EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,527 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2016 at 9:35 AM, Mike said:

I'm not looking to upgrade. I bought the Galaxy S7 just for the Gear VR headset and since I bought it I've used the headset twice in like six months but I love the phone and have no plans to upgrade. I was just curious what some of our more knowledgeable techies on here thought of the new Google phone.

Verizon and T-Mobile have also stopped selling the Note 7. Samsung might as well just discontinue the phone. Only an idiot would buy it after two recalls that could set your damn house on fire. This is a huge loss. Imagine the money they spent on this phone to design, build and ship, advertise, sell, recall, sell again and recall again. This loss will easily be in the billions and the Note brand is worthless. This is worse than RROD for Xbox...way worse considering Xbox actually fixed the issue. I don't really follow a ton of happenings in the cell phone world as I tend to stick with my phone much longer than most people so new phone stuff doesn't really matter to me but this Note 7 stuff is very interesting to hear about.

I meant the actual hardware upgrades, not upgrading your phone lol. My comparisons were for the linked to phone that actually have as good or better specs on it for ~$300 or so cheaper than this. It's overpriced.

Yep, totally shut down the Note 7 production now. Derp.

I'm having some weird issues with Chrome. Last night when I went on Chrome it kept closing right when I opened it. Once or twice I could make out a message in the bottom-right from my uBlock ad blocker ad-on but I couldn't see what it said. Every single time the browser kept closing right when I opened it. I uninstalled it and then when I install it again it appears to install correctly but when I click the desktop shortcut for the first time this pops up and it just stays there forever. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling again and the same thing happened. Does anyone know what is wrong and what I can do to fix it?

I've had Windows 10 since launch and it hasn't been able to install firmware updates or download things from the store for a very long time. The store just crashes when I try to update or install something and when I find the recent update for Windows on their website and try to install it I get the error code 0x80004002. I have no idea what to do to get it to fix. I've checked a bunch of different forums and nothing is working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any extra info someone might need is below...

Windows 10 Home
Version 1511
OS Build 10586.218
64-bit

So I had to use some discipline to not jump on some of the TV deals I saw over the holidays, but once I get back to Washington, I will be needing a TV so I'm wondering if anybody knows when's the best time to shop for one? I'm going to try and save as much as I can but i don't have it in me to not buy a cool TV. Also is 4K "worth it" now? I see the price is dropping a good bit and I'd maybe hop on one if I found a good brand in the 500 dollar range. 

7 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Also is 4K "worth it" now?

I wouldn't bother. My mom wanted a new TV a few months ago and the thought occurred to me to give her my old 1080p TV that's a little over 5-years-old and buy a 4K for myself but I didn't want to be an ass and give her my old TV and buy a new one for myself lol. But then she came out to me and suggested it and I chose not to do it. I just had her buy a 1080p TV and I stuck with mine. I'm not some weirdo that's gonna throw away a perfectly good console to buy an updated one so 4K wouldn't be possible for me until the next console generation. It's also not on Comcast, not on Netflix, obviously can't get it on my current Blu-rays. It's not worth the extra price at this time in my opinion. No point in buying a "future proof" TV if the future is like ten years away. I'd rather save the money and get a 1080p. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I wouldn't bother. My mom wanted a new TV a few months ago and the thought occurred to me to give her my old 1080p TV that's a little over 5-years-old and buy a 4K for myself but I didn't want to be an ass and give her my old TV and buy a new one for myself lol. But then she came out to me and suggested it and I chose not to do it. I just had her buy a 1080p TV and I stuck with mine. I'm not some weirdo that's gonna throw away a perfectly good console to buy an updated one so 4K wouldn't be possible for me until the next console generation. It's also not on Comcast, not on Netflix, obviously can't get it on my current Blu-rays. It's not worth the extra price at this time in my opinion. No point in buying a "future proof" TV if the future is like ten years away. I'd rather save the money and get a 1080p. 

Ten years is definitely stretching it very generously. And it really isn't that big of a price difference is the point. Like if the difference is two or three hundred bucks, that doesn't seem like that huge of a deal for a much better and slightly future proof TV. If I wasn't willing to spend a little extra I'd be buying some crappy Insignia or Vizio TV instead of a Sony or Samsung anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sony TVs are extremely overpriced.

