EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,553 posts in this topic

$1149 for the 256 GB. 

I was pretty impressed with the X for the most part. The glitch with Face ID at first is pretty embarrassing so I wonder if it works that great. It's not as intuitive as a thumb press. I don't mind the swipe gestures and such though. That bottom bar clears up space for the keyboard for the emojis button and voice button so that is a cool use and could be expanded in other ways with apps I'm sure. Wireless charging... it's about time Apple.

I'm likely going to keep my 6s just due to the price and availability of the X is going to be an ongoing issue I'm sure. Only thing is I might be dumping at&t after my contract ends in November so if I switch to Verizon I might have to upgrade anyways so I'd debate the X if it was available then. 

So we are getting close to the big day, anyone gonna pull the trigger?

I'm definitely in but can't decide on space or even the damn color haha.

4 hours ago, Omar said:

So we are getting close to the big day, anyone gonna pull the trigger?

I'm definitely in but can't decide on space or even the damn color haha.

I want to, but fixing to switch over to Verizon and my contract expires on 11/11, so I'm about two weeks short of being able to pre-order lol. I figure it's a sign. If I were going to, I'd go all in on the 256gb black version myself just to future proof for space needs (gotta imagine shooting a lot of 4K video and VR apps, etc. may take up a lot more room in the future plus I'd probably not upgrade again for MANY years). I think maybe it's best I don't blow my money right now, though, and just stick w/ my ol' 6s for another year and see if maybe there's not some first gen kinks to work out w/ some of the tech stuff w/ the X. 

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I want to, but fixing to switch over to Verizon and my contract expires on 11/11, so I'm about a week short of being able to pre-order lol. I figure it's a sign. If I were going to, I'd go all in on the 256gb black version myself just to future proof for space needs (gotta imagine shooting a lot of 4K video and VR apps, etc. may take up a lot more room in the future plus I'd probably not upgrade again for MANY years). I think maybe it's best I don't blow my money right now, though, and just stick w/ my ol' 6s for another year and see if maybe there's not some first gen kinks to work out w/ some of the tech stuff w/ the X. 

The new iOS has made m6 IPhone 6 almost unusable. I figure that’s by design, it’s so freakin slow right now.

Just now, Omar said:

The new iOS has made m6 IPhone 6 almost unusable. I figure that’s by design, it’s so freakin slow right now.

iOS 11 has been a bit glitchy in general for me as well, but I figure I still have 3D touch, so I'm not missing a ton of features in the last few years' of upgrades. I can see upgrading from a 6, though. I'm hoping the glitchy stuff is fixed in 11.1, plus they're bringing back a missing feature (3D touch for multitask) so that makes me happy. I do love the gestures of the X, though, with the swiping. Reminds me of how I used to have my jailbroken phones setup back in the day.

Got my Space Grey 256GB iPhone X preorder in last night. I feel like a dummy paying so much for a phone but considering how much I use it it probably will still give me the best bang for my buck.

19 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Ummm iphones are definitely not "best bang for your buck" type of phones, no way, but if youre happy with it thats all that matters.

Well name something else that does more for you than what your phone does? Does that mean I have to get a $1000 phone? Of course not. But in general a smartphone gives you the most use vs what you spent on it than pretty much anything else.

Oh snap! You went all in eh Omar. I don't know anyone else that pre-ordered. Looks like as of 4:45 PM CDT it's a 5-6 week wait if you order so I guess that means stock was low or more pre-ordered than I expected.

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Oh snap! You went all in eh Omar. I don't know anyone else that pre-ordered. Looks like as of 4:45 PM CDT it's a 5-6 week wait if you order so I guess that means stock was low or more pre-ordered than I expected.

YOLO!

And not having kids helps too haha

12 minutes ago, Omar said:

YOLO!

And not having kids helps too haha

Yeah or paying lawyers still for at least another six months lol. I'll be so happy when that's done. I may look into upgrading next year. Hopefully they can bring the second generation of the X out a bit earlier like the standard timeline around late September so it's not as bad of a wait. 

