Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heldjc

The Americans

87 posts in this topic

Anyone else watching this on FX? Pretty cool concept about KGB spies living in America. Was iffy after seeing just the previews, but the fact that it's on FX lured me in. Pretty impressed so far and I can only see it getting better through out.

I recorded it.. havent watched it yet.. previews didn't show much, looked kind of interesting but still don't know what to think.

Got done watching the pilot. Good stuff. I was a little skeptical how they'd make Russian spies seem likable but they did a really good job of that. And the supporting cast with the scientist dude from the season 1 finale of The Walking Dead and the major from Jericho are solid additions to the cast. I hope they don't try to drag this out for too long though. This seems like a show that could have a really good two or three seasons and I hope they don't try to stretch it out for like 8 years.

I also like how they have kids. Really cool twist to the story. Great scene when the dad was doing the pledge of allegiance looking over at his son upset.

Been watching this... haven't seen the last 2 episodes now but i love the show so far! excited for what the season brings

This show has gotten progressively better as the season moves forward. Really excited for the finale this week.

This is easily the best new show this season. Like Pat said, it gets better and better as the seasons moves forward. Can't believe shit like Revolution gets all the best new show hype but a real good show like The Americans isn't talked about as much.

So this is back. A threesome AND a 69, both in the season premiere? Oh, that's so very FX.

Wow so you're all caught up already. I take it you liked season 1?

Great premiere tonight. That was shocking at the end seeing the family dead. Crazy. Keri Russell in that first sex scene also helped make this a great episode.

So apparently this has been pulling ratings along the lines of 0.4 and 0.5, which sounds... pretty low, though I'm not sure what's impressive or bad by cable standards. I really hope FX wouldn't cancel this, it's a show that's improving more and more as it goes on.

So apparently this has been pulling ratings along the lines of 0.4 and 0.5, which sounds... pretty low, though I'm not sure what's impressive or bad by cable standards. I really hope FX wouldn't cancel this, it's a show that's improving more and more as it goes on.ed

Wow.. I'm surprised by this. This is one of my favorite shows right now and I agree with you, the longer it goes on the more the plot develops. I feel like this season has developed really well with all the different perspectives.

So apparently this has been pulling ratings along the lines of 0.4 and 0.5, which sounds... pretty low, though I'm not sure what's impressive or bad by cable standards. I really hope FX wouldn't cancel this, it's a show that's improving more and more as it goes on.

Wow. I just assumed it was doing well. That sucks.

This has been a really slow season but the cracks are starting to show tonight. Phillip's teetering on the edge and Matthew Rhys is nailing it.

Also, show was officially renewed.

What have you thought of this season of The Americans? It's slow as all hell but lots of great stuff. Matthew Rhys knocked it out of the park a couple episodes ago (where Phillip was starting to lose it).

I don't think it's been as good as last season but it's still pretty solid. It's been fun to see Phillip slowly unravel and the stuff with Paige has been entertaining. I think they need to do a better job of explaining the story at times. It seems like on some occasions during missions I don't know what the hell is going on with the story. There's boring exposition beforehand and I just can't follow it. Maybe that's more my fault but it seems like they could do a better job of explaining things. It's tough for me to remember random characters that we saw once a year ago. Like that girl in the most recent episode for example. What was her name? Ana-Lee or something like that. Was that the girl Phillip was in love with who they have a kid together or something?

So that was a pretty fantastic finale. The cold open might've been my favorite the show's had yet, the confrontation with Larrick was super-tense, the twist with Jared was genuinely surprising and heartbreaking, and the seeds planted for next season... holy shit. At first it just seemed like an exciting episode to wrap up the season without much of a hook for next year, but then they met with their old handler and all that changed. The Jennings' relationship with the center looked like its days were numbered, and then it turned again and it went back to the initial conflict from the pilot between militant patriot Elizabeth and family man Phillip. Add Paige into the mix, with all of the development she's had this year, and shit's about to get real.

Conclusively, for the season as a whole, it was great. Less exciting than season one, but from a critical perspective, it blew away the first season. It was very slow and methodical, and didn't really bother holding your hand so you had to pay close attention and remember things (which I failed to do a fair amount), but the material was top notch. Lots of shows have slow burns, including my favorite ever Breaking Bad, but I think what made the slow-ness stand out was that the show wasn't really working toward any end-game. I mean they don't need to, since it's only the second season, but most of the plot advancement was centered on the ongoing war between the US and the Soviet Union. As opposed to the Jennings family's cover, relations, etc. You got a lot of Stan and Nina which ultimately just served to drive Stan to isolation and heartbreak going into season three, and introduce Oleg as a force on the Soviet side. You got a lot of speak about technology the countries were feuding over, which was usually what the Jennings were tasked with doing. Where the first season was focused on Phillip and Elizabeth's marriage, their cover, their relationship with the kids, etc, this was more focused on elements less vital to the series' narrative, like what the Americans are using for their stealth. So it's still strong TV, it just isn't quite as engaging. But the complete lack of threat to the Jennings family throughout the season made it hit that much harder when they find themselves in real danger in this finale, so it all pays off.

