Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucas

Got (College Basketball) News

128 posts in this topic

Figured there should be one for basketball since it's starting up. I'm not sure if many of you guys following college ball or not, but today is the 24 hour tip-off marathon on ESPN and there's been some surprisingly good games. UMass won on a last second 3 pointer after they had been down 3 just shortly before.

I'm excited about the Duke vs. Kentucky game (http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/its-duke-vs-kentucky-in-glamour-showdown/nS5Pk/) as they have not played since Dec. 2011, almost 11 years ago. That's a long time for top tier basketball teams to go IMO. I unfortunately won't get to see it, though.

Figured there should be one for basketball since it's starting up. I'm not sure if many of you guys following college ball or not, but today is the 24 hour tip-off marathon on ESPN and there's been some surprisingly good games. UMass won on a last second 3 pointer after they had been down 3 just shortly before.

I'm excited about the Duke vs. Kentucky game (http://www.ajc.com/n...showdown/nS5Pk/) as they have not played since Dec. 2011, almost 11 years ago. That's a long time for top tier basketball teams to go IMO. I unfortunately won't get to see it, though.

a preview of a Final Four or even a National title game

Exactly. I hope for Duke to do better than a one-and-done playoff trip this year. That 15 seed defeat still hurts. I like UK, too, since they're really the only viable SEC basketball team for now haha. I'm hoping my Hogs can show an improvement this year with some more seasoned players and very promising young guys.

Exactly. I hope for Duke to do better than a one-and-done playoff trip this year. That 15 seed defeat still hurts. I like UK, too, since they're really the only viable SEC basketball team for now haha. I'm hoping my Hogs can show an improvement this year with some more seasoned players and very promising young guys.

let's not forget about Florida

let's not forget about Florida

That's true, IDK why I forget about them. I guess they're not a big name most years like UK seems to be. They did make the Elite 8 though last season. I guess it's stupid since they did win the NC in 2007. They had a few meh years after that, though.

I absolutely follow college hoops, I actually like watching Big Ten Men's basketball more than I like Big Ten football. Just something for people to watch for, John Belien has done such an insane job at the University of Michigan, I was initially skeptical of their #5 ranking but dayumn, after watching them treat Kenpom's #84 like a division two school, I can safely say this is the best Michigan team since the fab five.

Also, since I just mentioned Kenpom, here is the crazy accurate and somewhat simple algorithm's rankings http://kenpom.com/.

Nice! That's a cool site/resource, Mich. I think you're right about Michigan. I am afraid we play them in a few weeks and it's going to hurt to watch I'm sure.

I know I'll sound like a homer when I say this, but Gonzaga looks as good as I have ever seen them. They beat West Virginia pretty bad yesterday by a score of 84-50 and looked awfully impressive. Their defense has improved drastically since last season and they have a 7'1" freshman center from Poland who will be a force down low. I am super excited to see how their season goes and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 10 in the nation at some point this season.

That's true, IDK why I forget about them. I guess they're not a big name most years like UK seems to be. They did make the Elite 8 though last season. I guess it's stupid since they did win the NC in 2007. They had a few meh years after that, though.

They also had Brad Beal last year...and though they still have Patric Young I really don't know anything about this year's team.

Good win for Duke, I'm a UNC fan but I always find myself rooting for Duke when we're not playing them. I like when we're both ranked high when we play.

Dude I'm fucking jacked about that win yesterday. Things are looking good for Duke despite not being able to hold onto big players lately.

Next year's top 3 prospects - Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, and Julius Randle - are considering UNC, Duke, and State respectively; all likely one and dones but it would make for an exciting year of basketball here in NC.

Next year's top 3 prospects - Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, and Julius Randle - are considering UNC, Duke, and State respectively; all likely one and dones but it would make for an exciting year of basketball here in NC.

Honestly I really hate one and done players, so as much as I'd like that kind of talent on the Duke roster, I'd prefer they go and get guys like Scheyer, Singler and Redick who will stay in it for the long haul. It's guys like that that won Duke a championship, not Irving or Rivers.

Yeah I agree, I wish the NBA would've upped the age restriction to 20 during the lockout, but oh well. Rivers probably should've stayed another year...but then again Barnes kinda hurt his stock by doing so. Really puts these guys in a tough spot.

This recruiting stuff is amazing to me, ESPN has the top 25 recruits from the class of 2015 (!) on their website. Karl Towns, Jr. is a sophomore in high school with offers to play at Kentucky, UNC, UConn, Florida, NC State, Syracuse, Baylor, Michigan State and several more.

Good win for Duke, I'm a UNC fan but I always find myself rooting for Duke when we're not playing them. I like when we're both ranked high when we play.

Best damn rivalry in College ball.

Ohio State just HAD to go and piss away that game down the stretch and ruin the one, two, three for the Big Ten. Good game though.

Agreed. Craft just didn't perform to his level. They're young though, so I know things will get extremely interesting down the stretch. If only Burke came to Ohio State with Sullinger.. haha

Craft just didn't perform to his level.

I thought he did fine up until the later minutes of the game. His defense was phenomenal as is usually the case but down the stretch what was with the missed free throws and that wide open layup?

so I know things will get extremely interesting down the stretch

Yah, I wouldn't anticipate this to effect OSU too much in January when real basketball starts. I still expect them to finish second in the Big Ten.

If only Burke came to Ohio State with Sullinger.. haha

That would have suuuuucked. I don't think OSU even offered him though because they were full at the guard position at the time. Also, he wasn't supposed to be THIS good.

#8 is now 4-2. They are just overrated. They lost a LOT after the draft. I don't really understand why they were that highly ranked in the first place.