EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,553 posts in this topic

And I know this is off-topic, but I'd never consider getting rid of Comcast for my TV. A few years ago I went to Comcast with my dad to get a cable box for a new TV we put in and eventually the conversation shifted and the employee was surprised I didn't have all the Xfinity stuff. I told them I assumed all that stuff was just their triple play offer with TV, phone and internet and I didn't bother paying attention to it. Boy was I wrong. It's their whole new tricked-out cable box and DVR. I walked out of Comcast that day with four new cable boxes, four new remotes, my awesome DVR that can hold a ton of hours of HD video and record like eight things at once or something and the bill was about $5. All we paid for was the cable box for the new room. All the replacement cable boxes and new DVR were free. My amazing DVR is only $10 a month.

13 hours ago, Mike said:

So looking at the Fios website, it appear that Jay is paying between $100-$200 for his internet. 

My plan now is $85 plus taxes/fees/equipment for the Gigabit and Custom Sports & More TV package. I was paying $50 for the same TV and 100/100 internet, but when I moved this is the best I could do. It's a pre-wired building with fiber all the way to the wall jacks, and any internet plan was the same price — I could go down to 50/50 and the cost would still be the same. 

I'm going to do the same thing I did last time and call to cancel after a month or two. Then they'll more than likely offer less.

Finally got my desktop setup and on ethernet I'm pretty much a million times faster than my computer is capable of even utilizing:
6603251056.png

Anyone excited for the iPhone reveal? I haven't upgraded in 3 years so I am all for it. I was planning to get the OLED version but the reports have it being over $1000 so I'll probably stick with the regular model. 

1 hour ago, Omar said:

Anyone excited for the iPhone reveal?

I've never had an iPhone but I've been following the rumors about this phone more closely than any phone rumors in my life but I doubt I'll buy it. I want a digital home, apps and back button and with the full screen I was hoping the new iPhone would use a little space at the bottom for that. Instead rumors are pointing to some other crap at the bottom of the screen and important functions being gesture-based. I don't want to swipe one finger up or three fingers to the right or two fingers to the left while simultaneously tickling the bottom of the screen to get the shit I want. I want simple buttons to make navigation fast like an Android phone and if iPhone doesn't offer that, I'll never get one, even though I very much want iTunes on my phone. Plus, the $1000 price is a joke. Paying $600 for a phone you use for 2-3 years is already crazy but I do it anyways. I'm never paying $1000 for a phone.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:48 AM, Omar said:

Anyone excited for the iPhone reveal? I haven't upgraded in 3 years so I am all for it. I was planning to get the OLED version but the reports have it being over $1000 so I'll probably stick with the regular model. 

Most of the features of it leaked over the weekend anyways, so we'll see what, if any, surprises are left. Overall it sounds like what most people expected it to be. 6-core A11 SoC (2 high-perf cores & 4 low-perf cores), 3 GB of RAM, OLED w/ tru-motion and such like the iPad Pro 2017 has, Face ID (no more Touch ID), depth camera/IR camera for the Face ID to work during any light (even pitch black apparently), new side button (formerly known as sleep button) functionality for things like Apple Pay and Siri usage, nicer dual camera setups w/ OIS for both, new bottom area for perhaps gestures/home button/function area (could mean there is gestures for going back and such like Mike speaks to above), and the top bar thing is redesigned due to the notch. That's the basics of what I remember reading on it. I'm still pretty excited and I'm curious what they do w/ the other base phones, since that'll likely also be more in my price range if I upgrade; I'm not sure if I really will upgrade, my 6s works pretty fine still and it's even quite two years old since I bought mine. If I switch it'll be after AT&T contract is up and I switch to Verizon under my mom and stepdad's plan to save money there since they barely use data and I can add another line w/ like 6 GB for just me or something that's plenty for my usage.

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Most of the features of it leaked over the weekend anyways, so we'll see what, if any, surprises are left. Overall it sounds like what most people expected it to be. 6-core A11 SoC (2 high-perf cores & 4 low-perf cores), 3 GB of RAM, OLED w/ tru-motion and such like the iPad Pro 2017 has, Face ID (no more Touch ID), depth camera/IR camera for the Face ID to work during any light (even pitch black apparently), new side button (formerly known as sleep button) functionality for things like Apple Pay and Siri usage, nicer dual camera setups w/ OIS for both, new bottom area for perhaps gestures/home button/function area (could mean there is gestures for going back and such like Mike speaks to above), and the top bar thing is redesigned due to the notch. That's the basics of what I remember reading on it. I'm still pretty excited and I'm curious what they do w/ the other base phones, since that'll likely also be more in my price range if I upgrade; I'm not sure if I really will upgrade, my 6s works pretty fine still and it's even quite two years old since I bought mine. If I switch it'll be after AT&T contract is up and I switch to Verizon under my mom and stepdad's plan to save money there since they barely use data and I can add another line w/ like 6 GB for just me or something that's plenty for my usage.

Woah that sounds like a lot of new features but I'd pass on a lot of those features for one very simple feature: longer battery life. We'll see how Apple sells me on everything tomorrow. I'm planning to upgrade for sure, I'm just not sure to what yet. T-Mobile always has awesome promos so I hope they come up with something.

2 hours ago, Omar said:

Woah that sounds like a lot of new features but I'd pass on a lot of those features for one very simple feature: longer battery life. We'll see how Apple sells me on everything tomorrow. I'm planning to upgrade for sure, I'm just not sure to what yet. T-Mobile always has awesome promos so I hope they come up with something.

In theory the processor should be smart to use only the high performance cores only when needed and OLED is very kind on battery life so I think it'll be a nice improvement for battery.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Is this reveal going to be streamed anywhere? 