Also, this show has more sex crammed into it than any basic cable show I've seen since Rescue Me. Granted, it has a much better justification, since it's about spies and sex is part of their jobs, but still. FX got the booties!

The cold open might've been my favorite the show's had yet

I literally just got done watching the episode and I can't remember what the cold open was. What was it?

Overall I was pretty happy with the season. I thought the story was better and it was more entertaining in season 1 though. There was too much boring exposition in some season 2 episodes and I didn't know what the hell was going on. It took a while to build up but it ended really strong and I enjoyed the twist of Jared being the one to kill his parents...although the fact that he'd kill his own parents cause they lied to him is ridiculous and seems highly unlikely. Kate, Jared and his family seemed kinda pointless in the grand scheme of things...until you got to the ending of the episode and that really set the tone for season 3. It's gonna be very interesting seeing what happens to Paige. I'm glad the stuff with Nina is apparently over cause it was dragging along for most of the season. I look forward to Oleg possibly trying to get revenge on Stan. This show is sort of like 24 in the sense that it is serialized, but each season is sort of its own story and I think that works out well for this show. It allows them to build towards an exciting conclusion. I just hope in future seasons it doesn't come at the expense of somewhat boring early episodes.

I literally just got done watching the episode and I can't remember what the cold open was. What was it?

Overall I was pretty happy with the season. I thought the story was better and it was more entertaining in season 1 though. There was too much boring exposition in some season 2 episodes and I didn't know what the hell was going on. It took a while to build up but it ended really strong and I enjoyed the twist of Jared being the one to kill his parents...although the fact that he'd kill his own parents cause they lied to him is ridiculous and seems highly unlikely. Kate, Jared and his family seemed kinda pointless in the grand scheme of things...until you got to the ending of the episode and that really set the tone for season 3. It's gonna be very interesting seeing what happens to Paige. I'm glad the stuff with Nina is apparently over cause it was dragging along for most of the season. I look forward to Oleg possibly trying to get revenge on Stan. This show is sort of like 24 in the sense that it is serialized, but each season is sort of its own story and I think that works out well for this show. It allows them to build towards an exciting conclusion. I just hope in future seasons it doesn't come at the expense of somewhat boring early episodes.

The fact that he went off and killed his family was more on his parents not letting him be with Kate more so than the lying part, but I'm they both had parts in it. The only reason he went off on his sister is because she never would have let him get away with what he had just done. Atleast that's how I took it. As a whole I agree with Ruiner on both accounts, the finale and the season as a whole. It's a show that you really need to pay attention to in order to pick up on everything that is going on (especially since theres a lot of Russian being spoken). Much slower season, but at the same time there was so much depth to everything that was happening it was crazy. Paige is annoying that's for sure, but it will be interesting to see what happens to her next season.

I didn't think Paige was annoying at all. In fact, I think both of the Jennings kids are two of the better-written kid characters I've seen on TV. Compare that to the horrible writing for Carl on The Walking Dead.

I just couldn't stand all the little things that she was doing to get under her parents skin, but at the same time looking back at it I can see why a lot of kids that age would do the same thing when their parents are always acting so suspecious. All the stuff they have set up really makes me think that next season could be the best yet though, and they couldn't have done it without her being part of it.

I just couldn't stand all the little things that she was doing to get under her parents skin

She didn't do stuff to get under her parents skin. She's a child turning into an adult and she wants to do new things and find out who she is. She's a good kid and wasn't doing anything wrong. Her parents were just mad cause she saw through their bullshit.

Yeah, she's annoying in the sense that she's getting in the way of her parents' cool illegal Soviet espionage, but she's done very little wrong (giving that ludicrous amount of money to the church was stupid, but the kind of thing you can pardon as that minister clearly took advantage of her and she's still young). Her parents are being suspicious and giving her a hard time for wanting to go to church and be a normal, good kid trying to be a good adult. It's kind of a way at seeing how much of a dilemma these people have, trying to raise an American family as Russian spies, they really brought their children into a fucked up environment to grow up in, which requires them to constantly lie because the truth could destroy them.