Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Will

Best rock songs featuring a violin

49 posts in this topic

I thought I'd ask because I love rock music that features a violin. I only know a few songs, so I figured I'd ask here to find some more. The ones that I like are:

"Down and Out" - Tantric
"Mein Herz brennt" - Rammstein
"Rebirthing" - Skillet

Of course there are others by those bands, but those are the ones that stand out to me. I'm sure I can think of others, but I want to hear which songs you guys like.

Almost any Skillet or Red song. Specifically "Comatose" by Skillet and "Pieces" by Red. If you consider "Pieces" rock that is, but I love it regardless.

Most of 'End of Silence' - Red has some great violin parts or violin within the songs. Superb use of orchestration in that album. Also the violin use has rolled into 'Innocence & Instinct' as well, and is done pretty good throughout that album, too. First song with it coming to mind is "Mystery of You".

Also, most of Yellowcard's stuff is pretty awesome and they use a violin 99% of the time I believe. I believe Tantric has a few songs that use violin, too, besides just "Down and Out".

That's all I can think of right now, but I'll think more about it and post anymore I come up with.

I think Apocalyptica is mostly all cellos, which I know you could argue are just big violins, but you don't really play them the same way. :)

There is also a fairly big difference if you compare the studio versions to the live versions of many of these songs.

Danse Russe by Hurt is AMAZING, both ways, but if you are looking at the violin then the live version is that much more stunning. J plays a solo that draws the attention of every eye and ear anywhere in the venue.

Tantric has a full time violinist, at least they did when I last saw them on their headlining tour.

Old Enough by Jack White's The Raconteurs, and a good live version of Two Step by Dave Matthews