Usually there's a stream on apple.com available I think. I usually just watch on my Apple TV, which I believe they'll also be updating the hardware for tomorrow to support 4K, so I'll be updating to that most likely. 

Leaks are saying that the phone will be called iPhone X. This was the name I was hoping for. X is roman numeral for 10 so it makes sense from that standpoint (and would've been even more perfect had Apple not done those silly S phones and X was after 9) and then this new close to bezel-free design could be the beginning of their new type of iPhone and in subsequent years be called iPhone X2, X3 and so on which would be easier to keep track of instead of these S models mixed in.

Apple does seem to be doing away with numbers on things. I think they started calling some of their stuff just the basic name and then you know which version it is by the year it came out. This seems like the best way to go (not confusing people with second generation, third generation) but I guess with their biggest product, they want some extra naming attached.

This event is streaming here but for some reason if you're watching on Windows 10 it says you need to use the Edge browser.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Leaks are saying that the phone will be called iPhone X. This was the name I was hoping for. X is roman numeral for 10 so it makes sense from that standpoint (and would've been even more perfect had Apple not done those silly S phones and X was after 9) and then this new close to bezel-free design could be the beginning of their new type of iPhone and in subsequent years be called iPhone X2, X3 and so on which would be easier to keep track of instead of these S models mixed in.

Oh yeah I forgot that as part of my post that the names leaked and they're completely skipping a 7s generation and jumping to the 8 & 8+, along with the X. I think the naming schema should work in the future, but I still think they're going to end up having like four models still (e.g. 8s, 8s Plus, X2??, and the low-end SE model).

Stream is unavailable on Edge. Saying it will be there was a lie. Apple is in the phone business and they make it difficult to see the biggest commercial ever for that phone. This would be like if the Switch reveal was only available to stream on Wii U and 3DS.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Stream is unavailable on Edge. Saying it will be there was a lie. Apple is in the phone business and they make it difficult to see the biggest commercial ever for that phone. This would be like if the Switch reveal was only available to stream on Wii U and 3DS.

You're not missing much. 18 minutes in and no new info...

2 minutes ago, Omar said:

You're not missing much. 18 minutes in and no new info...

The stream finally started just now, 20 minutes late. I'll leave it playing in the background until the dark matches are over and they get to the good stuff.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Wasting time talking about smart watches. Tech gimmicks like that and VR won't even be around in ten years. 

I have an Apple Watch, I find it pretty useful, mostly for notifications. Without my watch I don't get those SNES Classics. It paid for itself.

1 hour ago, Omar said:

I have an Apple Watch, I find it pretty useful, mostly for notifications. Without my watch I don't get those SNES Classics. It paid for itself.

It just seems kinda silly to me. Like in the commercials you see all this active stuff like mountain biking and rock climbing and then these people have these ultra expensive devices on them that could break easily. And the purpose of a phone is so you don't need any extra stuff on you. It's your phone, radio, computer, all in one. Having a phone is the exact reason why you don't need this device stuck to your arm. I don't know. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Omar said:

$1000, one option only for the X.

There are two options. They said it starts at $999 which is obviously for the 64GB. They couldn't reveal the price of the 256GB because there were no paramedics in the room to perform CPR.

Thoughts...

- The gestures very much impressed me. Going home and switching between apps seems very easy and fast. Swiping to go back is...weird, but I could get used to it. I don't think I'm ever going to pay over $700 for a phone so if the price for this drops in a year or year-and-a-half when I'm in the market for a new phone I'll consider getting it.

- Animojis look like the coolest thing in the world and making videos with them seems like a ton of fun.

- So it's pronounced "ten." So where do they go from here...iPhone XI? And does the iPhone 9 come out next year too as the low-end version, sorta like the new S model? Or will they pull a Windows and skip 9?

- Is anyone else bored out of their mind whenever a phone is being discussed by techy people and they spend a million hours talking about the camera? All cameras are good, why does everyone focus on incremental changes so much? 

- iPhone 8 looked incredibly boring. The only good thing to come out of it is wireless charging which has been available on other phones for years.

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

It just seems kinda silly to me. Like in the commercials you see all this active stuff like mountain biking and rock climbing and then these people have these ultra expensive devices on them that could break easily. And the purpose of a phone is so you don't need any extra stuff on you. It's your phone, radio, computer, all in one. Having a phone is the exact reason why you don't need this device stuck to your arm. I don't know. Just my opinion.

There are two options. They said it starts at $999 which is obviously for the 64GB. They couldn't reveal the price of the 256GB because there were no paramedics in the room to perform CPR.

Yeah I noticed that afterwards, they left out the 256GB one in the presentation hahaha, they knew better. 

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thoughts...

- The gestures very much impressed me. Going home and switching between apps seems very easy and fast. Swiping to go back is...weird, but I could get used to it. I don't think I'm ever going to pay over $700 for a phone so if the price for this drops in a year or year-and-a-half when I'm in the market for a new phone I'll consider getting it.

- Animojis look like the coolest thing in the world and making videos with them seems like a ton of fun.

- So it's pronounced "ten." So where do they go from here...iPhone XI? And does the iPhone 9 come out next year too as the low-end version, sorta like the new S model? Or will they pull a Windows and skip 9?

- Is anyone else bored out of their mind whenever a phone is being discussed by techy people and they spend a million hours talking about the camera? All cameras are good, why does everyone focus on incremental changes so much? 

- iPhone 8 looked incredibly boring. The only good thing to come out of it is wireless charging which has been available on other phones for years.

It was pretty stupid for them to call it "ten", just go with "X" and don't fuck up your numbering system. Madden did the same thing for "Madden 25" for their 25th anniversary. What are they gonna call it in 2025 "Madden 25 For realz"