7 hours ago, Omar said:

Well name something else that does more for you than what your phone does? Does that mean I have to get a $1000 phone? Of course not. But in general a smartphone gives you the most use vs what you spent on it than pretty much anything else.

Best bang for your buck phone to me means a phone that gives you the most at a lower price. A cheaper phone thats just as good as a higher end more expensive phone. Moto G Plus is a good example of that. Yeah its not close to 256GB but you have to ask if you really need that. For me 64GB is sufficient. The only issue I have with you is using Apple and 'best bang for your buck' in the same sentence was very misguided IMO.

Nothing wrong with being an Apple fanboy just admit that you are one. It could be worse though, you could be a Nintendo fanboy who only gets Nintendo consoles and products. :wacko:

I didn’t say the iPhone X gives you the best bang for your buck. I said a phone gives you the best bang for your buck. My very next post said paying $1000 is unnecessary.

Read fellas, read.

5 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

Nothing wrong with being an Apple fanboy just admit that you are one. It could be worse though, you could be a Nintendo fanboy who only gets Nintendo consoles and products. :wacko:

You really dissing on the dudes who just dropped two of the best games of all time in one year?  Nintendo bashing is so 2016.

20 hours ago, Omar said:

I didn’t say the iPhone X gives you the best bang for your buck. I said a phone gives you the best bang for your buck. My very next post said paying $1000 is unnecessary.

Read fellas, read.

When all's said and done, if you add up the price of your phone and the time spent using it, everyone probably ends up paying like a dollar or less for every hour using their phone so every phone is worth the money. $1000 is still ridiculous, though. It's like $400 extra for the Apple logo. And I'm not totally against Apple. I've openly posted in this thread for months that I was excited about the X reveal and would consider getting one.

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

You really dissing on the dudes who just dropped two of the best games of all time in one year?  Nintendo bashing is so 2016.

Seriously.

Zelda (97% Metacritic)
Mario (97% Metacritic)
Splatoon (83% Metacritic)
Metroid (86% Metacritic)

Oh yeah and they also launched a highly praised and great selling console.

I bought my Nexus 6P for $350 a little less than a year ago. It starting having battery problems a couple months ago, and since they were out of stock, Google replaced it with a new Pixel XL. Pretty sweet deal. I was debating selling it for around $500 or treating it in for $400 to get the Pixel 2 XL, but I don't think a slightly better camera and worse screen would be worth the extra investment.

9 hours ago, Vigo said:

I bought my Nexus 6P for $350 a little less than a year ago. It starting having battery problems a couple months ago, and since they were out of stock, Google replaced it with a new Pixel XL. Pretty sweet deal. I was debating selling it for around $500 or treating it in for $400 to get the Pixel 2 XL, but I don't think a slightly better camera and worse screen would be worth the extra investment.

Heh, yeah you don't want the burn-in screen issues for sure. Shame they went w/ LG for the XL instead of Samsung, but I guess they couldn't meet the demand or something.

45 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

So the new Firefox design looks absolutely terrible. Anyone like it ?

I kinda dig it personally.

Hey, @Omar, how are you liking your X so far??

Just now, Lucas said:

Hey, @Omar, how are you liking your X so far??

Its fantastic. It's sooooo fast compared to my 6. For me the speed and the OLED screen are my two biggest takeaways. However I was upgrading from a 6 so of course the difference in speed was going to be very noticeable, I am not sure how much of an upgrade it is from someone who has the 7.

At the end of the day, it is just a phone. Once the "new toy" novelty runs out, it doesn't feel or look at different than anyone else's phone. In other words, I wouldn't recommend paying double for an X for what you could get a 7 for.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

When you have multiple tabs open, the ones you arent looking at have very dark colored backgrounds and it looks kinda awkward. The search bar appears to have got smaller. When you scroll down your list of recent sites visited its all pushed towards the center now.