Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Movie Log

1,685 posts in this topic

Went to the Guilt trip this weekend... it was a pretty good movie, wasn't overly hilarious but had quiet a few good laughs, i would check it out.. 7/10

Django Unchained - 8/10

Ran a little bit too long. Like most of Tarantino's movies, it's a little too proud of itself sometimes and drags some stuff out longer than it should. That said, like most of Tarantino's movies, it's also very smart and wildly entertaining. See it for Waltz and Leo alone (and Foxx is pretty damn good too).

The Last Stand: I wasn't really expecting much anyways from the shitty trailers but for Arnold's first movie back this was still a disappointment. I'll rate it a 6/10 but I was hoping for at least a 7/10. Arnold was great and his acting was better than in Expendables 2 when he seemed a bit rusty. They were smart with the action and made Arnold act sort of his age and he wasn't running around like Commando but he still kicked plenty of ass and was definitely the best part of the movie. The action was solid and it was wonderful seeing some R-rated action for a change. The supporting cast was okay with Johnny Knoxville probably being the best, surprisingly. The first half of the movie was very slow-paced which dragged it down a lot. This was a harmless, decent, formulaic action movie and a good first movie back for Arnold but my expectations are definitely higher for his next movie, The Tomb.

Nothing surprising about Johnny Knoxville being good.

I'm either seeing Django again or Silver Linings Playbook tomorrow. Main problem is my dad seems to think for some reason that SLP is a chick flick and really wants to see Mama which I don't care for at all.

See Django. SLP was not as good as the award shows are leading people to believe.

No it was actually really awesome. I'd recommend it over Django, but I know how hot you are for Tarantino, so I'd go that route.

Also was Johnny Knoxville just awesome in something I never saw or what? I don't know where this idea that he's good at anything is coming from.

He's just a naturally funny guy. I've never seen any dramatic or impressive roles from him, but as a comic relief character he delivers.

I have been looking forward to SLP for a while, and I expect to put it under Django, I have already seen Django.

But my dad seems totally uninterested in seeing it. If we don't agree on anything we'll probably go with a movie that we are moderately interested in like This is 40 or Zero Dark Thirty.

what was so awesome about it? Deniro was the best part of the film, and even his parts were few and far between. I'm in no way saying it's a bad movie, but it is in no way Oscar contender worthy with the other films out

Well for one, it's really well written. It's one of the smarter screenplays of the year, and it does a really nice job with it's bleak humor from time to time. Not only that but it's a very real portrayal of bipolar disorder as I'm aware of it, and Cooper's performance as such is fucking lights out. He and Lawrence are really captivating in it, in my personal opinion, and I think each has a lot of character depth that a lot of actors wouldn't have picked up on like they did. The direction is superb, there isn't a second wasted on filler or self-indulgence (something Django really could have taken a page from), and it has plenty of little twists and turns to keep it from being too predictable, something many romance movies suffer from.

I mean I could go on, but really it all boils down to opinions past that. I'm just happy many critics see it the way I do and not as you do, because it's easily one of the very best movies I've seen this year and I will be thrilled if it does well on the awards circuit.

My only issue with Django was the way the last 15 minutes or so

after the big shootout and death of the main villain along with one of the protagonists

went on with the last part of the story and it was a bit of an awkward pace. It should have either been a good bit longer to add more to the final act and make it feel less like a detached epilogue or the movie should have been shorter and ended with the shootout only the outcome would obviously be different. That's what kept from being quite on the level of Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, or Basterds (all of which are in my Top 10 movies ever) but not from being the best movie I've seen from last year.

btw, if you're familiar with bipolar as you say you are, then you should know that "bipolar" doesn't mean "retarded" or "dense" or "ignorant."

the way he kept chasing after her

after he walked in on her fucking another guy in their shower, beat the shit out of the guy and went to an institution for doing so

is a little bit too much for me (ESPECIALLY considering the fact he had a chic as hot as JLaw all on his balls) and why i don't classify the script as "smart" as you do. when i think "smart screenplay" i think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

but like you said, opinions. ultimately, I'm more just upset that you just ran all over Django bc I was just about to start watching it for the first time

I haven't seen it obviously, but the part you put in spoilers is all in the trailer.

I haven't seen it obviously, but the part you put in spoilers is all in the trailer.

lol what're you doing reading the spoilers. you're the only person i was worried about ruining something for.

ruiner

Dude I didn't run all over Django. I thought Django was a great fucking movie. I just think it's a weaker movie than Silver Linings, and suffers from some problems that SLP does not have. If your big problem with the movie is that you just don't think the flawed protagonist is believable that's your prerogative, but it's not uncommon for someone with mental illness to display many of the same characteristics.

anyone seen Skyfall? do i need to have seen a Bond movie recently or know much about Bond at all to enjoy/understand?

anyone seen Skyfall? do i need to have seen a Bond movie recently or know much about Bond at all to enjoy/understand?

I saw it. Still debating with myself if it was better than The Avengers as the best movie last year. You don't need to have seen any Bond movie to know what's going on.

okay, how about The Avengers. I've only seen Iron Man 1 & 2. Do I need to see all of the others?

okay, how about The Avengers. I've only seen Iron Man 1 & 2. Do I need to see all of the others?

You probably don't need to see them but I'd highly recommend seeing them all. I'd go in chronological order of release...

1. Iron Man

2. The Incredible Hulk

3. Iron Man 2

4. Thor

5. Captain America

6. The Avengers

See the end credits in all of them.

The Avengers will probably be a better experience if you're more familiar with the characters ahead of time, but I think you'd be fine watching it without the previous background.

In terms of importance though, you might wanna knock out Thor beforehand, as the film's major villain is introduced in that movie.

Agreed. I haven't seen anything except Iron Man 1 & 2 and was a bit confused at first for awhile in regards to the villain especially.

Agreed. I haven't seen anything except Iron Man 1 & 2 and was a bit confused at first for awhile in regards to the villain especially.

Dear God man. What are you waiting for?

The Avengers was an awesome movie. But the best part of it was the years of anticipation, and the story that was built by seeing all of the movies prior. Even if you only get that story in about a week, it still will make the movie that much more enjoyable if you see all the others.

I saw it. Still debating with myself if it was better than The Avengers as the best movie last year. You don't need to have seen any Bond movie to know what's going on.

Ad much as I love Bond (And I do, very much) I don't think any movie can be better than The Avengers. The Avengers was a movie that didn't need any backstory. You didn't need to know who anyone was or where they came from, because you (most likely) have already seen the other movies. The movie basically focused on action and it delivered.

I watched the film again after I saw it in theaters and it was still as awesome as the first time I saw it. Some movies just can't deliver like that anymore. The Avengers was perfect. It really was.

To actually watch the movie though, the only one you really have to watch is Thor. Because his actions make more sense, imo, if you've watched Thor.

Also, sadly I did not see Skyfall in theaters (which I really REALLY wanted to) due to friends not being excited for it after Quantum of Solace, and none of them actually took an interest in the movie because of QoS (it angers me).