EchoX860

Tech Talk

1,527 posts in this topic

So, new iPhone, thoughts?

I haven't been able to read up on it much yet, but one thing I'll say is that I really wish they would have changed up the look. Not that it matters a lot to me because I always end up using a huge Ottebox, but it would make me feel as if I actually got a full upgrade on my phone.

No headphone jack is really stupid. They're building the walls of their walled garden even taller and it only helps their competitors.

9 hours ago, Omar said:

So, new iPhone, thoughts?

I haven't been able to read up on it much yet, but one thing I'll say is that I really wish they would have changed up the look. Not that it matters a lot to me because I always end up using a huge Ottebox, but it would make me feel as if I actually got a full upgrade on my phone.

They're waiting until next year to revamp it (10th year anniversary), plus they also said they are now doing three year cycles going forward. I'd honestly preferred they just called it what this phone really is like iPhone 6SS or whatever. They cleaned up the antenna lines I've thought were hideous for a while now at least, but I also use a case. Jet black looks slick. Stereo audio seems it'll be split weird facing different directions. Didn't really understand the point of the new home button stuff. Waterproof is cool. But nothing is screaming must have upgrade to me. I'm considering the Google pixel depending on cost and features in the future. Meh on Apple output lately.

5 hours ago, Vigo said:

No headphone jack is really stupid. They're building the walls of their walled garden even taller and it only helps their competitors.

This is huge. I get why they're doing it but screwing tons of people with it. Can't charge phone and listen to music if you use the free EarPods. The AirPods are hideously designed for Apple. It's the worst thing they've done and the price is atrocious for what it is. Losing points here and I've been big Apple backer for years. 

32 minutes ago, Lucas said:

They're waiting until next year to revamp it (10th year anniversary), plus they also said they are now doing three year cycles going forward. I'd honestly preferred they just called it what this phone really is like iPhone 6SS or whatever. They cleaned up the antenna lines I've thought were hideous for a while now at least, but I also use a case. Jet black looks slick. Stereo audio seems it'll be split weird facing different directions. Didn't really understand the point of the new home button stuff. Waterproof is cool. But nothing is screaming must have upgrade to me. I'm considering the Google pixel depending on cost and features in the future. Meh on Apple output lately.

This is huge. I get why they're doing it but screwing tons of people with it. Can't charge phone and listen to music if you use the free EarPods. The AirPods are hideously designed for Apple. It's the worst thing they've done and the price is atrocious for what it is. Losing points here and I've been big Apple backer for years. 

The charge phone/listen to music thing is something I do everyday at work and something it seems a lot of people don't consider based on reviews I've read. While I'd like to upgrade from my iPhone 6, it seems like the inconvenience outweighs the new features for me right now. Probably won't do an upgrade until the battery on my phone annoys me enough or I get blown away by next years phone. 

I thought the iPhone 5 looked so much better than the iPhone 6, I'm pretty shocked they're sticking with the same design for a 3rd year. 

I'm not one of these super anti-Apple people that are out there. I own a Galaxy S7 for my phone and have always had Android for phones but I also own an iPad that I'm very happy with and I think the App Store is way better than the Play Store. But it amazes me how many people get so excited for these incremental updates to the iPhone. Last year my sister was on my cell phone plan so I was stuck waiting in line with her for a long-ass time because she needed the new iPhone on day 1 as if it offered anything new or exciting. I remember when the 4S came out people were disappointed that it wasn't called the iPhone 5. If it was the same phone but called the iPhone 5 instead these people would've been super-excited but they just complained because of the number. It's like the thought of new features and improvements is lost on these people and they're just buying a new iPhone because it's a new iPhone.

I had a conversation with my aunt one time and I said I didn't have an iPhone and she looked at me with a confused look on her face. She then said "so you don't have a smartphone?" I actually think she was unaware that there were any other smartphones out there other than iPhones. It amazes me how clueless these iPhone people are. And let's not forget one of the best reasons to go Android over iPhone...free ringtones.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

And let's not forget one of the best reasons to go Android over iPhone...free ringtones.

You are aware you can get anything you want as a ringtone on iPhone basically for free, right? You just have to save it to your computer and transfer it to the phone first. First day I got mine I made the little pirate computer virus jingle from that episode of Archer my ringtone and never looked back.

Also count me amongst those that thinks getting rid of the headphone jack is a bozo move. Oh well, I never get the newest model phone anyways

In theory wasn't the move to remove the jack in order to make the phone thinner? Yet the phone is the exact size and weight as the last one? What gives? By the way, do we really need our phones any thinner? Those shits are gonna snap in half eventually. I know people with skinny jeans want thinner phones but fuck them.

i do see that the jack has been replaced by another set of speakers, which is a replacement I can dig because the speakers on iPhones are awful. 

3 hours ago, Omar said:

In theory wasn't the move to remove the jack in order to make the phone thinner? Yet the phone is the exact size and weight as the last one? What gives? By the way, do we really need our phones any thinner? Those shits are gonna snap in half eventually. I know people with skinny jeans want thinner phones but fuck them.

i do see that the jack has been replaced by another set of speakers, which is a replacement I can dig because the speakers on iPhones are awful. 

