Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Movie Log

1,759 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I just saw it. It was okay. 

Reveal hidden contents

The real question is are we the victims of an unreliable narrator? 

This isn't a movie, but I finished the new season of Jessica Jones last night.

Spoiler

It was really good but awfully bittersweet.

Hogarth gets righteous revenge and now has her own law firm away from her duplicitous associates, but still is suffering from ALS with no idea how long she has.

Jessica loses her mother and her friendships with Patsy and Malcolm, but at least still has a stable relationship with Oscar that seems to leave her in a place bordering on good.

Trish may finally have the powers she always wanted judging from her new lightning-fast reflexes, but it came at the cost of her friendship with Jessica and she has to live with the fact that she killed Jessica's mother.

Malcolm is moving up in the world now that he's joined with Pryce and is working under Hogarth, but it still sucks that his friendship/partnership with Jessica is over and I'm reasonably certain his relationship with Trish is also over seeing as how she had him knocked out and tied up in a trunk.

Basically, everyone has something good going for them by the end, but at the cost of other things. Can't have your cake and eat it too, I suppose. People are pointing out that it's a lot like how Daredevil was left at the end of his Season 2, with his friendships also left on the outs.

I also hate that Simpson died early on in the season as I liked his character from Season 1 and wanted him to have a larger role than he had. I never thought he'd become the Nuke from the comics, but I wanted to see him redeem himself more and work with Jessica. Unfortunately, we can't have nice things.

I find it interesting that this season had no real clear-cut villains, as Malus was mainly an affable guy with some misguided science but who truly loved Jessica's mother and eventually realized that his work had to be destroyed at the cost of his life. Jessica's mother, while a murderer, was also brain damaged and not in control of her actions, which made it heartbreaking when she finally realized she had to be put down so that Jessica wouldn't destroy her own life trying to save her.

All in all, a pretty heavy season that I thought was really well done and has me looking forward to whatever comes next in Season 3, should it be announced. Hoping Trish finally makes the transition to Hellcat, now that she has powers. I'm also interested to see if and how Jessica, Malcolm, and Trish rebuild their relationships with each other.

Finally, the one issue I have with this season is that they more or less hyped up Kilgrave returning this season and I kind of knew it was going to more or less by a hallucination, but I was disappointed that it turned out only to be for one episode. Hearing Jessica banter with the Kilgrave inside her head was entertaining and I would've liked to have seen more of it, if only because David Tennant is so ridiculously entertaining when he's chewing the scenery. Having it be for one episode, I feel like they might as well have done without it and tried to truly put Kilgrave behind both Jessica and the show.

Anyway, that's my take on this season for the most part. Bring on Luke Cage Season 2!

I watched Blade Runner 2049 again. I've been reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? lately and watching this it occurred to me that, writing-wise neither of these movies have shit on that book, which is kind of distracting and at times cheapens the deal, mainly during parts where the writing threatens to get clichéd. 

But holy hell, what a beautiful movie. That climax in the car, even on repeat viewings, makes my hair stand up, barely able to contain my nerding out. Fucking perfect bit of filmmaking there. 

Planet Earth II on Netflix:

cocaine.gif

HOW did I just now watch this? This is some of the coolest, most breathtaking bit of filmmaking I've ever seen, it's in the tippity top one percent. The footage is nothing short of mind-boggling, the editing is worth guaranteed entry into heaven for all involved, I am not being even a little bit hyperbolic here. 

Everybody should watch this. I don't care how little interest in nature documentaries you may think you have, this is so far beyond what you might see on NatGeo. 

Deadpool 2 was great. It was everything you want it to be and so much more. One of the most common things I saw about it was that the trailers were even more misleading than Infinity Wars and they were. Outside of Deadpool and Cable and their frenemy relationship, nothing goes how you expect. The jokes are on point and there a ton of them. The action is great and the studio giving them a budget was probably the best thing they could have done. I expect this to be the highest grossing R movie of all time. It's that good.

