Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

The Man Who Invented Metalcore

26 posts in this topic

Joey Sturgis is an American music producer currently located in Rochester Hills, MI. Roughly seven years ago he went from being a drummer who was producing for his band and others in their circle, to getting his hands on a group by the name of The Devil Wears Prada...and the rest is history. He's gone on to produce for them, Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack!, We Came As Romans, Of Mice and Men, I See Stars, and many more of the genre's biggest name. He's now known as one of the best producer's in the country and has arguably launched an entire scene into massive popularity. But that's not the end of the story for Mr. Sturgis. As it turns out, he's got plans to expand beyond the genre that made his career and become a fixture in active/radio rock. But really, why should I ramble on any further? This (to my knowledge) is the first ever one on one video interview he's ever done...and it was with me. Enjoy!

Metalcore has changed over time and not for the better. What is called and considered metalcore now wasnt called metalcore 10 and 20 years ago. To me metalcore peaked with Killswitch Engage, Alive or Just Breathing album and its been all down hill since then, See bands like Asking Alexandria and Bring Me the Horizon. Its now more about the neck tats ,full sleeve tattoos, skinny jeans, swooping bangs, and whiney clean vocals. The genre became bastadized as it got more and more popular. Surpise surpise.

Invented my fucking ass.

Ok, not metalcore in the broad sense. But the most recent, mainstream incarnation of it...care to make a case that that isn't mainly the creation of one dude? He produced practically all the big bands in that scene...

Hey Juggernaut please go back to your old name, The joke is over, old and tired.

It's no joke man. Due to circumstances, this is the way things are gonna be...forever.

I felt like the first post was not Juggz typing that. It felt like something you'd hear some automated voice message say while in an elevator or something.

Dude, I've done radio/press for almost five years. I can turn on the plug/bullshit machine with ease.

Ok, not metalcore in the broad sense. But the most recent, mainstream incarnation of it...care to make a case that that isn't mainly the creation of one dude? He produced practically all the big bands in that scene...

Metalcore bands Joey Sturgis was not involved with: Killswitch Engage, Atreyu, Bleeding Through, Bullet For My Valentine, Poison The Well, Darkest Hour, Eighteen Visions, All That Remains, Underoath, As I Lay Dying, It Dies Today, Bring Me The Horizon, Norma Jean, Converge, and I could keep on going if you want.

If you mean he's responsible for all the Rise and Sumerian metalcore bands, then fine, that appears to be the bulk of his track record. But don't say he invented metalcore, because that's insulting to all the bands that came before who he had nothing to do with. That's a slap in the face to their work.

Metalcore bands Joey Sturgis was not involved with: Killswitch Engage, Atreyu, Bleeding Through, Bullet For My Valentine, Poison The Well, Darkest Hour, Eighteen Visions, All That Remains, Underoath, As I Lay Dying, It Dies Today, Bring Me The Horizon, Norma Jean, Converge, and I could keep on going if you want.

If you mean he's responsible for all the Rise and Sumerian metalcore bands, then fine, that appears to be the bulk of his track record. But don't say he invented metalcore, because that's insulting to all the bands that came before who he had nothing to do with. That's a slap in the face to their work.

Then yes, like I just said, I meant the most recent incarnation of metalcore.

It's still a misnomer. That's my point.

Well I'm sorry to bug you, but I'm not listing all the breakout artists he produced/labels they're on. Would you prefer me to say "the biggest producer in Metalcore today" or is being subjective in any manner a cardinal sin?

Well I'm sorry to bug you, but I'm not listing all the... labels they're on.

You don't have to. I will. Rise and Sumerian. I mean, he basically works for Rise.

or is being subjective in any manner a cardinal sin?

I'll only accept it if you do it while wearing a baby bonnet and sucking on a pacifier.

Getting back to the focal point of this thread: I liked the interview.

Thanks man. It was a really interesting experience. Most of my experience with interviews involves a 10-20 minute window at a venue or over the phone to set up, do the interview, maybe take a picture or two, and then get rushed off to the next thing. With this, I was actually in his house for a good half hour at least hanging out with him and his fiancee and watching his engineer record some bass parts.

Pen's right, it was wrong for me to title this the way I did. It's not true...but neither is saying that he just produced the metalcore bands on Rise and Sumerian (We Came As Romans, Attila, and Emmure say otherwise). He's the guy that's produced the most recent, effects/bass heavy, pop-ish style of metalcore. But what I found really interesting is the fact that, in all honesty, he fucking hates it. He wants to get into active/mainstream rock sooooo bad. And whether or not you like the bands he produced, I guarantee you that he's one of, if not the best rock/metal producer out there. I've seen the difference in quality first hand and it's just unbelievable. If he ever got his hands on a band like Sevendust or Red, you guys would lose your shit.

Yeah, I was actually quite surprised to hear him say he wanted to get involved with more radio rock/metal bands; as well as push outside the genre as a whole. It would be very interesting to see who he works with int he coming year or so.

Yeah, I was actually quite surprised to hear him say he wanted to get involved with more radio rock/metal bands; as well as push outside the genre as a whole. It would be very interesting to see who he works with int he coming year or so.

Well the first active/radio rock band he's producing for is a local band from my neck of the woods called Rotation. I've known them for awhile and just heard the first song Joey has mixed for them about a week ago. Mark my words folks, if this man is serious about producing for the active rock scene, it's a damn good thing for all us. It could end up pumping some fresh blood into the genre and lead to the breakthrough of some of our favorite artists.

No one ever listens to you. You told Koldes to change his avatar and he didnt change it.

Yeah... that wasn't happening. The fact that my avatar got so much hatred and it's brought of a level of notoriety just reinforces how it needs to stay.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0