Well you get what you pay for. Sony/Samsung/LG may be high but they're also way better, speaking as someone who has owned two Sonys, a Samsung, and lived with Vizios and Insignias. Sony TVs in particular have a certain look to them that's hard to describe but I really dig it. But the Samsung was great too, just in a less distinct way. And really Vizios are really good for budget TVs, but they are budget nonetheless. Insignia is total bargain bin stuff. Dynex is for garbage people.

Anyways, apparently there's sales going on right now because of some "big game" (I have to assume this is in reference to the inauguration and the next four years of cable news) but I really need to wait until after I move. Buying before will pretty much flush whatever money I save when I have to pay to ship it. 

But the deals aren't bad. The main hangup I have with 4K is that it's definitely something for a bigger TV because smaller ones aren't available. Part of me feels I should be modest and make do with a nice 32 inch because it's only something that's going to hold me back anyway. But fuck, man, I love having a big nice TV. Almost as much as I love buying and bringing them home. 

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

Ten years is definitely stretching it very generously.

Is it? I mean, you still can't get a cable broadcast in 1080p and we're already moving on to the next big thing? I'm not saying it will take 10 years for 4K to have enough content to be worth investing in, but if it did, it wouldn't surprise me.

7 hours ago, pen said:

Is it? I mean, you still can't get a cable broadcast in 1080p and we're already moving on to the next big thing? I'm not saying it will take 10 years for 4K to have enough content to be worth investing in, but if it did, it wouldn't surprise me.

Well I don't know how many people are still going to be using cable in ten years anyway. I don't even use it now. That's a long ass time. For context: ten years ago, HD television sets wasn't at all the norm yet. Tech moves faster than that. Ten years from now, nobody will give a hoot about 4K and HDR because they'll be the norm and there will be some newer thing trickling into the market to make them obsolete. We're already at a point where the vast majority of advertised TV deals are for 4K sets, because the price is so close to 1080p that there's basically nothing holding it back from being adopted. 

6 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Well I don't know how many people are still going to be using cable in ten years anyway.

I doubt people that don't have unlimited internet (those poor souls) will be able to afford 4K streaming.

On 1/15/2017 at 10:00 PM, Ruiner said:

Ten years is definitely stretching it very generously. And it really isn't that big of a price difference is the point. Like if the difference is two or three hundred bucks, that doesn't seem like that huge of a deal for a much better and slightly future proof TV. If I wasn't willing to spend a little extra I'd be buying some crappy Insignia or Vizio TV instead of a Sony or Samsung anyway. 

I think the picture quality on my dad's Vizio 4k is better than my LG 4k. I have better features on mine though. 

I researched the hell out of TVs last year when I was shopping for a new one. I heard it all: Vizio's suck, LGs suck unless you get OLEDs, Samsungs suck unless you get their high end model, any Chinese brand is crap, etc etc.

And all that shit made me end up getting an OLED tv from LG that I fell in love with because it was curved and was silver. I spent waaaaay too much on it. And now there's been some family members who got affordable decent TVs around Black Friday and while I could say mine is better than there's, it is not so much better to justify me paying more than double of what they paid. 

Long story short, don't research TVs too much online. People who research TVs are people who are super picky and will notice stuff we will never notice, stuff that ultamitely doesn't matter.

As for the 4K debate, I know it sucks to shell out a bunch of cash on a TV and not have it have brand spanking new technology.  But like Pen mentioned a ton of channels haven't even caught up to 1080p much less 4K. By the time everyone catches up to 4K, you're gonna feel it's time to replace that TV because you've had it so long. Then you get your much more affordable 4K TV. And from what I've read the upgrade from 1080p to 4K isn't even noticeable to the human eye unless you get a HUGE TV, bigger than 55 inches. 

I look forward to the day when TVs become so good that the human eye won't notice the difference and then that TV, 8K or whatever, will be the TV that is used forever and there will never be the need to upgrade to something new.

I have a Vizio, and it has a great picture. I love it. 

I also have a Sony. It's a piece of trash. All of the HDMI ports work whenever they feel like it, and the only way to get them to 'work' after they stop is to physically unplug the TV from the wall while it's on. Not a joke. Have to crawl behind the entertainment center it sits on and unplug it. Just turning it off does nothing. 

I'd buy a Vizio over a Sony any day because of that. The next TV I get will be a Samsung, though. 

