plan to try it out for a month or two. Unfortunately, in a really weird decision, it won't support the PS4 and XB1 at launch so I'll just wait to sign up. You figure support for 120+ million people who own PS4 and XB1 would've been more of a priority for them. The comic stuff could be fine on an iPad or phone but I'll wait till I can use this for my TV.