EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,527 posts in this topic

While technology makes things simpler, things were a lot simpler before technology.

I wish I lived back in the times when it was acceptable to bash things with clubs.

App Store has hit 50 BILLION downloads and they announced the winner today who gets a $10,000 iTunes gift card. Lucky bastard. 50 other people get $500 cards, too.

Related, Google Play Store has hit about 48 Billion and will be taking over the App Store within a few months most likely.

Isn't Instagram owned by Facebook now? Or maybe it's Twitter. If its Facebook, then it being crappy makes total sense since Facebook and Apple aren't really too good of pals with Google.

So Apple had their own little conference today. Looks like they finally caught up to 2010 and are adding multitasking and 3d interface 

I really wish I could figure out what was going on here

Edit: Nvm it just took a while cuz it's kind scaled down. If it is what I think the pic nailed it on the head. Pretty much everything Apple announced the new Iphone is doing the Droid phones have been doing for years. Except Apple is calling it their innovation and making people think they are ahead of the curve not still way behind it

1) they have had multitasking for years it's just less draining of your battery in the new iOS

2) the design is FLAT in the new iOS unlike the more 3D-esque design the operating system has had.

edit: this is more in reference to your earlier post that I quoted.

But yes, they are just playing catch up with android

Yea my bad the 3d thing was backwards  And they never really had true multitasking like Droid has had forever

I found a way to get the Developer beta on my iPhone for iOS 7, so feel free to ask me anything if you guys have questions.

I found a way to get the Developer beta on my iPhone for iOS 7, so feel free to ask me anything if you guys have questions.

How is the new feel of it? How fast is Siri's response now? Same as before, any faster?

It is kinda disappointing Apple has taken to "catching up" vs. revolutionizing the phone now. Pretty much all they did this year was catch up for the most part; I don't know if you can do filters on Android built in like that, that's the only thing I could think of that may be unique, but may not even be; and even that feature isn't going to be any big deal for a lot of people.

The look is amazing, and there's just little touches to it that I really enjoy. It does a fade effect when you turn it on and off. It's definitely still in beta with the version I have, so they probably have to clean it up a bit, it's crashed on me twice, and the music app has crashed a few times too, but overall it feels good. I've never used a version in beta before.

Having the control center feels natural now and I don't know how I lived without it, and the new multi-tasking system is really nice.

Cool, cool. Any thoughts on the updated Siri?

Siri sounds better than ever and I really like the look of the wavy lines that move when you speak. I'm very excited for the final version in the fall.

Siri sounds better than ever and I really like the look of the wavy lines that move when you speak. I'm very excited for the final version in the fall.

Cool Is it any faster?

Not yet, like I said this is literally beta one of them rewriting everything. I presume follow-up betas will speed everything up, although I didn't have much of a problem with Siri to begin with.

Gotcha. Thanks for the input on this. I don't think it's super slow, but compared to Google Now, it can be sometimes. 

iOS 7 is certainly a much needed improvement to features and workflow... but man I really dislike the design so far. After checking out the developer preview, I find it to be quite ugly in certain areas. We'll see how it cleans up as it goes closer to launch.

iOS 7 is certainly a much needed improvement to features and workflow... but man I really dislike the design so far. After checking out the developer preview, I find it to be quite ugly in certain areas. We'll see how it cleans up as it goes closer to launch.

From previous experience (been in the iOS developer program from day 1) they rarely change anything with design/UI once beta 1 is released to developers.  Minor things only.  What you see now is what you're going to get, unless there's a massive outcry for change.  On the developer portal there are even guides for the developers to transition their apps to look the same way, how to properly make icons to look and feel like the stock icons, etc.  Like it or not, what you see is how iOS 7 is going to be.

Like every other iOS beta, it's an absolute battery hog.  I know that it's mostly due to all the debug symbols in there, so it's to be expected.  From some of "oops" stuff I've found so far, I highly recommend against non-developers using this as their every day OS on their phone.  Unless you have a need for it, I'd roll back to 6.x until a more stable build is released.  Some of the known issues listed on the developer portal are probably considered show stoppers for some people's every day usage.

From previous experience (been in the iOS developer program from day 1) they rarely change anything with design/UI once beta 1 is released to developers.  Minor things only.  What you see now is what you're going to get, unless there's a massive outcry for change.  On the developer portal there are even guides for the developers to transition their apps to look the same way, how to properly make icons to look and feel like the stock icons, etc.  Like it or not, what you see is how iOS 7 is going to be.

Good to know. I'm an Android guy in my day to day, but I make use of iOS devices at work. Certainly some minor stuff has irked me that may get tweaked... but overall I just haven't been a fan. I think I'm good with the general direction, just not the polish. Speaking of icons, wonder how this will impact anyone with precomposed icons in their markup (aka is there a way to have precomposed for iOS7 and then one for earlier versions)?

The UI transition guide lays all that out for developers.  On existing apps, it'll actually use the retina iPad icon now (if it has one) on the iPhone, because Apple changed the icon size across the board for developers to use (probably for scaling purposes).  It even lays out how to support iOS6 and iOS7 in one app.  So a test app I was working on had different icons for the different resolutions (for testing purposes) and it was odd for the iPad icon to show up on the iPhone.  Existing apps that are iPhone-only and don't have high enough resolution icons, or have icons with the pre-rendered flag set in the plist file, have a small black pixel border around them.  All existing apps also still keep the iOS UI appearance.  They have to be specifically compiled against the 7.0 target to get the new UI elements.  And if you compile targed for 7, you can't submit to the App Store.  So anyone running the betas won't see their existing apps change to have the new look until the final version is out in the fall.  They can update the icon to work, but that's about it (unless they manually recreate all the UI elements to look like the iOS7 elements, but that seems like an unnecessary amount of work and a waste of developer time).

One thing that makes developing for iOS7-only easier for iPhone development is that only retina devices are supported, so you don't need 2 sets of every image.  Makes it easier for designers and cuts down on the bundled app size.

Of course if you're targeting the iPad 7 still supports the iPad 2 and Mini (non-retina devices) so you'll still need to take that into consideration.

Anyone know how to unlock a AT&T Galaxy s3 so it could be used for T-Mobile?

Im doing these instructions I found on Google: Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone... enjoy!!!

But nothing is happening.

EDIT: Figured it out. Took a couple tries.

I'm not so sure how I feel about the Galaxy though, it looks awesome, but I am a total creature of habit, I feel I need an iPhone. I may try to find someone who's willing to trade.