I watched Killer Klowns from Outer Space over the weekend on tv for the umpteenth time. It came out in 1988 so this year is actually the 30th anniversary and it did get a new BluRay a few months ago. This is a sci fi classic, folks. Yes it did have a low budget for its time but what they were able to do FX wise with it was absolutely amazing. Its a highly entertaining film. Its one of those rare PG-13 movies that feels like a R rated movie. They really did push the PG-13 rating and got away with a lot. Horror-comedy is a tough genre to get right but they totally got it right, here. You can bash it as cheesy all you want but its fun and entertaining and it delivers what it set out to do. A potential sequel never materialized but I wouldnt be shocked if there was a remake eventually.

Watched Infinity War today--it was pretty good. 

- not sure I'd watch a whole movie about just him, but Dr. Strange was badass. Would definitely not mind him as a major player in the team-up movies. 

- Iron Man's tech is getting absolutely absurd. Dude's got missiles, fire beams, a jet engine, healing adhesives, some shit that freezes in holes in structures, all built into a suit that literally materializes over his body. He basically has to only be in the big Avengers team-up movies now because what other than an Omega-level threat could possibly be an issue for him? 

- what the hell is up with Hulk? Is there a reason Bruce Banner randomly had a crisis of confidence in the biggest movie of the franchise? 

- Everything with Gamora was real good, as was everything with Thanos. Excellent villain. If she wasn't dead, I'd totally be into her being the one to eventually put him down. 

- Quill on the other hand really got cranked up to eleven in this one to the point of being unlikable. The facial hair tells me this was a conscious decision. 

- I've only seen a bit of Vision before and his back story completely eludes me, but I'm glad he got killed off, presumably for good, dude was boring as shit. And OP too. 

- this was an issue in The Force Awakens too, but the snark really needs to be dialed back. The smart-ass-to-straight man ratio is way off. We've got Quill, Stark, Spidey, Drax, and Rocket doing the wiseass thing, do we need Strange, Black Widow, Loki, and Thor doing it too? Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen it but I swear the first Avengers struck much more of a balance here. 

- they should really consider adding a Star Wars-style exposition scroll at the beginning of these. I understand not wanting to waste screentime on stuff much of the audience has already seen, but surely they're aware that at least a solid chunk of the audience for main Avengers movies doesn't see watch every single MCU movie when there's like four of them in a year. Obviously I'll have to pick up on some stuff the hard way, but opening the movie with Thor and Loki already at the mercy of Thanos was... disorienting. 

- the ending, for however obvious it may be that almost nobody is going to permanently dead, was really well done. As is often argued on here, it's still real to the surviving characters and they use that to their advantage. 

- I can say I'll very likely watch the sequel to this and Captain Marvel, if only because I'm jazzed to see Brie Larson in the lead for a superhero flick. I'm somewhat invested now and do want to see how this all plays out. 

***3/4

4 hours ago, Ruiner II said:

- what the hell is up with hulk? Is there a reason Bruce Banner randomly had a crisis of confidence in the biggest movie of the franchise? 

- I've only seen a bit of Vision before and his back story completely eludes me, but I'm glad he got killed off, presumably for good, dude was boring as shit. And OP too.

I don't know if you saw Ragnarok, but basically the bottom line is that Hulk has a separate personality to Banner, and he's tired of only coming out when Banner wants him to hit stuff. It's not a crisis of confidence, it's open defiance. 

From a creative standpoint, the Russos have said that Ragnarok is Hulk's movie, Infinity belongs to Banner, and the next Avengers will wrap up the arc between the two. 

As for Vision, I thought his death was immensely heartbreaking, maybe partially cause I'm invested in his romance with Scarlet Witch from the comics, and I'm trying very hard to respect your opinion and not write it off as mean crotchety words that must belong to a Grinch-like figure.

As you can tell, it's somewhat difficult. 

2 hours ago, pen said:

I don't know if you saw Ragnarok, but basically the bottom line is that Hulk has a separate personality to Banner, and he's tired of only coming out when Banner wants him to hit stuff. It's not a crisis of confidence, it's open defiance. 

From a creative standpoint, the Russos have said that Ragnarok is Hulk's movie, Infinity belongs to Banner, and the next Avengers will wrap up the arc between the two. 

As for Vision, I thought his death was immensely heartbreaking, maybe partially cause I'm invested in his romance with Scarlet Witch from the comics, and I'm trying very hard to respect your opinion and not write it off as mean crotchety words that must belong to a Grinch-like figure.

