Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heldjc

The Americans

114 posts in this topic

Yeah, she's annoying in the sense that she's getting in the way of her parents' cool illegal Soviet espionage, but she's done very little wrong (giving that ludicrous amount of money to the church was stupid, but the kind of thing you can pardon as that minister clearly took advantage of her and she's still young). Her parents are being suspicious and giving her a hard time for wanting to go to church and be a normal, good kid trying to be a good adult. It's kind of a way at seeing how much of a dilemma these people have, trying to raise an American family as Russian spies, they really brought their children into a fucked up environment to grow up in, which requires them to constantly lie because the truth could destroy them.

I think next season that might start to change after hearing the other kids story. It's going to be so interesting to see how interactions between their family and the centre will be now. Can't wait for next season.

Good premiere. Did anyone else watch? My money is on Paige finding the tape from Elizabeth's mom and that is how she finds out about her parents. The second I saw the tape I just knew this is gonna happen. I'm guessing it will be the way the season ends. Also, the FX graphics for the opening titles and rating for the show with the ice with the flag in the background was nice looking.

Yeah it was great as always, and that opening was fucking awesome. Elizabeth and Gaad face-to-face in the first few minutes and they get into a brutal fight. Didn't see that coming at all.

I've got no clue how this with Paige is going to play out. While I'm on Phillip's side all the way both parents present compelling arguments. I've wondered from the beginning just what was going to happen to their children at the end of all this--either America wins the war and Phillip+Elizabeth are either dead, in hiding, or retire, or they win the war against the country their kids are a part of. There's no good ending to that, and it makes sense that Elizabeth and the organization realize that the kids are going to have to know at some point. But the whole war is stupid and deep down Phillip knows it and he knows it's best to leave their daughter out of it.

Clever FX advertising showing off Elizabeth being slammed against a car by what appears to be Stan to make it look like they're giving away a huge scene from late in the season and it's actually in the first episode and not much of a spoiler at all.

Also I loved when the guy in the FBI presentation asked Stan what they were talking about (so Stan can explain it to the audience) and Stan just blows him off. I made a tweet about it and one of the writers replied to me about how they hate exposition too. Yay for no exposition!

So I had assumed for some reason that the girl Phillip's romancing was like 18 and that's why it was creepy, but she's actually 15? Iiiiiick, this is some dark territory they're going to.

This whole story is fantastic. This is taking Phillip to such a dark place and he still has the Paige issue to deal with all the while his wife and their new handler are completely useless in helping him get through this. He's definitely the most interesting character on this show.

Yeah, Phillip's resonated the most for me for a while now, and Matthew Rhys is fucking killing it. He should've been up for an Emmy last year if it weren't for those clowns completely ignoring this show for some reason.

That last scene with "The Chain", fuuuuuuuuuuck.

FX isn't bullshitting with all those "the best show on television" ads.

Game of Thrones isn't currently on and in no way is House of Cards better.

Year-round I'd have Louie and maybe Fargo over it.

Game of Thrones isn't currently on

Well that's a silly thing to say. If the show is currently airing but just in its off-season, it still qualifies. When they said "the best show on TV" they weren't just referring to the period between January and April.

and in no way is House of Cards better.

Don't discredit House of Cards just cause you're mad at Kevin Spacey's character.

Fargo

Fargo was really great but that finale was a big disappointment for me. I think that's why I look back more fondly towards True Detective because while the whole season of Fargo might've been better than True Detective, the True Detective finale was so great it's what I remember most.

1. Regardless, there's no show that's head and shoulders above it so the fact that it's up for debate gives the claim legitimacy.

2. I'm not mad at Kevin Spacey's character, it's just not that strong of a show.

My heart was racing during that final scene, even before Paige started making the call, cause you just knew something big was about to happen. I can't wait to see where that goes next season. I was disappointed that the stuff with Nina didn't end. There was really no reason to keep her on the show. Her exit in season 2 should've been it for her. It sucks that they're likely going to drag that on even further next year. I still don't trust her and I think she's using that guy to buy her freedom. The stuff with Martha was getting boring but it picked up near the end and I'm curious where they're going to take it now that Philip revealed to her that he was wearing a disguise. I felt like she should've been on the finale and they should've wrapped her story up this year. The logical thing would've been for Philip to kill her and hang her like it was a suicide but I'm glad he didn't do that. I just hope they don't stretch things out for too long with the conclusion to the Martha story. I was very disappointed that they dropped the Kimmy story out of nowhere. That was the most entertaining part of the show for a few episodes and then it was gone. I always hate how this shows seems to randomly drop storylines only to bring them back a year later. Next year in episode 6 the "previously on" will remind us of the black husband who wants a piece of what Elizabeth has going on. I wasn't really a fan of the stuff in the middle east they were on about this year but overall this was a much better season than season 2 and I was pretty satisfied with the whole season.

And the Philip and Sandra stuff just seems like a weird way to keep the Sandra actress on the show. I'm not really a fan of that plot development. And Stan turning Oleg? What the hell is up with that? I don't feel like that was his intent all along. I feel like he just tricked Oleg and knew he needed to give the FBI more in order to convince them he was working for them and not just trying to help Nina.

