EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,553 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think I might just end up sticking with iTunes on the computer as I have no problem with it at all. It can continue to be what I listen to on my computer and continue to be the main source of where I keep my music. I guess I'll just copy and paste whatever new music I download to my phone and then make sure that if I delete or change something on iTunes to also do the same thing on my phone. It's kinda weird that there isn't a go-to Android iTunes alternative out there but I guess with everyone streaming and whatever there isn't much demand for such a thing.

Yeah I guess where there's a difference is that I buy all of the music I have files of and it's all stuff that I want to have, so no need to worry about deleting it. It goes on the phone and stays there. Everything else gets streamed. 

I wasn't sure which topic to post this under, so my apologies if it is the wrong one. 

I bought the Nvidia Shield a couple of weeks ago to mainly use with Kodi. However, my grandkids like playing games on it. Google Play store doesn't have that many options. Also, I got the free month of GEforce and that doesn't have a large selection for them either. I'm looking for fairly easy games (the kids are 5 and 6) that I can sideload. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So I'm looking at getting a new TV. What's the word on Toshiba? I'm looking at these... 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-43-class-42-5-diag--led-2160p-with-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4882600.p?skuId=4882600

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-50-class-49-5-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/5333900.p?skuId=5333900#spoke/reviews

Between those two, it's a question of size vs resolution. 50 inch vs 43 inch with 4K. My main concern is that the 4K will barely be noticeable on that small a TV so I'd lean towards the slightly more expensive 50 inch. 

Then, there's this LG for 299, slightly smaller than the Toshiba but a better brand (I'm guessing here). 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-class-48-7-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/5405401.p?skuId=5405401

What do we think? I'm getting it for my new place in Seattle, where I'm moving in a week. I'm on a very tight budget and will probably do the financing plan. It's mainly for my bedroom so it really has no business getting bigger than 50, and 40-43 inches would be totally livable, but the extra size is definitely welcome. I saw a couple 40 inchers on sale for 200-220 and that might be the best route. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

This is news to me. Are you living by yourself?

No, right back to the old group place. I wanted to save more money with my Walmart job before moving but my job up there offered me a full time spot (before I was part time) with really ideal hours, but it had to be filled within a couple weeks, so I rushed my planned move forward. It's going to be tight money wise but there's no telling when another full time gig would be available, at the same time that a room opened up.

It'll be a good long while before I try moving out on my own again. Last time I tried I ended up back in Alabama working at Walmart and I can't tell you how soul-draining of an experience this has been. If I have to do it again I'll just join the military for real. 

Also, by the way, I got the LG. Seemed like the best deal, and the best fit. Got myself a Best Buy store card to make interest free payments on it. 

I haven't read much about the Galaxy S8 yet but I don't like how they got rid of the physical home button. I'm perfectly fine with it being removed for a pressure sensitive home button but the thing that will suck is that I'm assuming the space at the bottom for the three buttons won't remain independent from the rest of the screen anymore. So when you open apps and full-screen video you'll have to find and use the back button wherever the app has it located. That's some iPhone shit and that's my biggest complaint about iPhone. I see people using an iPhone and they're fumbling around looking for the back button and I love how on my Galaxy S7 the back button (and the other two buttons) are always in the same spot and apps don't have any control over it. I'm okay with them getting rid of the bezel at the top for extra screen space (although this will probably make the sound worse with no speaker there) but it really sucks if the Android phones are basically going to get turned into iPhones.

So I've decided that I'm going to make the Google Play Music app my music app of choice on my Galaxy S7. The UI is hideous, there are no customization options and it messed up a bunch of album artwork that I'll have to fix but the Google Play Music Manager app on Chrome can sync my iTunes library with my account so whatever I do on iTunes will transfer to the Google Play Music app on my phone. This is absolutely essential and exactly what I've been looking for so for better or worse Google Play Music is now my default music app on my phone.

4 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Well I had no idea you could sync your itunes library with a android phone. Hows that work exactly ?

Google Play Music is already on your Android phone. Download the app from the Chrome store on your computer. Then sync the email that you use for the phone app with the computer app. Then download Google Play Music Manager from the Chrome app store on your computer and it'll sync up to 25,000 of your iTunes songs to your account. You can download them at any time to listen to offline. There's also a setting on there to automatically make any changes you make to iTunes go to your Google Music account. So if you delete a song or add an album to iTunes, the changes will automatically show up on your Google Music account.