Yeah I get the content argument with 4K (and the size one is probably more compelling, because I'm not going to be looking to get a monster more than likely). But to reiterate, cablr content has zero bearing on me. I'm not going to have cable, and I likely never will. I'll probably do the same thing I did last time I moved, which is subscribe to Playstation Vue (which I really can't say enough good things about) during months when my top shows are in season. Now Vue doesn't support 4K either so that's a moot point, but either way there's still upscaling to account for. 

16 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Yeah I get the content argument with 4K (and the size one is probably more compelling, because I'm not going to be looking to get a monster more than likely). But to reiterate, cablr content has zero bearing on me. I'm not going to have cable, and I likely never will. I'll probably do the same thing I did last time I moved, which is subscribe to Playstation Vue (which I really can't say enough good things about) during months when my top shows are in season. Now Vue doesn't support 4K either so that's a moot point, but either way there's still upscaling to account for. 

I love PS Vue. I've used it for several months. The only gripe I have with it is NFL Network. If a game on Thursday night was streaming on Twitter, you couldn't watch it on NFL Network through PS Vue, because Twitter had exclusive "online streaming rights" and PS Vue counts as an online streaming service, instead of a cable provider. That's more of an NFL gripe, but it did just force me to find an illegal stream when that happened on certain weeks.

So previously I used to tease weirdos like Ruiner who refused to use an iPod/iTunes. Well I feel like I'm about to be in the same boat. I barely listen to music nowadays. I can't tell you the last time I used my iPod. My Galaxy S7 is 32GB and I only have 15GB of music. I was thinking about putting all my music on my phone. I always have my phone on me so it'd be easier than having to get the extra device just for music. Does anyone know any good programs/apps for this? Also, will adding all this music to my phone slow it down at all? I like how my phone is nice and fast even after having it for a year.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

So Pulsar seems like the best option for me. I like the look of it and stuff it offers. No unnecessary bells and whistles. Just a simple music player.

Rocket Player. Great interface, EQ settings, never done me wrong in years. It's how I listen to most of my music. 

On 1/29/2017 at 5:13 PM, Ruiner said:

Rocket Player. Great interface, EQ settings, never done me wrong in years. It's how I listen to most of my music. 

Does that also have a program for the computer too? Cause I was thinking...if I ever lost my phone or my SD card in it broke, I don't want to lose all my music. If there was an iTunes-like program to download on the computer that would solve many issues...I could add music there and then easily sync phone to the computer, my computer would be the very reliable main place to store the music and I would have an easy place to listen to my music if I wanted to listen at the computer without the phone. I was happy with Pulsar until I realized it all stays on your phone with no computer involved.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Does that also have a program for the computer too? Cause I was thinking...if I ever lost my phone or my SD card in it broke, I don't want to lose all my music. If there was an iTunes-like program to download on the computer that would solve many issues...I could add music there and then easily sync phone to the computer, my computer would be the very reliable main place to store the music and I would have an easy place to listen to my music if I wanted to listen at the computer without the phone. I was happy with Pulsar until I realized it all stays on your phone with no computer involved.

Uh. I'm not sure if what you're describing exists, outside of something like Amazon or Play Music (but the actual player apps suck). Rocket Player just reads whatever music is on your phone. I download most of my newly purchased music straight to it from Amazon, and anything I can't do that with I just put on it with a USB cord from my PC. It's really not even a little bit complicated--plug phone in, open phone file from My Computer, find the "Music" folder, drag all your music files to it. 

I think you can use Windows Media Player to do an old fashioned sync, though. 

7 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Uh. I'm not sure if what you're describing exists, outside of something like Amazon or Play Music (but the actual player apps suck). Rocket Player just reads whatever music is on your phone. I download most of my newly purchased music straight to it from Amazon, and anything I can't do that with I just put on it with a USB cord from my PC. It's really not even a little bit complicated--plug phone in, open phone file from My Computer, find the "Music" folder, drag all your music files to it. 

I think you can use Windows Media Player to do an old fashioned sync, though. 

I think I might just end up sticking with iTunes on the computer as I have no problem with it at all. It can continue to be what I listen to on my computer and continue to be the main source of where I keep my music. I guess I'll just copy and paste whatever new music I download to my phone and then make sure that if I delete or change something on iTunes to also do the same thing on my phone. It's kinda weird that there isn't a go-to Android iTunes alternative out there but I guess with everyone streaming and whatever there isn't much demand for such a thing.