Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Movie Log

1,669 posts in this topic

Wonder Woman is definitely the best DCU movie but also still not quite a great superhero movie.  Good though, big step forward for them.

Just saw Pirates. It was okay. I was having second thoughts about seeing it before I went but decided to just go through with it. I'm not much of a fan of the franchise. The first and fourth movies were okay but I hated the second and third ones. This one started off pretty good. The villains were cool, the story was easier to follow than previous installments, the action was fun, new characters were likable and it was funny. Things started to go off the rails a little near the end as the story started to remind me of the older movies that I hated. I felt like the movie went about 30 minutes too long as well. Somewhat decent movie I guess. I think I'm done with Pirates of the Caribbean movies now.

I will give this movie credit for introducing me to the ravishing Kaya Scodelario.

Baby Driver: totally awesome, but I will break up the deserved universal glowing praise by saying that I felt kind of let down by the final act. When I realized we were in the endgame, I was kind of like "wait, this is it?". What came before was so batshit intense that I think it deserved more of a climax than what we got, which is enough for Get Out to still be my number one for the year. 

Still, really great movie though. Edgar Wright power rankings:

1. Hot Fuzz

2a. Baby Driver

2b. Shaun of the Drad

4. The World's End

5. Scott Pilgrim vs the World

What a resume. 

I loved Get Out, but Baby Driver definitely took the cake for me.  Also, I find it to be in a completely different league than any of Wright's other films.

I'm one of the unique few who has Shaun at the bottom of the Wright pile, but I think that's the only film I have Baby Driver over right now.  That could definitely change though, as you haven't really watched a Wright movie until you've seen it at least twice.

Either way every movie he's ever made is a nine at the worst so I don't mean to sleight it at all by saying it's not among my favorites by him.

Hot Fuzz > Scott Pilgrim > The World's End > Baby Driver > Shaun of the Dead - For the record

I might be underrating The World's End, which I only saw a couple times. Really the only one I'd have BD head and shoulders over is Scott Pilgrim at the moment. The more I sit on it, the more I appreciate how strong Pegg and Frost's characters were in their movies and the emotional core they provided. Baby was certainly interesting, but I don't think his arc had close to the same weight that Simon Pegg's did in any of the movies he starred in. 

All in with Andrew on Hot Fuzz being his masterpiece, though. 

This little fella might help you if you wanna appreciate The World's End a bit more.  It's certainly the dark horse of the trilogy and I think the most nuanced in terms of what actually makes it so outstanding, but it's damn impressive the more you think about it, like all of his movies.

This isn't a movie as such, but I just got done watching the first four episode season of Castlevania on Netflix and holy shit it is much better than I ever expected it to be. Sucks that it only lasts four episodes though and ends just when things start to come together, but on the other hand, Season 2 has already been greenlit and it will be 8 episodes this time. Unfortunately, it won't be out until next year. Waiting is so hard...

Also a minor quibble but since they're following the plot of Castlevania III, I'm a little annoyed they didn't introduce Grant this season since they introduced Sypha and Alucard. I hope Grant still shows up just to keep true to the mythos.

I saw Spider-Man: Homecoming last night.  One of my favorite films in the MCU.  It has the same light, humorous style like Ant Man did (which is another of my favorites).  Definitely one to see in theaters.  Vulture was were badass!

Spoiler

Captain America trolls the hell outta us in a post credit scene.

Just saw War for the Planet of the Apes. This was unlike any summer blockbuster I can ever remember seeing. There is action but this is by no means an action movie. There are character and story developments that evolve in ways that you don't see coming. Andy Serkis was brilliant yet again and it's a damn shame these joke award shows don't recognize his skills. The Marvel Cinematic Universe can release another 50 movies and other blockbusters can come and go as well and you won't find a character even close to as memorable as Caesar. Go see this movie!

My sister, who I would like to move to another continent and I'd like to never see again, had a bunch of people over the house today. My parents refused to let me shut the basement door so instead of these people using the upstairs bathroom, they'd all be coming in my basement to go to the bathroom. Instead of having to greet and introduce myself to all of these people like I'm the fucking door person at Costco still, I just went out to kill time after work until they were gone. Even though I've worked six straight days this week and simply wanted to come home and relax privately in my mancave, that wasn't fucking possible so I went to the movies. The three movies I was considering seeing were Valerian, Dunkirk and Atomic Blonde. Valerian was the one I wanted to see the most (although I wasn't planning on seeing it in theaters and might have never seen it), Atomic Blonde looked the best and Dunkirk was probably the best movie of the three. Valerian started 30 minutes earlier than the other two so I saw that.

