Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Movie Log

1,677 posts in this topic

Yep, Thor was fantastic.

Spoiler

Curious how Agard being destroyed affects Thor's powers, if at all? Doesn't he rely on Asgard to have his powers, or is it why they kept referring to Asgard as a people, not a place?

Agreed w/ the Doctor Strange cameo bit, that was fantastic even if it was a bit short. Speaking of cameos, they did a great job w/ Stan Lee's as well as the barber. Goldlbum was the perfect fit for Grandmaster. Hela was a pretty okay villain, with an intriguing back story at least. My only real gripes were some of the comedy bits were a bit on the nose (though I suppose that's pretty typical and I was probably laughing out loud the most at this movie than many other Marvel movies), and Valkyrie's just coincidental back story and appearance where Thor/Hulk are is awfully convenient, but I don't take that too seriously given that it is a comic book movie. :)

Definitely curious if we'll see Banner again, but I hope so. Funny bits with him dressed as Tony for sure there. I'd say I think I liked this movie over Guardians 2 tbh.

The shitty fellow movie watcher crowd I had to endure, however, wasn't fantastic.

Spoiler

I don't know that they need Asgard to provide powers. That's never been stated in the films to my knowledge. I mean, it wouldn't just mean Thor losing his thunder, but Loki losing his magic and Heimdall losing his abilities. I doubt that they'd build something like that into the storyline.

Goldblum was a fucking treasure as Grandmaster and I want him and Benecio Del Toro's Collector to meet up at some point since they're brothers in the comics and presumably in the movies as well.

I know some criticism has been levied at the movie being too comedic at times, but I'm not sure I agree. They did have a habit of trying to temper serious moments with some kind of joke like Thor with the chain at the start of the movie and later on with the ball bouncing off the window and hitting him in the head, but I dig what they were going for. Not everything has to be super serial.

I am a little disappointed that Surtur wasn't really anything more than a plot device, but I thought the use of him was interesting and I'm curious, now that Asgard is destroyed, does Surtur have a purpose anymore? I'm wondering if he'll come back in a future movie...

Also, disappointed slightly by how Skurge was used. Karl Urban had some good Skurge moments, but in the end he was killed without any fanfare and that's mainly cause he didn't really interact with a lot of the other characters. It's a shame, because for the character his sacrifice was a turning point, but no one else in the movie would notice that. I'm also disappointed he's dead because if they choose to introduce the villain Enchantress at any point, she won't have Skurge as her partner in crime.

Last nitpick, I'm a little disappointed they only mentioned Jane Foster in a throwaway line. Mainly cause some articles are pointing out that if a civilian on the street knows about their breakup then there may be an interesting or at least highly publicized story about that which we don't get. Then again, nothing is stopping Portman from returning in a future movie similar to Paltrow, so I guess it's all good.

These are minor quibbles though. Very fun movie; would watch again.

Love how Odin wasn't even mad about Loki banishing him to Earth and taking his place; Odin was just like "Good job, son."