As you can tell, it's somewhat difficult. 

Oh his death was extremely sad and well done, I just meant bigger picture, I'm up for not having any more of his stories. I wasn't cheering his death or anything. 

19 minutes ago, Ruiner II said:

Oh his death was extremely sad and well done, I just meant bigger picture, I'm up for not having any more of his stories. I wasn't cheering his death or anything. 

Then you haven't had the experience of John Byrne's Vision Quest or Tom King's Vision standalone series.

21 minutes ago, pen said:

Then you haven't had the experience of John Byrne's Vision Quest or Tom King's Vision standalone series.

You are correct, sir. 

On 8/29/2018 at 4:32 AM, Ruiner II said:

1. not sure I'd watch a whole movie about just him, but Dr. Strange was badass.

2. I've only seen a bit of Vision before and his back story completely eludes me, but I'm glad he got killed off, presumably for good, dude was boring as shit. And OP too. 

3. The smart-ass-to-straight man ratio is way off. Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen it but I swear the first Avengers struck much more of a balance here. 

4. they should really consider adding a Star Wars-style exposition scroll at the beginning of these. Obviously I'll have to pick up on some stuff the hard way, but opening the movie with Thor and Loki already at the mercy of Thanos was... disorienting. 

1. I didn't really like his movie at all but I will also admit that he was really good in this new movie. And he had a really cool line: "we're in the endgame now." Right when he said that I was convinced the next Avengers title is going to be Avengers: Endgame. I'm not sure if anyone has asked the Russo's if the title of Avengers 4 was spoken in Avengers 3 but I'm sure if they were being honest their answer would be yes.

2. His backstory in the movies was confusing, he's overpowered and he's extremely boring. I've very glad he's dead. Another boring character who was introduced in Avengers 2 was Scarlet Witch and her and her disappearing Russian accent, waving magic hands and generic abilities can be dead and I'd be happy.

3. One very refreshing thing about Black Panther was that it didn't try to rip off GOTG with a joke a second like some new things like Ragnarok were doing. In a way it felt like an MCU Phase 1 movie.

4. I think when Civil War came out the Russo's said that they're not going to be keep doing what is basically a "previously on the MCU" at the beginning of each movie. Think of the MCU as a show and compare its phases and movies to seasons and episodes. The new Avengers movie is basically season 3, episode 7. You can't expect them to spend 20 minutes recapping everything for newcomers. I never saw Wonder Woman but before I saw Justice League I went on Wikipedia and read the entire story for her movie so I'd know what went down. That might be a good thing to do to quickly get caught up without wasting two hours watching some movies you don't care about seeing. And the ending to the last Thor movie simply showed a ship approaching the ship Thor was on. Seeing the beginning of the new Avengers was basically like the entire audience joined in the middle of the movie. It was weird. It's like they didn't have time to show the entire encounter. Seeing every previous movie gave returning viewers no advanced knowledge as to what was happening on that ship.

I don't know if I've said it here, but if the title of the next one isn't Avengers Forever I may never forgive them.

Also they don't need a scroll at the beginning of the movie, that's just ridiculous.

I saw the new Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary that came out last month. Lots of cool, old footage that I hadn't seen before and it doesn't focus much on what happened after the plane crash so its more of a celebration of the original band. So yeah, check it out if you are a fan of music documentaries like I am.

I saw The Predator last weekend. What a sucky movie. The action was really good and it was cool seeing more of the technology and story of the aliens but the whole thing was propostorious. The story was mostly nonsense, the humor was dreadful and the characters were awful even for an action blockbuster. 

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I saw The Predator last weekend. What a sucky movie. The action was really good and it was cool seeing more of the technology and story of the aliens but the whole thing was propostorious. The story was mostly nonsense, the humor was dreadful and the characters were awful even for an action blockbuster. 

Preposterous, even.

I just saw Venom. I liked it a lot more than the reviewers did. I don't think it's fair that it has to get compared to the MCU movies. That would be like comparing every action movie to Die Hard or T2. And it is very odd that Venom's RT percentage is 50-60% lower than junk like Ant-Man 1 and Doctor Strange.

One thing that pissed me off about this movie though is that I wasted ten minutes during the credits just to see Sony plug their animated Spider-Man movie.