Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tljay

Got News - the Rock Music News Forum

21 posts in this topic

Of course you don't have to use it if you don't like, but the intention of this forum is to have each thread/topic be a news article. The title would be the subject of the news story, and of course the body being the actual story. Including the source URL of the story is always nice at the end of each story, but please be sure there is a story or some sort of summary/paraphrase of what the whole story is (don't have the entire thread be just a link to a story somewhere else).

Woot, now we don't have to create 500 billion topics every time someone wants to make a new topic. We just post the news as we see it in a topic.

Very nice, Jay. Much appreciated.

Sure? That way it's easily seen and not hidden by like 40 posts of just talking from one other news article.

Stubbs
[^]
:

Sure? That way it's easily seen and not hidden by like 40 posts of just talking from one other news article.

I can see that would be pretty useful. Maybe this will also help it be easier to post more news on the site, too?

Mike
:

I don't see the point of this forum. Can't this just go in the everything rock forum? And what if it's little news that doesn't need its own thread?

The point of its own forum is that it has its own RSS feed, and then I can do this:

http://i51.tinypic.com/29li89j.jpg

It needs tweaking still, but you get the idea. Clicking the headline or "read more" would take you to the forum topic.

Jay
:

The point of its own forum is that it has its own RSS feed, and then I can do this:

It needs tweaking still, but you get the idea. Clicking the headline or "read more" would take you to the forum topic.

I like this idea. I just wish I actually had news or knew places to find news so that I could make use of this feature. I've never really known where to get news or how to get it before others do.

That's a cool idea, Jay. Me likey. I like to have a little bit more info above the link like the one by pschrade on that screenshot.

kyle1020
:

I like this idea. I just wish I actually had news or knew places to find news so that I could make use of this feature. I've never really known where to get news or how to get it before others do.

1. Make a Twitter account and Facebook account, and follow any band we might cover.

2. Get emailed press releases (a little harder to get on the lists, even harder to get back off of them), but they're usually a day or two behind.

3. Use Google Feed Reader (or any other reader) and add feeds for every other site, so you can see them all in one place.

That's pretty much it.

For exclusive stuff, you either have to get told directly by somebody who knows or figure it out on your own. That stuff's few and far between anyway. One thing we've been good at scooping is tour dates or pairings. For that, you have to sometimes look closely at bands' accounts. For instance, in the myspace days, the "top friends" would change to who they were about to announce a tour with. Same with Facebook likes and Twitter follows, or sometimes you'll see similarly worded stuff, like when both Adelitas Way and Framing Hanley kept both tweeting about a big tour announcement coming at the same time. For bigger tours, the big secret to us scooping those is that LiveNation and Ticketmaster both have flaws in their site, that if you go to a festival page or the headliner of a big tour, you can view the source of the page, and 99% of the time in the metadata that's not visible on the page itself, it lists the other artists on the bill. Of course, if that gets out they might fix it, but for now that's my big secret to those tours.

With just the Facebook and Twitter stuff, if you add enough bands, and spend enough time sitting there, you can run the most up-to-date and all-knowing site there is. That's not an exaggeration.

I appreciate the info, Jay. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind and try to take one of those routes in order to stay on top of things and perhaps contribute things that I can.