What an awful, awful movie. Dane DeHaan was horribly miscast in this. The main character is some Han Solo-type and they cast a guy who plays a bullied, social outcast in movies to play this ladies man badass who is dating a supermodel. Cara Delevingne is very hot but she's not much of an actress. They shamelessly shoved Rihanna down our throats for a few minutes just because she's Rihanna and needed her screen time to dance. She was eventually revealed to be this bubbly weird-looking alien but she still talked exactly like human Rihanna. The story didn't interest me much. The dialogue was quite awful at times. For example..."You're late." Followed by... "Times flies when you're having fun." There was one point near the beginning where some soldiers are helping the good guys on a flying bus thing and some monster comes and the heroes escape. The soldiers with them apparently got eaten alive but that didn't stop the heroes from cracking jokes seconds later when they escaped the bus. The visuals were very impressive and that was the only good thing about this unnecessarily long and sucky movie.

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

My sister, who I would like to move to another continent and I'd like to never see again, had a bunch of people over the house today. My parents refused to let me shut the basement door so instead of these people using the upstairs bathroom, they'd all be coming in my basement to go to the bathroom. Instead of having to greet and introduce myself to all of these people like I'm the fucking door person at Costco still, I just went out to kill time after work until they were gone. Even though I've worked six straight days this week and simply wanted to come home and relax privately in my mancave, that wasn't fucking possible so I went to the movies. The three movies I was considering seeing were Valerian, Dunkirk and Atomic Blonde. Valerian was the one I wanted to see the most (although I wasn't planning on seeing it in theaters and might have never seen it), Atomic Blonde looked the best and Dunkirk was probably the best movie of the three. Valerian started 30 minutes earlier than the other two so I saw that.

What an awful, awful movie. Dane DeHaan was horribly miscast in this. The main character is some Han Solo-type and they cast a guy who plays a bullied, social outcast in movies to play this ladies man badass who is dating a supermodel. Cara Delevingne is very hot but she's not much of an actress. They shamelessly shoved Rihanna down our throats for a few minutes just because she's Rihanna and needed her screen time to dance. She was eventually revealed to be this bubbly weird-looking alien but she still talked exactly like human Rihanna. The story didn't interest me much. The dialogue was quite awful at times. For example..."You're late." Followed by... "Times flies when you're having fun." There was one point near the beginning where some soldiers are helping the good guys on a flying bus thing and some monster comes and the heroes escape. The soldiers with them apparently got eaten alive but that didn't stop the heroes from cracking jokes seconds later when they escaped the bus. The visuals were very impressive and that was the only good thing about this unnecessarily long and sucky movie.

Yeah definitely went the wrong way on that call.

But for one specific talking point, that thing about Dane Dehaan, I've noticed a lot of movies trying to make gifted guys with some momentum happen as Hollywood leading men types and it just isn't happening. Miles Teller is another example. Great example of producers being tone deaf trying to find the next big thing instead of just making the movie work.

(and that's nothing against Dane Dehaan and Miles Teller, who are fine actors)

14 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Yeah definitely went the wrong way on that call.

Well like I said, it started 30 minutes earlier and I was already waiting a little while anyways so I didn't want to wait any longer. If all three movies started at the same time I probably would've seen Dunkirk.

14 hours ago, Ruiner said:

(and that's nothing against Dane Dehaan and Miles Teller, who are fine actors)

Yes I do want to add that my complaints were with the casting of DeHaan, not his acting or him personally.

I saw The Dark Tower today and sadly it sucked. My anticipation for this movie was very high about a year ago and dropped more and more as time went on and bad reviews and bad trailers started popping up. There was some good about it. Matthew McConaughey was mostly solid (although not as good as I was expecting), Idris Elba was great, the action wasn't anything revolutionary but it was enjoyable to see and the movie was probably in NYC about 60% of the time which is good considering I thought the vast majority of this would be in New York and I liked how they spend time in the place where the two leads were from. The movie was also only about 90 minutes which was good. I was afraid with all of the books this was based on they'd make this some 3-hour universe building marathon of a movie.

So even though Elba and McConaughey got top billing, the dumb kid character that I didn't give two shits about was essentially the star of the movie and got the most screen-time. That was my biggest complaint. They also didn't spend any time explaining McConaughey's character's backstory and they spent very little time with Elba's past. And seeing as how the movie was so short, they could've added a little more. I'm assuming they purposely left out backstory because it will be explained in the TV show...assuming that ever gets made.

15 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

How many easter eggs did you spot ?

Without looking at that article, the only reference I noticed was the number 1408 on something. I haven't seen/read many Stephen King things so I wouldn't get most of the references.

2 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

You didnt see the woman walking "Cujo" in the street or the kid playing with the "Christine" car ?

I don't think him seeing them is the problem so much as recognizing.