Exactly. It's the walled garden thing that Vigo mentions. It's all about that accessory purchase thing. I personally hope the 7 sells like shit and is complained about enough due to the headphone jack, but I doubt that happens. It personally doesn't really affect me all that much, though, even if I did upgrade; I mostly use BT for audio in my car and rarely listen to music on my phone outside of that. But still doesn't mean that it's a good idea at all.

No the jack didn't get replaced with another speaker, they are making the earpiece a second "stereo" speaker even though they'll face in different directions (that'll probably sound weird as hell). The old jack spot now has the new solid-state home button taptic engine thing in its place.

I guess to give a positive for removing the headphone jack, they DID make the battery bigger w/o making the phone bigger, so there's that.

I'm having a very weird printer issue right now. My sheet with the NFL games where me and my dad pick the winners wasn't printing on my HP Deskjet 2540 printer. I download the troubleshooter off their website and they fixed any issues with updates. I print a test page and it printed. I printed my wrestling card sheet and that worked fine. Then I go to print the NFL sheet and it wouldn't print. I've had this same document saved for years and it always works fine. I tried copying the text to a new document, trying more basic fonts and it still won't print. Just this one goddamn document. Does anyone have any clue why the NFL picks sheet is cursed?

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm having a very weird printer issue right now. My sheet with the NFL games where me and my dad pick the winners wasn't printing on my HP Deskjet 2540 printer. I download the troubleshooter off their website and they fixed any issues with updates. I print a test page and it printed. I printed my wrestling card sheet and that worked fine. Then I go to print the NFL sheet and it wouldn't print. I've had this same document saved for years and it always works fine. I tried copying the text to a new document, trying more basic fonts and it still won't print. Just this one goddamn document. Does anyone have any clue why the NFL picks sheet is cursed?

Any kind of error in the print queue? Wrong paper size? What program are you using to print from?

14 hours ago, Lucas said:

1. Any kind of error in the print queue?

2. Wrong paper size?

3. What program are you using to print from?

1. When I hit print the queue shows the document printing and the printer makes a noise like it's about to print and then the document leaves the queue like it printed only it didn't print.

2. Same exact paper that hasn't been changed in a while. It printed the test page and the wrestling card no issue.

3. Word.

So I'm starting to work on some projects and I have two PCs: my good and strong desktop, and my battered laptop. Now I'd like to one day own a good and strong laptop again, but for the time being, it's preferable to work on things on the desktop if I can help it. But at the same time, if I need to take it on the go, the laptop will get the job done.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm wondering if there's a way to keep your files and projects you're working on, on two PCs at the same time. So like, if I do something on the laptop, I can easily access that on my desktop without having to use a USB. It seems like the internet would make that possible.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

So I'm starting to work on some projects and I have two PCs: my good and strong desktop, and my battered laptop. Now I'd like to one day own a good and strong laptop again, but for the time being, it's preferable to work on things on the desktop if I can help it. But at the same time, if I need to take it on the go, the laptop will get the job done.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm wondering if there's a way to keep your files and projects you're working on, on two PCs at the same time. So like, if I do something on the laptop, I can easily access that on my desktop without having to use a USB. It seems like the internet would make that possible.

Google Drive

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Google Drive

Or OneDrive as well. Another alternative is what I do — I have a Chromebook and I use Chrome Remote Desktop to work on my desktop from upstairs or wherever. 

I put my mother's Verizon cell phone line on my old HTC One M8 phone for her and I never once had a problem with the phone but she is occasionally getting a message that says "unfortunately, com.qualcomm.qti.tetherservice has stopped." The message keeps popping up once you hit "ok" and doesn't go away. I restarted the phone to factory conditions before I gave it to her so I don't know if I messed something up with the settings when I set it up. Does anyone know what this message is and how to fix the issue?

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Thoughts on Pixel?

The benefit of the upgrades to it don't outweigh the surprising cost increases for the phone. I'd recommend this phone for a cheaper option w/ pretty much the same specs.

After yet another replacement Galaxy Note 7 has caught fire, AT&T has stopped selling them. This is huge for Samsung. This phone is worthless and its reputation is permanently ruined. They can never sell this phone again. 

On 10/7/2016 at 11:55 AM, Lucas said:

The benefit of the upgrades to it don't outweigh the surprising cost increases for the phone. I'd recommend this phone for a cheaper option w/ pretty much the same specs.

I'm not looking to upgrade. I bought the Galaxy S7 just for the Gear VR headset and since I bought it I've used the headset twice in like six months but I love the phone and have no plans to upgrade. I was just curious what some of our more knowledgeable techies on here thought of the new Google phone.

14 hours ago, Mike said:

After yet another replacement Galaxy Note 7 has caught fire, AT&T has stopped selling them.

Verizon and T-Mobile have also stopped selling the Note 7. Samsung might as well just discontinue the phone. Only an idiot would buy it after two recalls that could set your damn house on fire. This is a huge loss. Imagine the money they spent on this phone to design, build and ship, advertise, sell, recall, sell again and recall again. This loss will easily be in the billions and the Note brand is worthless. This is worse than RROD for Xbox...way worse considering Xbox actually fixed the issue. I don't really follow a ton of happenings in the cell phone world as I tend to stick with my phone much longer than most people so new phone stuff doesn't really matter to me but this Note 7 stuff is very interesting to hear about.