Good review here... http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/tim-goodman-was-americans-season-791003

My heart was racing during that final scene, even before Paige started making the call, cause you just knew something big was about to happen. I can't wait to see where that goes next season. I was disappointed that the stuff with Nina didn't end. There was really no reason to keep her on the show. Her exit in season 2 should've been it for her. It sucks that they're likely going to drag that on even further next year. I still don't trust her and I think she's using that guy to buy her freedom. The stuff with Martha was getting boring but it picked up near the end and I'm curious where they're going to take it now that Philip revealed to her that he was wearing a disguise. I felt like she should've been on the finale and they should've wrapped her story up this year. The logical thing would've been for Philip to kill her and hang her like it was a suicide but I'm glad he didn't do that. I just hope they don't stretch things out for too long with the conclusion to the Martha story. I was very disappointed that they dropped the Kimmy story out of nowhere. That was the most entertaining part of the show for a few episodes and then it was gone. I always hate how this shows seems to randomly drop storylines only to bring them back a year later. Next year in episode 6 the "previously on" will remind us of the black husband who wants a piece of what Elizabeth has going on. I wasn't really a fan of the stuff in the middle east they were on about this year but overall this was a much better season than season 2 and I was pretty satisfied with the whole season.

The Kimmy stuff isn't over yet I'm sure. We can safely assume that as of now, Philip's Jesus story has backed her off wanting to fuck him and he's still getting visiting and getting intel. It'll pop back up when something new develops. There were some issues with that earlier on (like Annelise's character who I'm still not entirely sure who she was) but we spent more than enough time with Kimmy that it shouldn't be confusing.

The show's got a LOT of developments going on at once at all times, and while I imagine it's easy to lose track if it doesn't have your full attention (which can be asking a lot if you watch a lot of shows), so you get a bunch of subplots stewing over the course of multiple seasons--but any one of them can send everything straight to hell at a moment's notice. Martha's been a part of the show since season one and then out of nowhere on like episode seven of season three the volume on it gets turned way up. Anton Baklanov was kidnapped midway through season two and at the time served as a device to further push Philip to his breaking point, and now we see him back in Russia and Nina's been assigned to play him to earn her freedom. I get what you're saying in the sense that it seems like characters are randomly brought back or disappear but what makes it so great is how deliberate it actually is.

And likewise, while I hope they don't go with some out-of-nowhere Sandra/Philip affair (I mean, more power to them if they pull it off, but it doesn't sound like a good direction on paper), the actual proposed tell-all friendship is really intriguing because Philip is in a place where he really needs exactly that. While obviously he can't tell her everything he actually does, having someone he can truly share his feelings with (and turning the EST thing into a meaningful development for the characters beyond being a plot device for Stan) is huge for him. That last scene (in addition to being terrifying because it seemed like Paige was about to rat or kill herself or we were going to find out Martha killed herself) was heartbreaking when Philip was on the verge of breaking down to Elizabeth and she casually brushed him off to listen to the infamous Reagan speech. It makes all the sense in the world he would find an outlet in EST and potentially in Sandra. I think this is also potentially leading to him eventually turning his back on the motherland in the show's endgame--seeing her mother and Reagan's speech is pretty clearly sending Elizabeth straight into her militant allegiance to her home country, and I think Philip is going in the opposite direction.

But yeah, while it left a lot to be continued in season four (Martha, Nina/Anton, Stan/Oleg, Stan/Gaad), man, things are so completely fucked for the Jennings family now, the whole thing is about to go tits up. I mean, they're gonna have to kill Pastor Tim, right? The show is doing some big moves, but I doubt Philip and Elizabeth are getting outright busted any earlier than the show's final several episodes. Tim will probably honor Paige's pleas not to tell anybody long enough to get killed (probably because Paige will feel bad and tell her parents she ratted), but then that's obviously going to turn things even more batshit crazy with Paige knowing that not only are her parents murderers but they murdered the only person in the world she trusted anymore.

I just finished a series rewatch with some new viewers, and man, that last scene was such a doozie. While Paige telling was the big holy shit moment, the significance of the season ending on that shot of Elizabeth, keeping her in focus as Reagan declares the Union the "focus of evil in the modern world", her expression of pure rage, that can't be overstated. I think she's going to be a full-on antagonist by the time this show is over, and there's no scenario where Philip and Elizabeth are together at the end of it. It felt like a nightmare was being born.

I'm thinking Paige might eventually die and that will be the thing that divides Elizabeth and Philip for good.

I think the mere threat of Paige either dying or being turned against her will would do the trick.

This is back! Good premiere. I like that they make it clear that they're not paying off the biggest most urgent development from the finale just yet, and then immediately paid off one you figured would be a slow burn at the end. 

Tonight's episode possibly one of the series' best. Tension was drizzled over nearly the whole thing. And that ending with

a bullet being put in the head of Nina's story was legitimately shocking. Nina's been getting less and less screen time for over a full season now, and it was apparent that she was never going to get out of this situation (up until Oleg seemingly nearly did this very episode), but that didn't make her death any less jarring and sad. It took me a minute to realize that this wasn't another dream sequence. This is the biggest character death the show has had by a considerable margin. 

While her story over the past season and a quarter has literally framed her story as a dead end, I do think it'll end up playing a big role in the series in the future. I get the impression Nina's story was absorbed into Oleg's story, and Oleg's story is about to get a lot more time.

On the flip side, how amazing was it to see the Jennings family laughing it up at the bowling alley? I suspect that scene will be hard to watch one day, but for now, after this episode, I was just happy to see these people smile.