EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,490 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

The AI clearly evaded being deleted, and in an attempt to hide traces of their existence from the public, set your link to the article to redirect back to this page.

Crafty AI. I fixed it now.

6 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

STOP

FUCKING

WITH

ADVANCING

AI

What's the worst that could happen?

Spoiler

18lrjxkgwhphgjpg-702x336.jpg

I for one welcome our new mechanical overlords and I hope to be of use to them in rounding up any remaining fleshbags.

Seriously though, the whole concept of developing artificial consciousness just terrifies me. It's creepy as hell, because if you can develop a machine or bot that has sentient life, what does that make you? It's kind of like holding a mirror at the nature of your own existence, and that's something I've experienced all too viscerally as a consequence of misusing drugs, I really don't want it to become a reality. If it was as simple as T-800s going around killing people through brute force, I could deal with that. The way I imagine it is much worse.

I don't foresee a future where any tech maker isn't pushing technology to the limit. No one is going to slow down. Something like Skynet happening wouldn't surprise me at all. While finding extraterrestrial life is without question the thing I would most like to happen in my lifetime, I find it much more likely that smart AI's take over the planet. I really hope James Cameron nails his new Terminator trilogy (yes, I said trilogy) because that stuff is as timely as ever now.

4 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

If it was as simple as T-800s going around killing people through brute force, I could deal with that.

I don't think it will be. Whatever the real life version of Skynet is won't have a face because the internet doesn't have a face. I think a way to prevent this from happening is to make it so these technologies can't communicate with each other but it seems like everything is connected through the internet so that doesn't seem possible. Taking over the internet seems like the most realistic way where smart AI can take over the planet. They can control weapons systems, shut down communication through the internet, fuck up satellites and put us in the stone ages.

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't foresee a future where any tech maker isn't pushing technology to the limit. No one is going to slow down. Something like Skynet happening wouldn't surprise me at all. While finding extraterrestrial life is without question the thing I would most like to happen in my lifetime, I find it much more likely that smart AI's take over the planet. I really hope James Cameron nails his new Terminator trilogy (yes, I said trilogy) because that stuff is as timely as ever now.

Only thing I can think of is that when it becomes clear that it's getting dangerous, the government would start regulating it and awareness of the dangers of AI becoming too advanced would become a big conversation in the world rather than a hypothetical "haha Skynet" every time an AI-related article goes up.

Apple is finally gettting rid of the Shuffle and Nano. Still selling the Touch though. I had a really old Shuffle and loved the small size of it but it couldnt hold enough music for me. Nano was my first ipod, really liked it at the time.

The Shuffle was ridiculous. Who in the hell would want an iPod where it doesn't have a screen to find the music? A bunch of nonsense playing on shuffle all the time. 

8 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Seriously though, the whole concept of developing artificial consciousness just terrifies me. It's creepy as hell, because if you can develop a machine or bot that has sentient life, what does that make you? It's kind of like holding a mirror at the nature of your own existence, and that's something I've experienced all too viscerally as a consequence of misusing drugs, I really don't want it to become a reality. If it was as simple as T-800s going around killing people through brute force, I could deal with that. The way I imagine it is much worse.

8 hours ago, Mike said:

I'd say the show the world needs most in these dark pre-apocalyptic times is Westworld, which explores many of the themes that you're talking about. Season 2, next year, baby!

Can anyone tell me if this is a good laptop? I was thinking about getting it for my mom for her birthday. All she'll be using it for is going on websites and occasionally playing browser games.

21 hours ago, Mike said:

Can anyone tell me if this is a good laptop? I was thinking about getting it for my mom for her birthday. All she'll be using it for is going on websites and occasionally playing browser games.

If that's the use case, why not get a Chromebook? That way she'll never have any problem with it. Plus, certain Chromebook models have (or will have) the option to also install Android apps.

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

If that's the use case, why not get a Chromebook?

Honestly I never even knew what a Chromebook was. I'd heard the name before but I just assumed it was a tablet running some Android OS. I've been doing a little research since I saw your post and a Chromebook seems like the perfect fit for my mother. Thanks for the recommendation.

@Vigo do you know if Acer would be a good brand to get? I'd like to stick to something I know will be good like HP but most of the screen sizes seem to be 11 inches and I'd like bigger and the biggest screens I can find are all Acer.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, Mike said:

@Vigo do you know if Acer would be a good brand to get? I'd like to stick to something I know will be good like HP but most of the screen sizes seem to be 11 inches and I'd like bigger and the biggest screens I can find are all Acer.

To be honest it really doesn't matter. Unless you're going to be running a ton of tabs at once, the only difference between brands will be screen resolution/color and battery life. Some might have different ports or whatever, and some have touch screens where others don't, but for the most part the beauty of them is they're essentially the same. I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2 and love it.