I pay for Google Music as an iPhone user because it lets me sync my entire library and because of YouTube Red, but as a music app it pales in comparison to Spotify and Apple Music. The perks is what gets me.

On 5/23/2017 at 10:09 AM, Omar said:

I pay for Google Music as an iPhone user because it lets me sync my entire library and because of YouTube Red, but as a music app it pales in comparison to Spotify and Apple Music. The perks is what gets me.

I've been Android for years and I also hate the Google Play Music app. Likewise, if not for having my library and the YouTube Red benefits, I'd be on literally any other music service. 

At least Google Play is slightly better than they used to be.  Their radio suggestions seem to be better than they were a couple of years ago, and the top charts actually seem to update these days.  They also do music suggestions now, which if I'm not mistaken, they didn't even have a couple years back.  Omar is right though, compared to other services they don't measure up, maybe one day they'll catch up. 

As anti an iPhone person as I am, there's no denying that iTunes is the unquestionable leader when it comes to music programs/apps out there. I wish to god that Apple would allow Apple Music to be free for syncing with iTunes.

So I updated some of my albums on iTunes (mainly getting various miix albums and merging them under one album title) and it will not sync with Google Play Music. Doing a search says to just turn off the "download only" switch and refresh but that isn't working. Does anyone know what to do to get it to update?

Has anyone else noticed that the auto-correct on the default keyboard on Android has been horrible since Nougat came out? It used to be perfect and no matter how I typed it it always came out correctly because the keyboard would learn from the way you type and the words you use. Now it's just awful. It replaces correctly spelled words with other words. For example, it replaces "ass" with "was" and "makes" with "males." Also, sometimes I'll type a word wrong and then another time I'll type the correct spelling of that word and it will auto-correct it to the incorrect spelling from before. I just don't get why they had to change the way auto-correct works when there was nothing wrong with it. This is why I don't like updating things. Updates frequently make things worse before they get better.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Has anyone else noticed that the auto-correct on the default keyboard on Android has been horrible since Nougat came out? It used to be perfect and no matter how I typed it it always came out correctly because the keyboard would learn from the way you type and the words you use. Now it's just awful. It replaces correctly spelled words with other words. For example, it replaces "ass" with "was" and "makes" with "males." Also, sometimes I'll type a word wrong and then another time I'll type the correct spelling of that word and it will auto-correct it to the incorrect spelling from before. I just don't get why they had to change the way auto-correct works when there was nothing wrong with it. This is why I don't like updating things. Updates frequently make things worse before they get better.

SwiftKey 

SwiftKey...where have you been my whole life. I imagine the Google keyboard is good too cause Google is great at everything but I'm loving SwiftKey and will stick with it. It learns what I type, automatically adds a space after a comma, customizable size and color, let's you put numbers at the top and the autocorrect is great. My first fuck didn't get changed to duck. That's the first time that's ever happened to me. 

Facebook Shut Down An Artificial Intelligence Program That Developed Its Own Language: "The social media giant just shut down an artificial intelligence program after it developed its own language and researchers were left trying to figure out what two AIs were talking about. The AIs had found a way to negotiate with one another, but the way they debated used English words reduced to a more logical structure that made more sense to the computers than to their human observers. What at first looked like an unintelligible failure to teach the AIs to talk instead was revealed as a result of the computers’ reward systems prizing efficiency over poetry. The goal was ultimately to develop an AI that could communicate with humans, but instead the research took a left turn when instead the computers learned to communicate with one another in a way that locked humans out by not following the rules of English."

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Facebook Shut Down An Artificial Intelligence Program That Developed Its Own Language: "The social media giant just shut down an artificial intelligence program after it developed its own language and researchers were left trying to figure out what two AIs were talking about. The AIs had found a way to negotiate with one another, but the way they debated used English words reduced to a more logical structure that made more sense to the computers than to their human observers. What at first looked like an unintelligible failure to teach the AIs to talk instead was revealed as a result of the computers’ reward systems prizing efficiency over poetry. The goal was ultimately to develop an AI that could communicate with humans, but instead the research took a left turn when instead the computers learned to communicate with one another in a way that locked humans out by not following the rules of English."

The AI clearly evaded being deleted, and in an attempt to hide traces of their existence from the public, set your link to the article to redirect back to this page.